1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Brake bleeding

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2020, 03:10 PM
humasima
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake bleeding

Hi, Newbie here.
I have a 2002 Durango, but the welcome email i got said to Wander on down to the Second Gen Dakota section.

Just a basic brake bleeding question, I replaced my front metal brake lines and tee.
I didn't touch the back lines, but is it possible i have to bleed the back?
I'm bleeding the front, no air left, no leaks anywhere, but the pedal isn't coming up much.
Pads and shoes are only about 1/3 worn, drums and rotors in good shape.
Brakes worked fine prior, it was a preventative replacement. Originals and looked like twigs.

I know the simple answer is to try it, but the back is older and i don't see why i would have to.
Thanks!

Old 10-24-2020, 10:04 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,335 Likes on 3,077 Posts

I'm an idiot, and can't read.

Moving this to the Durango section.

And yes, when you bleed brakes, always start in the back, regardless of if you opened the system or not. Right rear, Left rear, right front, left front.

Old 10-24-2020, 03:21 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 592 Likes on 537 Posts

Originally Posted by humasima
Hi, Newbie here.
I have a 2002 Durango, but the welcome email i got said to Wander on down to the Second Gen Dakota section.

Just a basic brake bleeding question, I replaced my front metal brake lines and tee.
I didn't touch the back lines, but is it possible i have to bleed the back?
I'm bleeding the front, no air left, no leaks anywhere, but the pedal isn't coming up much.
Pads and shoes are only about 1/3 worn, drums and rotors in good shape.
Brakes worked fine prior, it was a preventative replacement. Originals and looked like twigs.

I know the simple answer is to try it, but the back is older and i don't see why i would have to.
Thanks!

Any time the system is opened, you need to bleed the entire system. Air bubbles are sneaky and get in even if you're careful. Instead of moving fluid, they collapse and don't move prerssure.

Quick Reply: Brake bleeding