1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Profound leakage after transmission service -- Wrong fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2016, 04:01 PM
gstofer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Profound leakage after transmission service -- Wrong fluid?

'98 Durango, SLT, 5.2L 4x4 .

I took this vehicle in for a transmission service because I thought it would be a good idea to get the fluid and filter changed at 149k miles. It was bone dry and had no driving issues when I dropped it off, I know because I crawled under it to make sure.

Now, 2 weeks after the service there are two profound leaks. One on the front shaft seal, coming out of the weep hole and one on the rear shaft seal coming out of the weep hole between the transmission and the transfer case. A puddle the size of a dinner plate on the driveway over 2 days.

The shop calls it pure coincident, as they only changed fluid, but he was not going to tell me what fluid they filled the transmission with. Unfortunately the shop's ownership changed in the two weeks since I had the work done, and the new owner sent me packing with a $2000 estimate for replacing both seals.

Is it possible that the new (and improved) fluid caused the seals to leak, I can not believe that this is a coincidence, both seals starting to leak profusely shortly after the fluid was changed.

I'm considering of changing the fluid myself, if I knew what fluid would stop the leak -- or if seal swell additive could be used.

Any help is greatly appreciated -- G

Old 05-03-2016, 07:49 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

They probably hooked it up to one of those stupid flush machines, so who knows what it might have dislodged. ATF+4 only in these Chrysler transmissions.

Old 05-04-2016, 01:27 PM
gstofer

Thanks for your reply! Nice Blue color !!

The Owners Manual that came in the truck states ATF+3, or ATF+3 type 7176. The invoice from the transmission shop states they filled 6 qts of DextronIII/MERC, plus a High Friction Modifier additive. But of course that doesn't mean that's what they put in.

Multiple people opined that ATF+4 would be leaking from an older transmission because it's thinner. No clue if that is a fact or a tail, but something clearly has changed and having to do with the new fluid.

G

Old 05-04-2016, 07:03 PM
that_guy
Champion

ATF+4 supersedes ATF+3. If there's even a chance they put that dex/merc **** in there, you need to get it all out immediately or it will ruin stuff. And never go to that shop again.

Old 05-08-2016, 01:31 PM
adukart
Record Breaker
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by that_guy
ATF+4 supersedes ATF+3. If there's even a chance they put that dex/merc **** in there, you need to get it all out immediately or it will ruin stuff. And never go to that shop again.
+1, any respectable shop will at least put in what fluid the manufacturer calls for.

Old 05-10-2016, 11:07 AM
Old_School
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gstofer
'98 Durango, SLT, 5.2L 4x4 .

I took this vehicle in for a transmission service because I thought it would be a good idea to get the fluid and filter changed at 149k miles. It was bone dry and had no driving issues when I dropped it off, I know because I crawled under it to make sure.

Now, 2 weeks after the service there are two profound leaks. One on the front shaft seal, coming out of the weep hole and one on the rear shaft seal coming out of the weep hole between the transmission and the transfer case. A puddle the size of a dinner plate on the driveway over 2 days.

The shop calls it pure coincident, as they only changed fluid, but he was not going to tell me what fluid they filled the transmission with. Unfortunately the shop's ownership changed in the two weeks since I had the work done, and the new owner sent me packing with a $2000 estimate for replacing both seals.

Is it possible that the new (and improved) fluid caused the seals to leak, I can not believe that this is a coincidence, both seals starting to leak profusely shortly after the fluid was changed.

I'm considering of changing the fluid myself, if I knew what fluid would stop the leak -- or if seal swell additive could be used.

Any help is greatly appreciated -- G

If it where me I would take it to the dealership and have it fixed correctly. I would then send the bill by certified letter to the first shop requesting nicely for them to pay for there F-up. If they refuse then I would file paperwork and sue them small claims court for the cost. I'm not sure what state your in and what the laws are but, in most states the business is liable no matter who the owner is/was as long as it all happends within a certain time frame.. I.E. within 30-60-90 days. I have been there and done that in the past... and the B*stards paid and then some.

P.S word of the wise, before you do anything take pics, lots of pic... and keep a paper trail.

Last edited by Old_School; 05-10-2016 at 11:09 AM.
Old 05-13-2016, 04:34 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,179 Likes on 2,932 Posts

And keep the receipt.

It shows they put in the wrong stuff. Dodge says NOTHING BUT ATF +4. Reason being? The other stuff eats seals. Imagine that.

Old 05-14-2016, 10:41 PM
bjr1a
Professional

Are you sure its not overfilled.....? Front leaks is almost never the seal ( the seal that installs in the pump)......that seal is actually designed for dexron qualified fluids ,so no issue there, but if it is overfull,fluid could be forced out the breather that is actually inside the bellhousing just above the seal...Check fluid in neutral and let forum know..Now the question is it possible the wrong fluid simply ate your seals..while there are some fluid / seal compatibility issues out there and its important to use correct fluids its not realistic to believe dexron III ate two good seals in a two week period.....Either your seals were previously compromised for some reason or something other than dexron III was used...Just my opinion Goodluck !!

Old 05-14-2016, 10:43 PM
that_guy
Champion

Originally Posted by bjr1a
Are you sure its not overfilled.....? Front leaks is almost never the seal ( the seal that installs in the pump)......that seal is actually designed for dexron qualified fluids ,so no issue there, but if it is overfull,fluid could be forced out the breather that is actually inside the bellhousing just above the seal...Check fluid in neutral and let forum know..Now the question is it possible the wrong fluid simply ate your seals..while there are some fluid / seal compatibility issues out there and its important to use correct fluids its not realistic to believe dexron III ate two good seals in a two week period.....Either your seals were previously compromised for some reason or something other than dexron III was used...Just my opinion Goodluck !!
Are you high? You should NEVER put anything but ATF+4 in these transmissions.

Old 05-14-2016, 10:59 PM
bjr1a
Professional

Please read carefully, I did not say he had the correct fluid, but DEXRON will not eat up the front and rear seal in two weeks,

Quick Reply: Profound leakage after transmission service -- Wrong fluid?