1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Next problem needing to fix

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2023, 04:53 PM
theresajengle
Amateur
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Next problem needing to fix

I was told by an auto shop when they replaced a few lug nut studs, that my 2000 dodge durango needs both inner tie rods. does anyone have any advice on how to do this? years ago, i used to have a 1972 chevy 4x4 which i did all the work on it but it was much different than this 2000 2 wheel drive dodge durango. How can i check it myself? what would i look for to reassure that it does need these inner tie rods? thank you

Old 08-08-2023, 06:49 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,393 Likes on 3,133 Posts

Jack it up, check for slop. Rack and pinion steering isn't it? If so, there just aren't many parts there to worry about.

The following users liked this post:
theresajengle (08-18-2023)
Old 08-08-2023, 01:39 PM
theresajengle
Amateur

I was planning on jacking it up & check for "slop" but im not sure if it has rack & pinion steering. Not so much thinking about the tie rod, I'm not sure why but I feel paranoid about the front end when driving it, really bad roads here in PA. hitting those ruts feels like a tank and gonna fall apart. shows no reason, no noise or anything that I can tell wrong. I am concerned about lack of lubrication, bearings, ball-joints, and what ever all is there that can break, like I said before, I spent my life on my 1972 chevy 4x4 monster truck. rolled it twice, built it 3 times. I was mostly in the water, I used boat grease, and it was always needing grease & gear oil, what didn’t have a zerc fitting I put one in. Point is this car is 23 years old, 314.000 miles on it and nothing lasts forever, I cant afford to let something break. I have to be ahead of any potential issues. It sounds great to think what you said "there just aren't many parts there to worry about" but im still worried, until I get in there and see. What would happen if the inner tie rod were to fail? THANK YOU!!

Old 08-08-2023, 04:16 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by theresajengle
I was planning on jacking it up & check for "slop" but im not sure if it has rack & pinion steering. Not so much thinking about the tie rod, I'm not sure why but I feel paranoid about the front end when driving it, really bad roads here in PA. hitting those ruts feels like a tank and gonna fall apart. shows no reason, no noise or anything that I can tell wrong. I am concerned about lack of lubrication, bearings, ball-joints, and what ever all is there that can break, like I said before, I spent my life on my 1972 chevy 4x4 monster truck. rolled it twice, built it 3 times. I was mostly in the water, I used boat grease, and it was always needing grease & gear oil, what didn’t have a zerc fitting I put one in. Point is this car is 23 years old, 314.000 miles on it and nothing lasts forever, I cant afford to let something break. I have to be ahead of any potential issues. It sounds great to think what you said "there just aren't many parts there to worry about" but im still worried, until I get in there and see. What would happen if the inner tie rod were to fail? THANK YOU!!
If a tie rod fails, you instantly become a passenger with a steering wheel, that may, or may not influence your direction of travel. Let me tell ya, that is most certainly a pants-filling moment..... you are going to go the direction the truck choose, until you can bring it to a stop. Generally, as soon as you step on the brake, the side with the break, will flop back to it's stop, and essentially be dragged sideways..... tends to slow ya down relatively quickly, but steering? Yeah. Good luck with that. You really would prefer NOT to experience that.

So, crawl under there, see what ya got. Have someone else wiggle the steering and wheel, while you watch and see what moves, that shouldn't, and what doesn't move, that should.....

theresajengle (08-09-2023)
Old 08-09-2023, 09:17 AM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 386 Likes on 347 Posts

Jack it up with the jack on the lower control arm. This loads the suspension and leaves things free to dangle. Grab the tire with both hands and rock at different angles. You'll see what's loose.

These are cheap and great for pulling tie rods. Sorry, I couldn't make the pic any bigger.

https://www.harborfreight.com/tie-ro...tie+rod+puller

Last edited by Dodgevity; 08-09-2023 at 09:20 AM.
theresajengle (08-18-2023)
Old 08-09-2023, 10:37 AM
theresajengle
Amateur

SourceYour description of what would happen if the tie rod would fail, was what I had thought too.

After I finally got the front end off the ground yesterday. With what I had, an old rusty scissor jack with out the correct handle, I found no play/slop when I would wiggle from top to bottom of the tires on both sides, BUT, I did find some play when I wiggled the tires side to side on both sides. I tried to pull on the tie rods for movement but there was none.

I still have it up on jack stands. So today I will do as you suggested & Have someone else wiggle the steering wheel & watch and see what moves, that shouldn't, and what doesn't move, that should.

Thank you. Im sure I will have more questions as I go along, I really appreciate your help.

Old 08-09-2023, 10:47 AM
theresajengle
Amateur

I have a scissor jack in the middle holding all the weight, because the jack stands I have under the lower control arms are not touching the car. I cant get the scissor jack to go up higher, so the jack stands are just there basically for safety.

Like I said, I have only found a little play when rocking the tires side to side, on both sides, BUT. I can't see why or where or whats loose. Thank you

Old 08-09-2023, 11:00 AM
theresajengle
Amateur

Originally Posted by HeyYou
If a tie rod fails, you instantly become a passenger with a steering wheel, that may, or may not influence your direction of travel. Let me tell ya, that is most certainly a pants-filling moment..... you are going to go the direction the truck choose, until you can bring it to a stop. Generally, as soon as you step on the brake, the side with the break, will flop back to it's stop, and essentially be dragged sideways..... tends to slow ya down relatively quickly, but steering? Yeah. Good luck with that. You really would prefer NOT to experience that.

So, crawl under there, see what ya got. Have someone else wiggle the steering and wheel, while you watch and see what moves, that shouldn't, and what doesn't move, that should.....
"what doesn't move, that should...." what parts would i look for that dont move but should?

Old 08-09-2023, 06:08 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Usually the tires.

Is your rack and pinion? Or recirculating ball?

Old 08-15-2023, 09:47 PM
theresajengle
Amateur

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Usually the tires.

Is your rack and pinion? Or recirculating ball?
I'm sure rack & pinion. I have decided to go ahead & replace both inner & outer tie rods, I've been looking online & they are much cheaper than at local auto stores. I would like to find tie rods that have zerc fittings.

I was told that local auto stores will loan the tie rod tool for free, I still have to look for that. I have been collecting all the tools & stuff to do this job, jacks & blocks of wood, etc.

Im gonna do this at my apt complex that I live at. Im planning everything I can to be able to do this job as quick & hopefully unnoticeable as possible. I don't want to get in trouble, I think I can pull it off, with enough pre-planning. Lol,

I have watched a lot of u-tube videos & they mention having to apply some amount of torch, depending on the vehicle, I don’t know how many pounds of torch that applies to my vehicle or where to find out.

Does anyone know how I can find out the torch? Does it HAVE to be at a certain torch? Would I be able to borrow a torch wrench some where too?

U-tube said that after I have installed the new tie rods that I will have to take it some where to be aligned.

THANK YOU!!

you all have been so helpful to me fixing my car one issue after the other, I know that because my car is 23 years old & has over 314.000 miles on it, that to keep it running that it will always need something. I have to stay ahead of it, prevent any big issues, because I cant afford to pay a mechanic. I cant afford a new car. BUT, I can and have been taking really good care of it, people are impressed with it's condition and most of the issues no one can even tell.

Quick Reply: Next problem needing to fix