1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

98 Durango 5.9 4x4 steering knuckle part unfindable!

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2021, 10:37 PM
Rambo1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 Durango 5.9 4x4 steering knuckle part unfindable!

Hi all im new here..from st.cloud Florida...ive had this issue for years.. your forums helped me a ton!

Anybody know where i can find a 4x4 passenger side steering knuckle? I cant find them anywhere...i use to on ebay and they were $50 now i can only find 2nd 3rd 4th and 5th gens....

PLEASE HELP THIS IS MY BOO..HAD HER 15 YEARS! SHES GOT TONS OF NEW PARTS AND OFFROADS VERY WELL. THANKS IN ADVANCE..
STORY BELOW.

When to change the caliper and I found that the mounting holes for the bolt sliders were rusted and like everybody else I got to oversized bolts.

Well after many trials and tribulations I finally got down to reaming out the thread area and adding Chicago screws and then using the same size threaded bolts and it worked great and stop grinding on my wheels.

Well I was doing some other work which I've done tons of parts changes on here and I went to take the caliber off and redo the Chicago screw and I found the original bolt sliders work and the metal above the threaded area snapped off.

Long story short I can't find this part for the life of me! I'm thinking about welding the Chicago screw in and maybe some sort of metal above where the hole is that the metal snapped off of..

Images show

This is a Chicago screw.. it fits the reamed sliding bolts hole well and thread matches original sliding bolts..

Friggin lathed rim by wandering caliper..

Bolt holding but moving..need to weld Chicago screw or buy knuckle..only part i cant ever find! Steel about threaded hole snapped off! After alot of offroad use.

Circled red area is what snapped on passenger side..the top snapped off!

Last edited by Rambo1; 07-19-2021 at 10:48 PM. Reason: Photos
Old 07-20-2021, 07:29 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,396 Likes on 3,136 Posts

Try Car-Part.com. They can likely find you one, but, condition of the threads is going to be open to question.

Old 07-20-2021, 07:54 AM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

I'd go into this with the assumption that any used knuckle should have the holes drilled out and a helicoil installed. Those other inserts from your pictures seem sketchy to me.

On the car-part.com front, I've never had luck getting answers with their contact form for yards. Find the part you want then call that yard.

Old 07-20-2021, 10:21 AM
Rambo1

Originally Posted by that_guy
I'd go into this with the assumption that any used knuckle should have the holes drilled out and a helicoil installed. Those other inserts from your pictures seem sketchy to me.

On the car-part.com front, I've never had luck getting answers with their contact form for yards. Find the part you want then call that yard.
I see people have "upgraded" to 03 parts ...have you ever heard of that? Thanks for reply.

Old 07-20-2021, 11:59 AM
that_guy
Champion

Originally Posted by Rambo1
I see people have "upgraded" to 03 parts ...have you ever heard of that? Thanks for reply.
You can, but you need to get 03 front brakes (calipers, rotors, pads, and possibly hoses) and lower ball joints (which could use a couple thousandths knocked off the od) as well. You'll also need to get it aligned as the tie rod height changes a bit, but you should do that changing knuckles anyway.

The following users liked this post:
Rambo1 (07-22-2021)
Old 07-23-2021, 12:59 AM
Rambo1

Yea that pic is from someone trying to sell me a knuckle on Facecrook.. i doubt he has it anyway.. this sucks!

Old 07-25-2021, 01:30 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 98 Likes on 83 Posts

There was bulletin 05.03.99 to drill out the hole and install a helicoil Mopar kit number 05016155AA. Or check with your dealer for Mopar part numbers 52039450AB Right side or 52039451 Left side..

The following 2 users liked this post by master tech:
Rambo1 (08-07-2021), sporta (07-29-2021)
Old 08-07-2021, 07:03 AM
Rambo1

THe Final Solution:

Issue.

Hypothesis.

Results.

Consequences of the issue.

Many thanks for everybody's input. Much love!

Old 08-07-2021, 07:16 AM
Rambo1
Default Bulletin..

Originally Posted by master tech
There was bulletin 05.03.99 to drill out the hole and install a helicoil Mopar kit number 05016155AA. Or check with your dealer for Mopar part numbers 52039450AB Right side or 52039451 Left side..

Bulletin...! They should've taken responsibility and issued a new updated part with better anchors! To allow for the purchase and replacement but they haven't even allowed the manufacture of any new knuckle parts? Everything is dead stock? Is America really not forging it's own parts anymore??? I have come up with my own bolt scheme..! After having reamed out the holes and replacing the calipers (again) (with oversized slider pins beforehand) last resort was the bolts with the filler nuts and washers to prevent the shifting , rising and sinking brake grips, dangerous floating steering, and obnoxious clanking.. and the ugly grinding noise of the custom dodge lathe of it's infamous brake innovation!

course as a temporary fix not knowing the ferocity of the subject ..

This Chicago screw ended up just happening as an improvised solution which (so far has been great! ) I've lost many slider pins and rubber grommets!

Rambo..

Last edited by Rambo1; 08-07-2021 at 07:19 AM.
Old 08-07-2021, 10:49 AM
that_guy
Champion

Not gonna lie, that looks sketchy at best. I would never trust something like that welded to cast iron, let alone on something as critical as brakes.

Drilling out the holes and putting in helicoils works fine as a solution. And they did release an updated part for the 2003 trucks. No more slide pins, completely different caliper setup.

Quick Reply: 98 Durango 5.9 4x4 steering knuckle part unfindable!