Next problem needing to fix

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2023, 06:49 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,277 Likes on 3,024 Posts

Torch? Or Torque???

You can do this in a parking lot.... but, if you run into issues, that may cause you some other trouble. I know most apartment complexes really don't care for folks working on their car in the parking lot..... Have a friend with a driveway you would borrow for a bit??

The following users liked this post:
theresajengle (08-18-2023)
Old 08-17-2023, 10:06 AM
theresajengle
Amateur
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Torch? Or Torque???

You can do this in a parking lot.... but, if you run into issues, that may cause you some other trouble. I know most apartment complexes really don't care for folks working on their car in the parking lot..... Have a friend with a driveway you would borrow for a bit??
Sorry, I meant "Torque." u-tube explains that I would need to use a Torque wrench on one of the parts, I was wondering if that is mandatory? I remember when I would frequently work on the front end of my 1972 Chevy 4x4. I had read some where that a certain amount of Torque was needed, with a torque wrench, I didn’t have a torque wrench so I never used one, just like a pickle fork, I never used that either & never had any issues.

My question is, can I do the job without a torque wrench or would that be a bad idea? If I need to use a torque wrench, is there somewhere that I can borrow one like the "tie rod tool?"

I completely agree with you about working on cars in apartment buildings. But, I am confident that if I get everything I need, and it all goes smoothly, no issues arise, I figure I should be able to do it in one day. And I don’t think anyone will complain. Everyone already knows & sees me working on my car all the time. Even the manager complimented me for working on my car.

And yes, I did first try to find a driveway to borrow like you said. But, that didnt pan out.

THANK YOU

Old 08-17-2023, 11:23 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Depends on far you are disassembling things. If you are just doing tie rods, and such, likely they want a torque wrench for the lug nuts...... Not an absolute requirement, but, still a good idea to have one. Should be able to rent one from your local parts store, should the need arise.

Old 08-17-2023, 11:51 AM
theresajengle
Amateur

Yes, im doing just tie rods, hopefully, im checking breaks & everything else I can see. Does anyone know how I can find out how many pounds of torque required for the outer tie rod that connects to the steering knuckle? Is it different for each car?

THANK YOU!!

Old 08-17-2023, 06:25 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Tighten em down so they are fully seated, and two grunts. Then, however much more you need to tighten them to get the cotter keys in.

Old 08-18-2023, 08:36 AM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 379 Likes on 340 Posts

Tie rod...last on the list.

Old 08-18-2023, 10:16 AM
theresajengle
Amateur

Thank you

Old 09-05-2023, 01:20 PM
theresajengle
Amateur

HELLO EVERYONE,

I DID IT!!! (with all of your help of course)

This weekend I rented the torque wrench, tie rod tool & got all the tools I needed & I replaced both inner & outer tie rods with new ones! Went smoothly,

I have an appointment tomorrow at the shop for an alignment. I did drive it around the block to see if anything would fall off… LOL!! otherwise I'm not driving it till I drive it to the alignment shop, it's only a couple miles at most.

I do want to thank you all for the help, I wouldn’t have been able to do it without you all!!!

For sure I will be on to the next task that my car will need and will have more questions to ask...

THANX AGAIN FOR ALL YOUR HELP AGAIN!!

The following 2 users liked this post by theresajengle:
Dodgevity (09-06-2023), sporta (09-05-2023)
Old 09-06-2023, 09:53 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Awesome!

Old 09-06-2023, 12:30 PM
theresajengle
Amateur

CANT ALIGNED, BAD BALL JOINT

I took my Durango in for an alignment after I just put on new inner & outer tie rods on both sides, the shop said that they cant align it because of a bad upper ball joint on the passengers side.
Looks like im gonna now have to replace all 4 ball joints, both upper & lower on both sides.
Anyone have any advice? What will I need?
Also, the mechanic said that he is 90% sure that I put the outer tie rod in the steering knuckle upside down! WOW! Guess I need to figure that out.
I am concerned about driving it with it not aligned & if the tie rods are upside down. Will it cause harm or dangerous?

Quick Reply: Next problem needing to fix