1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Keep or swap...

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2024, 05:54 PM
TurfTaurus318
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Keep or swap...

This motor that I got in here, is it worth messing around putting a rebuilt or a reman trans behind this 318 that's got a quarter of a million miles? I'd love to find a later Coronet body and put the 318 in it, Any suggestions?

Last edited by TurfTaurus318; 08-08-2024 at 05:55 PM. Reason: Better wording
Old 08-08-2024, 07:11 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,307 Likes on 3,052 Posts

What shape is the rest of the vehicle in?

Old Today, 06:34 PM
TurfTaurus318
Default In reply

The bones of the vehicle are in really good shape, as far as the inside goes, it's a different story lol. I was going to make it a work truck kind of thing... I don't know. I just know that with the 5.2, the truck was me, if that makes any sense. I don't know if you remember talking about it before, but I was wanting to put a standard in it kind of like the old RamCharger.

Old Today, 07:36 PM
Los_Control

Originally Posted by TurfTaurus318
This motor that I got in here, is it worth messing around putting a rebuilt or a reman trans behind this 318 that's got a quarter of a million miles? I'd love to find a later Coronet body and put the 318 in it, Any suggestions?
Seems that is a really open ended question without knowing what your 318 is installed in.

I'm a firm believer that 300K is a good number for a engine .... 250k Is not bad .... but is time to consider a rebuild no matter how well it runs.

Just depends on if you want to keep the vehicle. .... I have a 1993 caravan with 187K miles on it, the rebuilt transmission has 22K miles and the used engine I installed has 135K.

I have a 1991 chebby Silverado truck with 430K miles on the truck .... runs and drives like a new truck .... no idea how many actual miles on the drive train ....

All it takes is $$ and time to do repairs and maintenance .... depends on you if you have a vehicle you love enough to maintain it.
Hint .... is cheaper then a car payment and full coverage insurance.

Quick Reply: Keep or swap...