1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Problem with my tranny

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2006, 04:01 PM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Problem with my tranny

Hey guys I'm back online now that I've made it to NV and settled in somewhat minus my D. While I was going through IA the OD solenoid (P1740) dumped out on me and right after that OD dropped out. I tried to limp it for a little while until I could find an AAMCO since the tranny is under warranty with them and I blew the main seal on the tranny so I stopped for the night and found an AAMCO and had the D towed there on Sunday morning they had it "fixed" on Tuesday so I got going again and the damned thing did the same thing 80 miles later. I had to backtrack 25 miles to IA city or go for another 90 miles and I didn't trust it for that far. The tranny overheated on me so I was on the side of the freeway for an hour to let it cool and went to the AAMCO. The owner couldn't work on it for a few days and he said it could take a while when he got into it because of all the problems basically. He said that on all Chrysler trannys he replaces the radaitor and nowone ever did that or suggested that on my D. He fixed the OD and OD solenoid while I am here in NV and got it to act up again on a drive from his house then back. He said he put a thermometer in the tranny and it was heating up with the engine (which doesn't makes much sense to me why it would heat up that much without driving). So here's the question since I don't have a tranny cooler on my D what's the point of replacing my radiator? He said I do have cooling lines in my tranny from the radiator. If this is the case would a tranny cooler be a better option since it's gonna be cheaper? He won't guarantee his work without the radaitor and when it goes again I'd be up **** creek basically since I only made it 1/3 of the way to my destination. Much help is appreciated guys. Oh and Reno is great.

Old 10-28-2006, 09:49 PM
jonnymagnum
Grand Champion
Default RE: Problem with my tranny

sorry to hear about the tranny problems. looks like it's time to put a 5 speed in there.
________
HERBAL VAPORIZER

Last edited by jonnymagnum; 05-08-2011 at 03:32 AM.
Old 10-29-2006, 01:11 AM
Mean Green
Champion

The auto is still under warranty or I would. I'm sure in a few more thousand miles I will be doing the swap at this rate...

Old 10-29-2006, 01:15 AM
johnjokela
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey mean welcome to reno, ive been living here for about 5+ yrs , so what brought you here?

Old 10-29-2006, 03:51 AM
Mean Green
Champion

We wanted to move back out west and my wife was able to get a transfer from her job to here so we came. It's a lot like Flagstaff, AZ just bigger which is nice. I can't wait to get my D here so I can check out some of these trails.

Old 10-29-2006, 05:05 AM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 227 Likes on 212 Posts

do the external cooler, get the biggest rated one you can and dump the radiator one. they suck. did this on my ram and never had an issue.

when you finally get some time... go and check out the blue lakes area south of tahoe, the drive up there is awesome and there are some really good trails back there to pound. they range from beginner to " you'll need a jeep to squeeze past those boulders". there are tons of trails up there! get it back before the snow comes!

Old 10-29-2006, 01:48 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

ORIGINAL: Mean Green

Hey guys I'm back online now that I've made it to NV and settled in somewhat minus my D. While I was going through IA the OD solenoid (P1740) dumped out on me and right after that OD dropped out. I tried to limp it for a little while until I could find an AAMCO since the tranny is under warranty with them and I blew the main seal on the tranny so I stopped for the night and found an AAMCO and had the D towed there on Sunday morning they had it "fixed" on Tuesday so I got going again and the damned thing did the same thing 80 miles later. I had to backtrack 25 miles to IA city or go for another 90 miles and I didn't trust it for that far. The tranny overheated on me so I was on the side of the freeway for an hour to let it cool and went to the AAMCO. The owner couldn't work on it for a few days and he said it could take a while when he got into it because of all the problems basically. He said that on all Chrysler trannys he replaces the radaitor and nowone ever did that or suggested that on my D. He fixed the OD and OD solenoid while I am here in NV and got it to act up again on a drive from his house then back. He said he put a thermometer in the tranny and it was heating up with the engine (which doesn't makes much sense to me why it would heat up that much without driving). So here's the question since I don't have a tranny cooler on my D what's the point of replacing my radiator? He said I do have cooling lines in my tranny from the radiator. If this is the case would a tranny cooler be a better option since it's gonna be cheaper? He won't guarantee his work without the radaitor and when it goes again I'd be up **** creek basically since I only made it 1/3 of the way to my destination. Much help is appreciated guys. Oh and Reno is great.
Here is your fix.

The problem is that the trany's in these things have a problem with medal fragments. These get all over then break loose and get wedged into internal parts hanging them up. The reason they want you to replace the radiator is to help get rid of the fragments. This will help but it is not all of your fix. The best way to deal with your problem is to do a big flush of the entire system including the trans all coolers and everything associated with the damn thing. Back and forward flush if you can. You might have a problem with the torque converter going out and making the medal fragments. I DID! Sounds like they need to replace your trans and make SURE they replace your torque converter with an oversized one. I'm VERY sure this is your problem.

Now there is a trans cooler inside the radiator. As the motor warms up it warms up your trans because of the warm fluid inside your radiator. This is good. BUT, if you over heat it can cause problems with the trans. To go directly to a only trans cooler and bypass the radiator isn't all good because the trans will take longer to warm and may cause problems. I run first through the radiator, then two trans coolers before the fluid makes it's way back into the trans. IT KICKS BUTT!

Now were you towing when you over heated the trans in overdrive?

Old 10-29-2006, 06:44 PM
Mean Green
Champion

Good stuff guys. Well they are doing a complete rebuild on the tranny on Monday and the owner of the AAMCO always flushes the cooling system for a day in Chryslers. I guess he isn't feeding me BS and he was saying things about the metal fragments. So I basically need him to replace the radiator then and see if he can reverse flush the cooling system when he pulls the old radiator. I hope that they will cover a larger torque converter under my warranty with them seeing as how this tranny has been nothing but trouble since I had them rebuild it... Oh and I wasn't towing anything and the tranny overheated after I turned OD off. I loaded the truck up and had 3 suitcases and my sons power wheel on the roof . I'd say I maybe had 1000 lbs. cargo in/on the D (and that seems pretty high) so with passenger weight and cargo I was about 1350-1400 lbs.

I really wish this would have surfaced when I was in NY I could've taken care of the radiator mysself and saved a couple bucks but I guess as long as this fixes it I'll be happy and they better give me a new warranty because I only have 2000 miles left on it and I have 1700 more miles to drive...

Old 10-29-2006, 06:52 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 227 Likes on 212 Posts

ORIGINAL: Mean Green

...I loaded the truck up and had 3 suitcases and my sons power wheel on the roof . I'd say I maybe had 1000 lbs. cargo in/on the D (and that seems pretty high) so with passenger weight and cargo I was about 1350-1400 lbs.

I really wish this would have surfaced when I was in NY I could've taken care of the radiator mysself and saved a couple bucks but I guess as long as this fixes it I'll be happy and they better give me a new warranty because I only have 2000 miles left on it and I have 1700 more miles to drive...
there's your problem... the power wheel shouldnt have been on the roof <jk>

if he's going to replace the radiator... why not ask for a 3 core one. you may have to pay the difference but it'll be worth it in reno. and i'd still get an external and skip the internal one.

Old 10-30-2006, 01:05 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

No doubt. Do the 3 or 4 core while you are in there.

If you got to pay for the oversized torque converter then do it. The problem is that they 50% of the time don't replace the torque converter on a full rebuild. You can see if they did by going down there and seeing if it is painted. If soo it was replaced, if not it wont be. OEM are not painted and the shops usually don't put OEM back in for the $ and that the aftermarket ones are usually better anyway.

Quick Reply: Problem with my tranny