1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

2000 Durango 4.7L with "gremlins"

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2021, 04:48 PM
sporta
Veteran
Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
Default 2000 Durango 4.7L with "gremlins"

Hey all, my 2000 Durango had something really strange happen today. The turn signals are acting up. When you go to activate the signals (either L or R) and push the lever to the stops where it "locks" in place for the turn, the lights will flash for a few seconds then nothing. If you only partially press the lever in the direction of intended turn and HOLD it, they will flash just fine.....Sounds to me like a bad switch (or maybe dirty contacts) anyone have a suggestion on what could cause this?

Side note, as we were driving my lovely wife said maybe check the fuse, but that is not what my deaf **** heard....I thought she said maybe check the BLINKER FLUID...the incredulous look on my face as i turned to her and asked WTF did you just say? Because I thought you said blinker fluid....nope she said fuse....yep folks , sometimes I am thick as a brick lol

Steve

Old 05-28-2021, 06:10 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,335 Likes on 3,077 Posts

I would have liked to have seen the look on HER face when you mentioned blinker fluid. That had to have been stellar.

My first thought would have been the flasher module, but, if it works fine in the 'lane change' position.... That probably isn't it. Do the hazards work properly?

Old 05-31-2021, 03:24 PM
sporta
Veteran

Drove her yesterday and the blasted signals seemed to work just fine....damn gremlins...going to have to keep an eye on it.

Steve

Old 06-07-2021, 02:17 PM
sporta
Veteran

Ok. Back to the drawing board here. Took Red on an extended trip over the weekend. Turn signals were acting up all the time. Hazards when engaged seem to function correctly. The lane change position, will function 3 or 4 flashes then stop. Then it degraded to 1 or 2 flashes then stop. If lever is put in full turn mode, you might get 3 flashes or 1 then nothing. As the weekend moved on it seemed to get worse.

On a side note dealing with Gremlins, we shut Red off and had the ac on with fan blowing high when we stopped for a drink. Upon restart, the dash fans would NOT blow at any position. Shut off car, fire it back up...nada. Do it again and the fans worked in all positions.

Any suggestions on where to start looking for the gremlins? Dirty contact on the turn signal switch? Same on the fan or am I looking at something bigger?

Thanks in advance,
Steve

Old 06-07-2021, 02:20 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,335 Likes on 3,077 Posts

Think I would have a look at the connection at the ignition switch. Neither of those circuits are hot when the ignition is off.... Both are when ignition is on. Do you actually have a turn signal flasher? Or does that go thru the central timer module??

Old 06-07-2021, 02:46 PM
sporta
Veteran

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Think I would have a look at the connection at the ignition switch. Neither of those circuits are hot when the ignition is off.... Both are when ignition is on. Do you actually have a turn signal flasher? Or does that go thru the central timer module??
That I'm not sure of. I will have to check for a physical flasher tonight.

Thanks
Steve

Old 06-07-2021, 08:42 PM
Hippiezombiecow
Amateur
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sporta
That I'm not sure of. I will have to check for a physical flasher tonight.

Thanks
Steve
awhile ago I had my heater core replaced in my 2000 slt, i ran into a couple issues like yours, and then some, windows would only work every once in a while, turn signals did basically the same thing, if they worked at all. I ended up replacing the turn signal switch all my lights, and the flasher. While replacing the flasher i noticed that the shop I went to had left a ground off under the dash, once I found the correct bolt for it, and got it back on, everything worked perfectly, I even switched the flasher and signal switch back to the old ones and they even worked fine. I'd check your grounds, on my rig, there was one on the left and right side of the drivers foot well, as well as one on the right side of the passengers. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck with your "gremlins"

The following users liked this post:
sporta (06-07-2021)
Old 06-11-2021, 03:45 AM
sporta
Veteran

One of the gremlins has been truly slain! The turn signal gremlin was caused by the flasher unit! What a PITA to get to! I hope the engineers who decided where to place them stubs their little toe nightly! Luckily, baby red had one that functioned and the total cost was $0.00. That's a win in my book for sure. Now to figure out the fan control. It hasn't happened again (knock on simulated wood grain) so I'll just keep an eye on it.

Steve

Quick Reply: 2000 Durango 4.7L with "gremlins"