1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Rust problems underneath..

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2006, 06:20 PM
M Shark
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rust problems underneath..

I own a 2002 Durango SXT and while I was crawling underneath to install my Borla exhaust I could not believe the amount of rust and decay I found underneath. My 1997 BMW M3 almost has no rust except for areas that bottom out due to it's lowered profile but other than that it's clean underneath. The Durango on the other hand has areas where layers of metal are just peeling off in rust! Is this a common thing or am I unique to this?? This is my first and only domestic that I've owned so I'm not too familiar with it.

Any comments?? Is there anything I could do to prevent more rust? Like spray something like that Rhino lining for truck beds?

Old 08-23-2006, 07:29 PM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Rust problems underneath..

What you would need to do is get it cleaned up as best as you can and then get an undercoating mine is doing it some too. I'll be needing a full exhaust within the next few years damned salt...

Old 08-24-2006, 04:01 AM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Good thing I live in Texas, we don't experience salty flavored highways too often. But there are times when old man winter do pay us a visit and we really pour on the sand and salt. On those days, I rarely drive out on the roads only to let some stupid idiot driver that should not be out driving total my D! But when I do have to take my D out, I always take it to a full service car wash so they can really pour on the high pressure cleaning solution to wash the underbody as soon as the weather clears and the street cleaners clean up most of the salt and sand. To date, I have no rust anywhere on the underbody. I may need to get some undercoating spray under there anyways as my D is aging now. I wonder, do they have rhino spray for underbodies? that'll be so cool as I would think it will also deaden the road noise quite a bit as well. Make your inside cabin much quieter. And possibly lower the exhaust noise from your performance mufflers!

Old 08-24-2006, 07:59 AM
Jpondo5.9
Professional

well if they can paint it .. they can rino it.. so sais my good friend.. he is a crazy off roader.. has a little toyota truck that is rino lined ever where around the role bars ever where and he loves it because he flips on a rock and nocking gets scracht and yeah.. but now I am interested in looking that up.. there is spray you can buy to help protech against rust.. but salt is killer I live in utah where it snows a lot during the winter so we no the salty roads.. but as well good news is if you just see rust and not errosen then ther rust has mad a natural barrer and it should be just fine under there.. but reading this makes me want to take a look under my D again see how my baby is doing.... JP...

Old 08-24-2006, 12:22 PM
M Shark
Professional

I just moved here to McAllen Texas. I was previously living up north in NH, the winters were harsh and roads were a bitch but I always had the D washed every week just to try and keep up with cleanliness the best I can. Unless you crawl underneath it, you really can't see anything wrong, the outside and interior of the truck is flawless as I detail it as much as I do the M3. My current detailing set up for the D is SSR2.5 / Orange pad using a Porter Cable 7424 Random Orbital Buffer / Vanilla Moose / Black pad Pinnacle Souveran hand applied and removed. I was just so disappointed when I saw what the condition of the undercarriage looked like. On my free time I'll try to steel brush and sand as much as I can and apply some protective coating to at least delay the carnage underneath. I'll look into a shop that can probably have the undercarriage sprayed with rhino liner. That stuff looks like it can take more than a beating!

Old 08-24-2006, 08:44 PM
Mean Green
Champion

In AZ where I lived you could count on snow, I was in Flagstaff which is 7k feet above sea level. When it snowed they didn't bother with sand or salt though they used cinders which just give you more traction and I loved it. Instead of rust you just have a very dirty car which you get with salt anyway...

Old 08-25-2006, 12:56 PM
M Shark
Professional

You from AZ? I used to live up in Tuba City as a kid. I took piano lessons in Flagstaff every Saturday.

Old 08-25-2006, 02:19 PM
Mean Green
Champion

Beautiful country up there I'd love to go back there just isn't any money to be made up there. I think I've been to Tuba City but I blinked so I don't know.

Old 08-26-2006, 02:42 PM
M Shark
Professional

I mostly remember how dusty the city with all the sand dunes and all, but I had tons of fun camping, going to the shooting range, and boating/fishing at Lake Powell. I was 8 when I owned my first .22 rifle. I'd love to go back to visit the city just to open up some childhood memories. But I sure as hell wouldn't want to live there.

Old 08-26-2006, 06:38 PM
Mean Green
Champion

Yep that's for sure, where do you live now?

Quick Reply: Rust problems underneath..