1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

95 Neon dirt track racer, tips?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2007, 11:44 PM
aeternavi
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 Neon dirt track racer, tips?

My father and I race at a local dirt track. For the last year, he has been racing a 95 SOHC auto. We are looking for some tips that could make the Hondas drivers wish they went with domestic. He is right now (when he finishes) about a 10th place car. I have a 93 Cavalier and usually finish top 5 or close to it.

Here are the rules that pertain to performance, everything else is a go... [ol][*]Stock carburetor / fuel injection system for that make and model. No Turbo Chargers.[*]Stock transmission for that make and model.[*]Battery must remain under hood.[*]Stock unaltered rear end for that make and model.[*]Passenger tires only. Wheel and tires must be of like size. Stock wheels only with a maximum width of 5" inside bead to bead. Tire sizes: 13" tires may be no larger than 185-70-13. 14" tires may be no larger than 195-70-14.[*]Gas tank: if stock gas tank is ahead of rear axle it may remain in place. If stock gas tank is behind rear axle, it must be replaced with a fuel cell or boat tank (max. of 6.6 gallons). Fuel cell / boat tank must be covered, secured and located in trunk.[/ol]Thanks in advanced.

Old 06-18-2007, 12:07 AM
marsh712
Professional
Default RE: 95 Neon dirt tracer racer, tips?

im not sure if a cold-air intake would interfere with the stock carb/fi rule but for starters i would invest in the following, assuming you dont already have them installed:

- Cold-Air Intake (i made a how-to for an effective home-made one.)
- Larger Throttle body
- Header
- Straight-pipe it from the header back
- Mopar or R/T ECU
- Good suspension system (Koni, KYB, Eibach, etc.)

You could also remove the A/C system, gut the entire interior (rear seats, passenger seat, carpet, uneccessary panels) and whatnot for weight redux. Im sure there are things i have missed, and the guys here are really good about helping out. They'll pick up where i left off.

Hope this helps, and good luck man!

- Zach

Old 06-18-2007, 12:11 AM
aeternavi

The way that the car gets hit lately, I don't think that we would be looking into a CAI right now. I read somewhere that the 55mm TB would be good for it, but doesn't the auto already have that one? Header would work, I will look for a link if you don't know it off the top of your head. We got the straight pipe already. Again, ECU I will search unless you have a link. AC has been removed, and like I said, this is the second year for this car.. so it already has been gutted completely.

Old 06-18-2007, 12:26 AM
racerx55
Record Breaker

they need to lose the tire and wheel rule, good god, stock steel rims are 5.5, aluminums are 6
so a neon isnt legal...
header you will get busted for sure
our rules, you must have the stock airbox
you use a K&N filter? thats a big help, but you have to cut up the airbox to let more air in to begin with.
switch it to a 5 speed, theyll never know the difference. its still stock.
how big is the track?

Old 06-18-2007, 12:43 AM
brucewin
Rookie

Our track has a stock airbox in stock locationrule, but everybody makes a cold air chute that goes tothe box.
Have you changed camber?
I dont know to much about dirt but at our asphalt track ,tires are everything.

Old 06-18-2007, 12:47 AM
brucewin
Rookie

I also have a cavalier that I was going tostrip itand race it but it is totaly gutless and handles like crap.
My Neon would waste it. So I am a little suprised that you are beating your father.

Old 06-18-2007, 12:59 AM
aeternavi

No filter. The box was taken out and the tube with a screen is over it, that's it. My dad does want to run a stick, but finding a doner car is not worth the effort in his opinion. The track is 3/8 mile clay surface.

The wheels are so out of whack by the end of the race, changing camber and the like would not make a difference.

Old 06-18-2007, 01:00 AM
aeternavi

<double post>

Old 06-18-2007, 01:02 AM
aeternavi

ORIGINAL: brucewin

I also have a cavalier that I was going tostrip itand race it but it is totaly gutless and handles like crap.
My Neon would waste it. So I am a little suprised that you are beating your father.
The car handles like a champ to me. I got 3rd last night. The class typically has about 20-25 cars in the feature. It is a 1993 with the 2200 and a stick.

Old 06-18-2007, 01:14 AM
brucewin
Rookie

I just went out and looked at my cav it is also a 93 w/2.2 but a auto. Maybe there is hope after all
My dad passed away in Dec and left it to me (no title) it has just been sitting there taking up space.
I wonder how hard a atx to mtx for that car is.The one for the Neon was fairly easy. I am looking for a racer for my son

Quick Reply: 95 Neon dirt track racer, tips?