Amp mounting

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 10:59 AM
Dr_KY
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Amp mounting

Help guys please.

1.Where is the best place to mount an amp that will only be powering a sub in the trunk?

2.How about the best route for the wires?

3. Best placement for the sub?

4. The amp should never be mounted to the sub right?

5. Best place to ground other then the engine block?

I'm not doing anything special nor is it for show. I just happen to have an extra Kenwood KAC-744 and a 10 inch JBL GT4 series that I need to get out of the house. No, I wont be using Bass Mechanics - subwoofer excursion test on it. lolol

It's going in this 98 Neon with fold down rear seats.

This little guy..

Old 07-28-2007, 11:13 AM
spudsterier
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Amp mounting

i had 4-12's in my1st neonand with that bass mechanics cd, my rear door windows would actually push far enough away from the car when the bass would hit that if you were fast enough, you could easily reach inside and unlock the door

anyways,
if its a small amp then you can mount it on the bottom of the rear deck in the trunk between the rear speakers....that way it cant be seen.....
i wouldnt mount the amp to the box....after awhile the bass can actually rattle internal parts of the amp loose..
the sub will sound the best in a sealed box and positioned as close to the rear of the car in the trunk as possible....the closer the face of the sub is to a solid object, the more solid of a hit the bass will produce......basically, face the sub right at the trunk latch...

whatever you do, please do not run the power wire through the door sill.....its tacky and unsafe...
pop the hood and locate the the large wire cluster going from the pcm to the cabin of the car....if you follow the wires back to the firewall, they will go through a large rubber grommet....cut a slit in the lower corner of the grommet and run the power wire through there...then run the wire under the carpet by the door sill molding and then under the back seat....

Old 07-28-2007, 11:40 AM
Dr_KY
Professional

Any suggestions as to what connections go where and what the settings should be as it is only going to power the sub?

Old 07-28-2007, 11:42 AM
Dr_KY
Professional

What/ where am i going to be powring the sum from?

Old 07-28-2007, 12:08 PM
boxerjl2
Record Breaker

i mounted my amp on the back fold down seat so if i ever need to get to it i can just fold down the seat and with the settings i just turn the bass and gain all the way up
but your amp doesnt have either one of those so i dont know just mess around with it after youve got it hooked up turn your cd player half way up (like if it goes to 40then turn up to 20)and just mess around with thr settings untill you hear what you like.

for the sub locationi would either face it up or face it towards the back of the car (for the most bass purposes)

the GND needs to be as closethe the amp as possible

about the amp being by the submost people attach them to the top of the speaker box

i dont know how many watts the amp is pushing but i would hook the sub up to were the "Brigged" lines are pointing
im pretty sure your amp is pushing 250 watts?? becuz the amp has a 25 fuse

run the power wire as spud said your gonna need alot off it.. but for a low power system you dont need to get the exspensive wire...

the REM or remote hooks up to your cd players digital antenae wire

the RCA plugs go from your cd player to the amp i dont know if the stock cd player have the RCA

dont know if you know anything about hooking it up so i think i included everything

Old 07-28-2007, 01:10 PM
Dr_KY
Professional

Cool I have a few hundred meters of wire so not a problem. Where am I going to dray the pewer for the amp from?

Old 07-28-2007, 02:18 PM
das2123
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Dr_KY
Where am I going to dray the pewer for the amp from?
I'm not an audio expert....but the battery I would think.

Old 07-28-2007, 02:23 PM
Dr_KY
Professional

I was thinking drawing from there directly would work as long as there is a fuse instaled. I'm more concerned or interested in finding out what wire ( colour and where) I connect the switching wire to.Ya know so it only comes on with the stereo.

Old 07-28-2007, 02:56 PM
lateralus823
Veteran

Id mount the amp on the fold down seat.

Old 07-28-2007, 04:24 PM
boxerjl2
Record Breaker

DR
the turn on wire is the REM or remote

the REM or remote hooks up to your cd players digital antenae wire
usually blue

on your amp it could be REM, RMT, or REMOTE, and the positive should be BATT, +, the amp will not work without the Remote Wire Hooked Up and you will get no sound without the RCAS hooked up

install a fuse within 5 ft of the battery but i put mine (when i had one) right by the battery
went like this
battery
o------30amp fuse-----------

but if you dont put the fuse in it could cause damage to amp,, make sure you put it in!!!
when i got my neon all the wires were hooked up but there was no fuse and i hooked up my amp and it damage my amp and fried a channel.. and amps arnt cheep

Quick Reply: Amp mounting