1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

RAIN!

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2006, 05:11 PM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RAIN!

What's up guys it decided to start raining on me while I was starting to rotate my tires and get the front and rear diff fluid changed so I thought I'd hop on here. My manual says to use a mineral spirit to clean any oil off of the diff covers to provide a good seal I was wondering if WD-40 would do the trick? TIA and I just looked outside it stopped raining so back to work I go!

Old 09-24-2006, 06:36 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default RE: RAIN!

NO!!!!

Try some brake cleaner. That is the best because when it drys it leaves nothing behind. Stock up on some because you can use it for allot of different things. Even carb cleaners leave crap behind so not a good idea.

Old 09-25-2006, 04:01 AM
Mean Green
Champion

Alright I Popped the cover earlier today and drained it but did not refill yet (my baby started having an asthma attack so I had to go to the ER now he's been admitted so mom is spending the night with him). I did clean it with wd40 and wiped it down good but I guess that's no good huh? I guess I'll go pick up some brake cleaner tomorrow morning and clean it up again (I only did the cover 100% I used a rag on the pumpkin). I had a lot of black sludge and a little bit of brown sludge in the rear. I'm guessing the black is metal shavings and the brown is dirt? It definitely didn't look healthy but I guess I'll get to that bridge when I cross it and upgrade to some 4.10's...

Old 09-26-2006, 12:57 AM
Mean Green
Champion

I got it all straightened out and cleaned up te right way. The brake cleaner really did a number on that cover. I also went as far as wiping out the pumpkin with some paper towels to get rid of the sludge in there and sealed it all back up. It's looking good now I let it set for most of the day and just added some fluid to it about an hour ago but I'm gonna let it sit overnight before driving to let the silicone set in real good. Anyway one down and one to go but I understand it is a real PITA to change the front diff fluid huh? I might break down and take it to my mechanic because I don't have much time before I go and I want the front and rear on the same schedule...

Old 09-26-2006, 03:43 AM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mean Green, how is the baby?

IndyD

Old 09-26-2006, 10:12 AM
JasonGS
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: IndyDurango

Mean Green, how is the baby?

IndyD
x 2!

A couple things... WD-40 is more of a lubricant than a solvent, so while it may help to clean off some of the dirt/grime, it will leave behind an oily film. That's why if you want to actually clean it, go with some brake cleaner.

For the front diff, it will definitely take you longer. You have barely any room to work in there. It is hard enough just getting the cover off. Once you remove all the bolts, you either have to remove the vent tube from the cover or disconnect the clip in the engine bay. I found the latter to be much easier, as it is very hard to get your hand in there to pull it off the diff cover. Once the tube is disconnected, you have to rotate the cover almost 180° to clear the lower a-arm bolt to pull it out.

The next hard part is scraping off all the old RTV, again, since you have VERY little room to work in there. It's not overly difficult, just very tedious.

Finally, after it is bolted up (again, have fun getting the cover back on without smudging the RTV everywhere), you will most likely need a fluid pump to get the gear lube into the diff. You can get some by squeezing the bottle, but most of it won't come out (the angle isn't good enough). Although I believe if you're patient enough, you may be able to make it work.

GL with the 2 babies!

Old 09-26-2006, 02:59 PM
Mean Green
Champion

Well she's back on the road and I've run a few errands this morning and am just keeping an eye on the pumpkin and the ground for any leaks and all is well. I knew it was a tight squeeze for the front I think I'll take it to my mech. They should give me a good deal. I used mobil 1 synth 75-90 and have been informed I don't need a friction modifier on another forum where everyone is using it. pretty expensive stuff at like 9 bux a quart but I guess it's not too bad since it only needs to be done every 30k miles.

Old 09-26-2006, 04:27 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Dude!

Don't lesson to them. YOU HAVE A LIMITED SLIP REAR END!

They might have anti-slip properties inside, but are you going to take the chance? NOT ME!

If you put it in, which is good, put in the anti-slip additive anyway. Make sure you are alright!

Old 09-26-2006, 07:45 PM
JasonGS
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: hydrashocker

Dude!

Don't lesson to them. YOU HAVE A LIMITED SLIP REAR END!

They might have anti-slip properties inside, but are you going to take the chance? NOT ME!

If you put it in, which is good, put in the anti-slip additive anyway. Make sure you are alright!
Agreed. From Mobil's web site:

"Mobil 1 Synthetic Gear Lube LS 75W-90 contains special friction modifiers designed for limited slip-type differentials. In most applications, the addition of special LS (limited slip) additives is not required. For axles requiring the highest level of limited-slip performance, OEM specific LS additives can be added to this fluid."

In other words, I would add it.

Old 09-26-2006, 08:29 PM
Mean Green
Champion

Hmmmm. I guess I will add it then since it definitely isn't worth blowing up my rear end over an $8 bottle of friction modifier...

Quick Reply: RAIN!