1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

DDI - worth buying as youngtimer?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2021, 12:48 AM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 381 Likes on 342 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Correct. We don't have the distribution capacity, or the generation capacity. If you live near a large city, your chances are better, (but, not in California, with rolling brownouts.....) Of course, the only folks that know this are the power companies, and maybe one or two politicians, but, they don't talk about that. It's the elephant in the room.
Not in California? Cali is leading the way with electric vehicles and charging networks. Electric lift trucks? I fail to see the relevance. Never seen anyone go electric and want to go back. Not saying it’s not possible but most view it as an improvement. I will still have my Dak if I get one. Unless it’s a pickup.

Last edited by Dodgevity; 10-12-2021 at 12:54 AM.
Old 10-12-2021, 06:05 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,335 Likes on 3,077 Posts

Originally Posted by Dodgevity
Not in California? Cali is leading the way with electric vehicles and charging networks. Electric lift trucks? I fail to see the relevance. Never seen anyone go electric and want to go back. Not saying it’s not possible but most view it as an improvement. I will still have my Dak if I get one. Unless it’s a pickup.
Yes, California is leading the way with electrification, however, they still have capacity issues. And now they are talking about taking out even MORE hydro-power generation..... (which only makes the problem worse)

Of course, they are also talking about banning small gas engines. If you were considering new product development, coming up with an electric zero-turn commercial mower would be a really good move about now.

Old 10-12-2021, 06:55 AM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 592 Likes on 537 Posts

Relevance? If you have to make a run down to take care of an elderly parent, you have to go NOW! No time for charging. The same with electric commercial equipment. Every few months I go down to visit the kid and her family. 720 miles one way. It takes most of a day. A week or so later, a day to come back. A 300 mile range would make that three days, IF I could find charge ports. Back when I was young and stupid (I'm not young anymore) I drove a truck and would often run 10-14 hours, take a 2 hour nap while the lumpers did their thing, wash a couple of caffeine pills down with a coke and drive another 3 or 4 before I'd stop for a while.

Figure an average of 50 miles and hour dealing with traffic on the interstates. That's 4 hours run time, maybe a little more. Use your heat or a/c and the range will reduce.

Old 10-12-2021, 06:58 AM
ol' grouch
Champion

Yes, California is leading the way with electrification, however, they still have capacity issues. And now they are talking about taking out even MORE hydro-power generation..... (which only makes the problem worse)

Of course, they are also talking about banning small gas engines. If you were considering new product development, coming up with an electric zero-turn commercial mower would be a really good move about now.

Electric Zero turn mowers are here. I saw one at either Lowe's or Home Depot the other day. Fine for keeping the grass cut.but if you're trying to clean up an over grown field, I mowed a field once with a gas mower and it took 3 tanks of fuel when 3/4 of one tank will usually take care of it.

Old 10-12-2021, 07:04 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by ol' grouch
Electric Zero turn mowers are here. I saw one at either Lowe's or Home Depot the other day. Fine for keeping the grass cut.but if you're trying to clean up an over grown field, I mowed a field once with a gas mower and it took 3 tanks of fuel when 3/4 of one tank will usually take care of it.
I think the biggest problem Cali is going to see with that particular law, is all the commercial uses for small gas engines, that there really isn't a good alternative for. Buddy of mine works for the power company trimmin' trees. He is frequently out in the sticks, (swamp.... miles from anything resembling and electrical outlet) And I am thinkin' an electric chainsaw just isn't going to work. For it to be as powerful as his gas equipment, its gonna have to be BIG. Try climbing a tree toting THAT around. and batteries aren't going to last long either...... Make the battery bigger, the saw just got heavier.

I think this particular instance is a fine example of politicians passing a law, which they have absolutely no conception of what the consequences are going to be.......

Old 10-12-2021, 07:49 AM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 381 Likes on 342 Posts

Originally Posted by ol' grouch
If you have to make a run down to take care of an elderly parent, you have to go NOW! No time for charging. The same with electric commercial equipment. Every few months I go down to visit the kid and her family. 720 miles one way.
He is frequently out in the sticks, (swamp.... miles from anything resembling and electrical outlet) And I am thinkin' an electric chainsaw just isn't going to work. For it to be as powerful as his gas equipment, its gonna have to be BIG. Try climbing a tree toting THAT around. and batteries aren't going to last long either...... Make the battery bigger, the saw just got heavier.
So safer, lighter and longer lasting batteries + faster charging. These are key obstacles to overcome. Well, as I was saying... OPEC/Oil companies enabled an electric revolution and it serves them right. Even today, they are manipulating gas prices by playing games with supply. How's it looking at the pump? We're at $3 a gallon in ATL and my truck gets around 14 mpg on a good traffic week. Don't let me get stuck in jams.

There are infinite amounts of research going into making better batteries and auto makers are looking to phase out gas engines, not improve them, so they are drivers of this research. We must remember that the oil companies snuffed out and retarded much of the technology that could have been here decades ago, so there is much room to grow in battery improvements. We are barely scratching the surface at this early stage. https://www.pocket-lint.com/gadgets/...r-over-the-air

Personally, I find these to be exciting times.

Here's your mower...
https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-42...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

Last edited by Dodgevity; 10-12-2021 at 08:01 AM.
Old 10-12-2021, 05:57 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

So safer, lighter and longer lasting batteries + faster charging. These are key obstacles to overcome. Well, as I was saying... OPEC/Oil companies enabled an electric revolution and it serves them right. Even today, they are manipulating gas prices by playing games with supply. How's it looking at the pump? We're at $3 a gallon in ATL and my truck gets around 14 mpg on a good traffic week. Don't let me get stuck in jams.

There are infinite amounts of research going into making better batteries and auto makers are looking to phase out gas engines, not improve them, so they are drivers of this research. We must remember that the oil companies snuffed out and retarded much of the technology that could have been here decades ago, so there is much room to grow in battery improvements. We are barely scratching the surface at this early stage. https://www.pocket-lint.com/gadgets/...r-over-the-air

Personally, I find these to be exciting times.

Here's your mower...
https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-42...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
What it doesn't talk about is, how long it takes to recharge after mowing three acres..... or, how long it takes to mow those three acres. My yard is 3.25 acres.... so, mow, charge, mow some more.... would I be able to do it in one day? Or would I have to wait until the next day (charging time) to do that last little bit? It takes me 3 to 4 hours on a rider, with a 62" deck... and that is moving right along, for a four wheel tractor.... and my yard is ROUGH, I wouldn't wanna go much faster on something with a shorter wheelbase...... Tried a zero turn here once, only did a part of my yard, and HATED it. The ride was terrible......

And what about the folks that do lawns for a living? They are doing a LOT more than 3 acres a day..... have a bunch of mowers, so when one gets low, you just grab another?? Not like the homeowners are going to pay you to sit and watch your mower charge.

Old 10-12-2021, 07:59 PM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 376 Likes on 354 Posts

Hydrogen fuel cells weren't mentioned, Don't have to worry about charging batteries. I was watching a show about what will be used in the future for transportation. There are semi's powered by hydrogen out there now. I'm waiting to see a zero emission air plane!

Old 10-12-2021, 09:08 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

True, fuel cells might be better, in some ways. But, still, I doubt there are going to be 'portable' tanks for hydrogen....... and still, something like that on a chain saw?? I really don't think so.

Old 10-12-2021, 09:38 PM
ol' grouch
Champion

Originally Posted by Moparite
Hydrogen fuel cells weren't mentioned, Don't have to worry about charging batteries. I was watching a show about what will be used in the future for transportation. There are semi's powered by hydrogen out there now. I'm waiting to see a zero emission air plane!

One truck manufacturer built two prototype trucks for field testing in California. With the requirement that ALL vehicles be battery powered, there won't be any more. (I think it was Volvo but I may be wrong) Hydrogen does have promise and the tanks are similar to LPG tanks so that's a plus. However, the production and shipment of H is problematic.

California has a LOT of restrictions already. Trucks currently in service have to meet new vehicle standards. This is part of the reason for port backups slowing delivery of goods. That 15 year old truck has to be rebuilt or replaced with a new one. The owner/operators are working on slim margins already somany are parking their rigs.

Quick Reply: DDI - worth buying as youngtimer?