1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Torsion Bar Lift

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2014, 07:06 AM
RDuck
Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Has it been said?
Just crank your stock key's to achieve the lift.
You dont want to spend money but you have keys that just might do the job. So why buy new for no reason.
My last two Dakotas I could crank the stock keys till the suspension topped out on the block.
Offset keys would do exactly the same thing. So besides spending money, what's the benefits?

He looked something up for you and you got pissy?
Really?
Vet fine. Thanks.
Injured? On duty? Where?
Sorry to hear. Your not the only one.

But dont be a bitch.

Old 06-20-2014, 08:02 AM
MoparMan1991
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ratelo
I am going to get a spacer and new torsion bar key. My question is even after all that could I still do a TS and shackle lift to get me 2 more inches? And if I do which lines am I going to have to change out, or lengthen?
Then you can waste your money. Being a disabled vet, you ought to know how to do more with less. All you need to do is crank your torsion bars 8 turns, and get either an add a leaf, or Beltech 6400 shackles for the rear. You'll probably need to replace the bolts within the rear shackle too. I recommend using grade 8 nuts/bolts/washers with some red loctite, or if you can find the nylon locknuts, you can use those too. You'll need a four wheel alignment, make sure you tell whoever is doing it not to mess with the ride height. That is all you need to do. And for the record, the "I'm a disabled veteran and I ....... " thing makes you and I, along with our fellow brothers and sisters look bad. Not sure how long you've been saying that to people to make them feel bad or to give yourself a one up, but I'd be getting off that boat. That's not a very effective way to communicate with people, especially when they're trying to help you out.

Old 11-10-2017, 06:18 AM
hotrodd
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just curious if anyone has changed the keys to get a little more lift then 2 inches and how hard it is. Benn thinking about going up 3 inches if not to hard.

Old 11-10-2017, 09:08 AM
Pspklutch
Veteran

Originally Posted by hotrodd
Just curious if anyone has changed the keys to get a little more lift then 2 inches and how hard it is. Benn thinking about going up 3 inches if not to hard.
I’m not sure if it’s possible or not. But I’ve heard the ride quality can be diminished severely if you go too high with the torsion bars. I imagine you don’t want to be riding on the droop stops the entire time you drive

Old 11-11-2017, 06:28 AM
hotrodd

Originally Posted by Pspklutch
I €™m not sure if it €™s possible or not. But I €™ve heard the ride quality can be diminished severely if you go too high with the torsion bars. I imagine you don €™t want to be riding on the droop stops the entire time you drive
yeah don't want that. I think I'm going to just go up the 2 inches and do the 3 inch body lift. I did a 2 inch body and 2 inch torsion on my Dakota and run 33 12.50 15 on it they rub if u turn all the way but i trail ride and bogg it n haven't had any problems been running 33s for 5 years on it.

Old 11-11-2017, 07:47 AM
Pspklutch
Veteran

Originally Posted by hotrodd
yeah don't want that. I think I'm going to just go up the 2 inches and do the 3 inch body lift. I did a 2 inch body and 2 inch torsion on my Dakota and run 33 12.50 15 on it they rub if u turn all the way but i trail ride and bogg it n haven't had any problems been running 33s for 5 years on it.
That’s gonna be your best bet if you want that much lift. I run 32/11.50/15s with just the T/S lift on factory alloys and they barely rub at full lock in reverse only.

Old 08-16-2018, 10:56 PM
kcoc3
Default Center to center measurement and referense for torsion bars

Looking at doing a T/s on my 98 Durango and wanted to verify shackle length. Guy on CL has a pair that measure 7 3/8" bolt to bolt. My current shackles measure 3 1/2", so would lift just short of 4" at shackle. Does that match the referenced ones?

Also want to know how much lift I have now on the front. When I had engine replaced coyple of years ago, am not sure exactly how many cranks they did. ..
thanks for the assistance.

Old 08-17-2018, 08:04 AM
JeeperDon
All Star
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Shackle lifts are hugely bad mouthed in the Jeep world, for good reason. You would be much better off swapping out the springs, which isn't rocket surgery either.

Old 08-17-2018, 12:11 PM
lvphotos
Veteran

Originally Posted by kcoc3
Looking at doing a T/s on my 98 Durango and wanted to verify shackle length. Guy on CL has a pair that measure 7 3/8" bolt to bolt. My current shackles measure 3 1/2", so would lift just short of 4" at shackle. Does that match the referenced ones?

Also want to know how much lift I have now on the front. When I had engine replaced coyple of years ago, am not sure exactly how many cranks they did. ..
thanks for the assistance.
If your axle is not flipped from stock bottom to top (5.5" lift) then the shackles will lower not lift. Adding leafs, block and shackles is not adding height but lowering.

Old 08-17-2018, 12:47 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by lvphotos
If your axle is not flipped from stock bottom to top (5.5" lift) then the shackles will lower not lift. Adding leafs, block and shackles is not adding height but lowering.
That's not true. Only blocks will lower. Leafs and shackles will still raise because they're either arcing the spring downward more or moving an end of it downward more.

Quick Reply: Torsion Bar Lift