1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

help!!!! more problems and i just got it last week

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2006, 08:47 PM
ONEENVY
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help!!!! more problems and i just got it last week

so i just bought an 01 couple days ago. Found i need the ball joints done, doin that on monday. Anyways i get a little car vibration when i'm on the freeway doing over 60mph. is this cause i have 33in tires and a body lift (i think its a body lift cause i dont see after market suspension) its a small one though 2-3inches maybe. could that be the reason im getting the vibration? i thought it was the tires when i bought it, but the dealership put on some new wildcat a/t 33inchers for me. the ride is smoother at low speeds now, not at high though. could it be the ball joints? do lifted rigs run smooth or will most of them get little shaking? also when i got the car back from les schwab they told me a need a new front right stud. could this be the problem? any help for a proud new D owner.

-Viet

Old 08-27-2006, 12:30 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default RE: help!!!!

I don't think it is your lift. Maybe the tires are out of balance. Also it could be because of the ball joints. Have them takin care of first, then have the tires balanced. Also it could be a U-Joint.

Old 08-27-2006, 04:25 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Also another thing to check, as you D is a 2001 and I assume it is a 4WD based on your 33 inch A/T tires, this D may qualify for the ball joint recall so it won't cost ya a penny. Just have the dealer run a VIN to check if the ball joint recall was performed on this D?

Old 08-27-2006, 05:25 PM
Digitoxin
Professional

I read you got new tires. Even a new tire can be out of round, and balancing them will not get rid of all the vibration it can cause. I would have them rebalanced and have them watch the tires close for out of roundness.
You could check yourself. Put the back axle on stands and run 2wd and have someone check while you run it.. Put stands all the way around and check all four.
I have had new tires put on my buick, and my Durango, and I have access to a nice tire balancer, and they were around .5oz or more every time. I would rebalance them correct myself, and never have to mess with them again. I think the tire shop balancers get used and abused alot, and they do not take the time to caliberate them often enough.

Old 08-28-2006, 02:24 PM
ONEENVY

so I dropped off the D this morning at the dodge dealership to have the ball joints done. Hopefully this will help. Thanks for all the responses. If it still vibrates you guys will see me posting back here tomorrow.

Old 08-29-2006, 02:53 PM
ONEENVY

so i got the D back from dodge yesturday and it runs a lot smoother now at high speeds. I still feel everything on the road though. is this normal for a D or is it because of the body lift?

Anyways when i got it home and parked it i noticed liquid dripping from the radiatior area. It wasn't a little drip either more of a trickle. The liquid is greenish. Looks like anti-freeze/coolant. Could i have a bad radiatior or just a loose hose? And could this be something i look at myself or would i need to take it in somewhere?

Thanks Guys

Old 08-29-2006, 05:14 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Welp, as we are not Psychic, you will have to go underneath your D and try to trace that leak to its source. It may be the radiator or a lose hose as you mentioned. Let's hope it is a lose hose.

Old 08-29-2006, 06:27 PM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Where did you get this D from? They need to take care of this for you. I'm sorry to hear you're having problems but if it is a dealership in most states they have to give you a little bit of a warranty even if it's only a month. I would have them take care of the fluids at a mechanic of your choosing and get that radiator checked out.

Old 08-29-2006, 06:46 PM
ONEENVY
Default RE: help!!!! more problems and i just got it last week

So i'm gonna call the dealership i got it from and give them an earfull. I think i have a windshield leak also cause i can hear hissing when i'm on the highway. i'm hoping its just a lose hose. this is the last time i buy a car without having a mechanic look at it first.

Old 08-30-2006, 08:24 PM
ONEENVY
Default RE: help!!!! more problems and i just got it last week

So I took a good look at the leak and it looks like it is leaking from the radiator hose. Looks like the hose wasn't fitted all the way and the clamp is loose. I went out and bought a new clamp (one that screws with a flathead screw driver and not like the one on there now that just pinches open). Couldnt put it on last nights as the car was still hot. Lets hope this works...

Quick Reply: help!!!! more problems and i just got it last week