1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

power st.

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2007, 02:57 AM
winplet1971
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default power st.

how much horse power will i gain by removing p/s i have no a/c so that would just leave the alt

Old 06-24-2007, 03:16 AM
95neonriceeater
Record Breaker
Default RE: power st.

you wont really gain any

just free up the power that they are robbing from your engine

Old 06-24-2007, 06:36 PM
spudsterier
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

personally, its not enough for me to even consider removing it

Old 06-24-2007, 06:56 PM
NEONRT98
All Star

Not to mention to do it safely, you woudl need a manual gearbox for the steering

Old 06-25-2007, 12:17 AM
das2123
Legend

ORIGINAL: NEONRT98
Not to mention to do it safely, you woudl need a manual gearbox for the steering
You don't have to get a manual rack. It makes steering a bit easier though.

I have seen a 5 WHP difference on the dyon after removing the P/S system.

Old 06-25-2007, 02:04 AM
mathias

Removed mine, but have no dyno to be sure of actual gain. Most everyone I've talked with says removing p/s on almost any car will give a 5 hp gain. Your steering will feel a bit stiffer, but mine is intendedforoval track racing and you don't need a lot of steering when you drive in circles!
Plug the lines to your power rack though and try to keep a little fluid in them before you plug them. You still need lubrication to the rack or it will dry out over time.

Old 06-25-2007, 11:08 AM
das2123
Legend

ORIGINAL: mathias
You still need lubrication to the rack or it will dry out over time.
No you don't. The rack will be fine without lubrication. I know someone who removed the P/S system about 5-6 years ago and the rack is still doing fine.

The only place you might miss the P/S will be during parking...other than that, you will love it!

Old 06-25-2007, 01:55 PM
mathias

Winplet,
If you want to give it a feel, just remove the belt and you'll get the general idea. If you're street driving you'll "feel" the road more and at higher speeds you'll feel you have more control. Yeah, it's a little harder at parking lot speeds, but unless you've got arms the size of pixie sticks you should not have aproblem with it. Try it out and formulate your own opinion.

ORIGINAL: das2123

No you don't. The rack will be fine without lubrication. I know someone who removed the P/S system about 5-6 years ago and the rack is still doing fine.
I know someone who makes crack in his basement. He's been doing it for like 5 or 6 years and hasn't gotten caught, so he should be okay. Ummm....I'm thinking it's still a bad idea.

There aren'tmany moving parts on a vehicle that should not be lubricated in some manner. Not mention thatopen oily hoses will collect dirt and grit like nobody's business. Loop the hose ends back on each other or plug them off. Keep that system closed and clean. Why would you chance it, unless it wasn't your car?

Old 06-25-2007, 02:24 PM
das2123
Legend

ORIGINAL: mathias
If you want to give it a feel, just remove the belt and you'll get the general idea.
Removing just the belt is tougher to steer than removing the whole system.

And here is more info about "looping the lines"
ORIGINAL: Chris Barnett
The one rack I took apart showed that the PS fluid wasn't lubricating anything. Hence why I didn't loop my lines, I just removed them, along with the fluid. It's been at least 35k miles since I did that, no problems whatsoever. Most people loop it and keep as much fluid in it as possible, but I didn't, and I haven't had any problems. Even if it was to develop a problem later on, oh well. Racks are $10 at the junkyard, less than $100 new. For $10, this rack has lasted well over a year. I think I can spring $10 every few years if needed. It's easier with zero fluid, and road feel is better. Ask anyone who has driven the army neon.

I have nothing covering the holes. Dirt, mud, grease, whatever can get into them. Never once had a problem. As far as I can tell, the rack is basically converted to a manual rack without the fluid. The PS fluid didn't lubricate anything on the rack I dissassembled from my 96. I replaced it with a 97 rack purely so I wouldn't have rusty tie rods, since my 96 had quite a bit of rust.

Old 07-02-2007, 10:59 PM
winplet1971
Rookie

well i removed the p/s system das and i do love it feels better on the road and does feel like just a pich more free under the hood im going to keep it that way

Quick Reply: power st.