Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New here just showing off my neon

i would like it for the looksbut i agree with you

Old 08-29-2007, 07:41 AM
tattoojack
Veteran

ok i have to put my 2 cents in. for every 4 pounds (on average, depending on the car) you gain 1 horsepower. thats a fact. seen it on a dyno so give that **** a rest. so if you have a daily driver and you shave off 100 pounds you WILL gain around 20-30 HP. now with a daily driver the extra HP is not going to translate into alot of pep BUT it will reduce the amount of weight the engine is pulling, which in turn will cause the engine to be able to attain the same speed in less time/power. that results in better gas mileage too. its a no brainer.
andas for the whole ricer debate. its not because your car is or is not made in the land of rice. it is by definition an insult to a modding community that only purchases mods that look good to them, but not to the general public. no matter how fuctional or not they are. that huge *** wing is only gonna add weight. plus any idiot knows that a wing that size is not effective in creating downforce until upwards of about 65mph. thats simple physics. after 65mph it is only pushing down on the rear of the car (in a rear wheel drive this helps with traction, in fwd this only puts extra strain and friction on the rear of the car actually creating more drag.) this does not help a fwd until speeds around 80mph while heavy cornering by pushing down on the rear to prevent the car from spinning out. come on guys i thought you all knew this already?

Old 08-29-2007, 07:48 AM
spudsterier
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: tattoojack

for every 4 pounds (on average, depending on the car) you gain 1 horsepower.
so if you have a daily driver and you shave off 100 pounds you WILL gain around 20-30 HP.
i would just LOVE to see that.......sounds like a hell of alot ofBS to me...
maybe im just being ignorant, but
there is no possible way that removing weight will GAIN hp.....especially 20-30hp by getting rid of 100lbs......and deffinately not in a neon[&:]
it may allow you to accelerate faster, or i can see if freeing up hp, but you cant gain hp from it.......

Old 08-29-2007, 08:02 AM
tattoojack
Veteran

well you obviously arent gonna gain hp in the engine. i guess the actual gain is in the torque due to the reduced weight bringing the power to weight ratio a little further. thats just physics man. if a 200 hp engine in a 2000 pound car is put in a 1000 pound car, the figures are going to be substantially different. and no, maybe not on a car strapped to a dyno so weight has nothing to do with the map but on the road you cant tell me there wouldnt be a difference. i mean the whole point of more HP is to make it go faster, right and you just agreed that you may have a faster 0-60. so wtf? shedding weight will result in a faster more efficient car. damn. this is really being debated this much? why do you think race cars have to meet such strict weight requirements? because if all the cars are running the same hp engine on the same weight car its a drivers race. but if one car is 5 pounds lighter than the rest of the field, he WILL have an advantage. speed, cornering, braking. all are improved by lighter weight. duh!

Old 08-29-2007, 08:26 AM
spudsterier
Legend

now your talking about a 1000lb difference......previously we were talking about just removing about 40-100lbs of weight....not 1000....

there is just no way that the car will gain 20-30hp.....maybe it can free up some, but not gain any.....

in the 1st post you said that you have seen on a dyno that every 4 pounds you remove will gain 1hp....that is what i would have to call b.s.......in the 2nd post you said that you wouldnt see a difference on the dyno..
your 1st post almost directly contrasts with the 2nd post......make up your mind[&o]

Old 08-29-2007, 08:33 AM
tattoojack
Veteran

"i've seen it" meant i have seen results from lightweightining. and again i say you cant take weight into account on a dyno because the car is being put under a controlled load, not based on the exact vehicle weight. but just like you know people that removed their entire interior you also know that their car is ALOT quiker after all that weight is out, soooooo you have to agree, if you wanna go faster, get rid of anything that isnt makin you go faster. thats been the rule since my old man was a kid and his before him. i am really shocked you are this stubborn about the FACT that HPxWEIGHT=X! if the weight goes down the power to weight ratio goes up which translates to faster response, which in the long run,equates to a faster car!

Old 08-29-2007, 08:45 AM
das2123
Legend

well you obviously arent gonna gain hp in the engine. i guess the actual gain is in the torque due to the reduced weight bringing the power to weight ratio a little further. thats just physics man.
If you learned that in Physics, then you're teacher needs to be fired!

HP is the result of a calculation from Torque. NO WAY do you gain more torque by making the car lighter.

Old 08-29-2007, 01:26 PM
spudsterier
Legend

for every 4 pounds (on average, depending on the car) you gain 1 horsepower. thats a fact. seen it on a dyno so give that **** a rest.
but doesnt this statement say that you have seen 1st hand that weight loss gains hp?????

Old 08-29-2007, 02:13 PM
tattoojack
Veteran

just like others here can agree, when a stock vehicle does a 1/4 mile pass, and then the same stock vehicle, minus 100 pounds of useless cosmetics, is gonna have a quiker pass. WTF! how can you all (rather you two people) be that stubborn. just because you believe it doesnt help doesnt mean thats fact. lighter=faster. damn!

Old 08-29-2007, 02:28 PM
das2123
Legend

^^^Kinda like the fact that you have seen personally on a dyno that lighter cars make more HP? 1 HP for every 4 pounds right? So if I take out my A/C system that weighs approximately 40 pounds, my car instantly jumps up 10 HP!!! WOOHOO!

We are saying that it really isn't worth it on a daily driver. And even then, noone has run 1/4 mile times before and after a mild weight redux to show the benefits.

Quick Reply: New here just showing off my neon