1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

DDI - worth buying as youngtimer?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2021, 01:28 PM
shiremux
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DDI - worth buying as youngtimer?

Hey there,
I'am currently looking for a DDI there in eastern europe, thing is, i want this car to be a weekend warrior and keep it as youngtimer/classic, how does the value of the durango 1st gen decrease or increased during past few years?
Is it good investment as classic/youngtimer car?
sorry for my english, doing my best there

Old 10-08-2021, 03:49 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,335 Likes on 3,077 Posts

Unless it is some special edition, value will go down, regardless of what you do.

Old 10-09-2021, 03:25 AM
shiremux
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well its just a 5.9 with leather seats and dvd players in headrests, nothing fancy i suppose

Old 10-09-2021, 10:50 AM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 592 Likes on 537 Posts

Originally Posted by shiremux
Hey there,
I'am currently looking for a DDI there in eastern europe, thing is, i want this car to be a weekend warrior and keep it as youngtimer/classic, how does the value of the durango 1st gen decrease or increased during past few years?
Is it good investment as classic/youngtimer car?
sorry for my english, doing my best there

Right now it will just be a used car. If you do a lot of custom work, someone MIGHT be impressed to give you a lot of money for it. Probably not though.If you keep it in good shape for 25 years or so, yes, it will go up. Mainly because most of them will be gone. Generally, production cars are not a good investment. They are more like appliances. A few years down the road, the new models come out and the old one is just a used piece of equipment.

Old 10-10-2021, 09:28 AM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

They'll all be going for $1M in 10 years.

The following users liked this post:
jims (10-17-2021)
Old 10-10-2021, 10:27 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 376 Likes on 354 Posts

Generally, production cars are not a good investment. They are more like appliances. A few years down the road, the new models come out and the old one is just a used piece of equipment.
Some (like me) would disagree, Driving a second gen truck compared to one of the new ugly trucks is a no brainer. As for appliances i bought washer at a scratch/dent outlet years ago. Today you will not find one like it! Even the top of the line ones have at least one **** on them. Mine is sleek black porcelain with a smooth no ***** control panel with bush buttons and a digital readout. Even if i did want to buy a new one who knows how long it would take to get here since everything is on hold/back order. The OP is in eastern Europe, Not sure how many American vehicles are over there. How many GT Falcon's do you see over on US soil? If you don't know what a GT Falcon is the name Mad Max might ring a bell. Not a lot of them over here witch raises the $ value. Same goes for the Mexican Ramcharger. You may get the same response from one of the bidders trying to get 69 Camaro at Barret Jackson. Although it's hard to compare a "classic" vintage car(not a Camaro by the way in my opinion) to what is readily available anywhere today. What a run of the mill Durango will be worth in 30+ years who knows but they produced a lot of them so that will factor in. By then we might not have gas to put in our classics and have to convert them to electric.

Old 10-10-2021, 11:37 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by Moparite
Some (like me) would disagree, Driving a second gen truck compared to one of the new ugly trucks is a no brainer. As for appliances i bought washer at a scratch/dent outlet years ago. Today you will not find one like it! Even the top of the line ones have at least one **** on them. Mine is sleek black porcelain with a smooth no ***** control panel with bush buttons and a digital readout. Even if i did want to buy a new one who knows how long it would take to get here since everything is on hold/back order. The OP is in eastern Europe, Not sure how many American vehicles are over there. How many GT Falcon's do you see over on US soil? If you don't know what a GT Falcon is the name Mad Max might ring a bell. Not a lot of them over here witch raises the $ value. Same goes for the Mexican Ramcharger. You may get the same response from one of the bidders trying to get 69 Camaro at Barret Jackson. Although it's hard to compare a "classic" vintage car(not a Camaro by the way in my opinion) to what is readily available anywhere today. What a run of the mill Durango will be worth in 30+ years who knows but they produced a lot of them so that will factor in. By then we might not have gas to put in our classics and have to convert them to electric.
Yeah, that's my fear.... It seems most of the major manufacturers are moving away from internal combustion motors, and are planning to be all electric by 2035... some of 'em, by 2030...... I hate to think what that is going to do to my electric bill.... It seems that power generation is falling short of demand already..... and there aren't any new power plants being built. Americans seem to be allergic to nuclear power, even though that would solve a lot of our issues. (thorium salt reactors, much less waste from them. safer all the way around) My electric bill recently went up because of these issue.... almost 50%. And at this point, electric cars are still less than 5% of cars on the road. It's only gonna get worse. Really not looking forward to paying a hundred bucks a day to run my A/C.......

Old 10-10-2021, 01:14 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Like you said, they keep pushing electric, but we already have to import electricity in this country. But that doesn't stop the radical left. They want to limit movement (can't charge your car or buy gas), issue identification and track where you go (vaccine passports and tracking), and so on. This is how to create a dictatorship 101 going on right now.

Old 10-10-2021, 01:21 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 592 Likes on 537 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Yeah, that's my fear.... It seems most of the major manufacturers are moving away from internal combustion motors, and are planning to be all electric by 2035... some of 'em, by 2030...... I hate to think what that is going to do to my electric bill.... It seems that power generation is falling short of demand already..... and there aren't any new power plants being built. Americans seem to be allergic to nuclear power, even though that would solve a lot of our issues. (thorium salt reactors, much less waste from them. safer all the way around) My electric bill recently went up because of these issue.... almost 50%. And at this point, electric cars are still less than 5% of cars on the road. It's only gonna get worse. Really not looking forward to paying a hundred bucks a day to run my A/C.......

Furd and GiMee are saying no more gas engines around 2030. The EU is saying no IC engines around 2040. I think Kalifornia is much sooner than that. I'm not sure of the current statistics, but about 5 or 6 years ago, Europe had a 3% surplus of power over its needs. The U.S. though was 16% below needs. The current technical state of electric vehicles isn't much better than when electric cars were a substantial part of the market. 200 miles, on a good day, is the most you can get. Then you have to charge it. Forget going to see Grammy when she lives 300 miles away. Hybrid cars are viable right now but the status seekers are pushing all electric.

With older IC engined cars, they may very well go up in price when no new ones are built. I figure Furd and GiMee may just say it's coming soon, but will keep selling what sells. The EU may have a political change when the realities of economics come up. As for myself, I like the older stuff as the mechanics are tried and true. The first generation of Magnum engines were a continuation of engines that go back the the Red Ram 241 of 1953. The second generation ones are more complex and sometimes problematic. I have had a 4.7 and won't have another if I can avoid it. Other people are the same way. Hence, I had a fellow trade me a motorcycle for a '93 GMC pickup.

Old 10-10-2021, 03:13 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Whoever got the bike got a HELL of a deal there.

Quick Reply: DDI - worth buying as youngtimer?