1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Deteriorating headliner

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2023, 07:20 PM
theresajengle
Amateur
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Deteriorating headliner

Does any one have any suggestions of what I can do to about my deteriorating headliner in my 2000 Dodge Durango. I tried spray glue and I was very pleased of how it was working until the next day when I found it all hanging down much worse. It seems to me that the "steriphone type material" underneath the "cloth type materiel" wouldn’t hold because of the deteriorating material crumbling. I can't think of any solutions, not even a clue. It's really bad now, interfering with my vision. THANK YOU

Old 07-17-2023, 07:53 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,275 Likes on 3,022 Posts

Several folks here have re-covered the cardboard backing. You can get the headliner material at various places online, and then use your spray glue to stick it on. You are correct, the foam-stuff backing deteriorates, and just re-gluing it simply doesn't work.

Welcome to DF!

The following users liked this post:
theresajengle (07-17-2023)
Old 07-17-2023, 08:15 PM
theresajengle
Amateur

UMMM "headliner material at various places online" I am lost. my thoughts are since it will be myself that will be doing it, cause i never even heard of any type ofbusiness that would this kind of work.It would seem to me that I would have to find an exact replacement like from a junk yard,but don't wanna go that route thinking I wouldn't find much in better shape than what I have. Also it would seem to me that it would have to be custom to fit exactly, like the whole ceiling! I am afraid that if I took down whats there that I would be left with bare metal and what would or could do with that? I can fix a lot of things but this is new territory for me with out even knowing anyone who even could do it… thanx

Old 07-17-2023, 08:17 PM
theresajengle
Amateur

and this "cardboard backing" you mentioned, was it pre cut to fit?

Old 07-17-2023, 08:50 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Received 3,275 Likes on 3,022 Posts

Pull your headliner, take the existing cloth off. Take it to a fabric shop nearby, they can match it up for you, and likely even with the foam backing. (in its undeteriorated state. ) What's left after you remove the material, is the backing. Might be cardboard, might be pressed board, or any of a number of other materials, but, it'll be there. Clean the old glue/foam off, carefully apply glue and the new material, reinstall. It's tedious, but, not incredibly difficult. Search for 'headliner" in the truck forums. Several folks in there have done it.

theresajengle (07-19-2023)
Old 07-18-2023, 08:03 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Received 340 Likes on 303 Posts

This might help.

Old 07-18-2023, 10:12 AM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 379 Likes on 340 Posts

I did none of that. The factory glue either fails horribly or it doesn't at all. Replaced mine with a junkyard headliner for roughly $15 back in 2013. Been good ever since.

Old 07-18-2023, 04:39 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 581 Likes on 526 Posts

Originally Posted by theresajengle
Does any one have any suggestions of what I can do to about my deteriorating headliner in my 2000 Dodge Durango. I tried spray glue and I was very pleased of how it was working until the next day when I found it all hanging down much worse. It seems to me that the "steriphone type material" underneath the "cloth type materiel" wouldn’t hold because of the deteriorating material crumbling. I can't think of any solutions, not even a clue. It's really bad now, interfering with my vision. THANK YOU

If your car is a beater and you just want it out of your eyes, use a stapler. Make some cardboard strips and staple them to the headliner board.It's going to get worse. Someone spent a lot of time smoking in the car and cigarette smoke destroys the foam. It does the same thing to your lungs but the lungs can recover a bit.

If you want it nice, it's a medium repair job. Remove the headliner, board and all. Pull the old headliners material off and wire brush the rotten foam until you get a nice clean board. Go to a sewing supply store like Jo Anne fabrics. They sell the headliner material by the yard. Measure your board with at least 4 inches past the edges so you have something to fold over. Lay the board down with the fabric side up. Lay the fabric out on it and trim to leave the outer edge on it. Lay it out in the sun to warm up. Meanwhile, use spray adhesive to lightly cover the entire board surface. Lay the fabric on the board. It helps to have an extra pair of hands for a large one. Use a plastic straight edge, like you would apply bondo with, to smooth the fabric out and get rid of the wrinkles. Once it's nice and smooth, set it out of the weather overnight for the glue to cure. Once it's cured, flip it over and glue the edges down onto the back side. Let this cure and the next day, you can put the headliner into the car. When I got my pickup a couple of years ago, the previous owner had had a trim shop put one in the truck for a cost of about $350.

Old 07-19-2023, 10:46 AM
theresajengle
Amateur

thank you.. i will look into what you said

Old 07-19-2023, 10:56 AM
theresajengle
Amateur

"Welcome to DF! " THANK YOU!!