1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

An Englishman into Neon 1st gen

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 01:00 PM
Dagenhamgeoff
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default An Englishman into Neon 1st gen

Hey folks, not sure where this post will end up but hey ho, I`m Geoff from the good old U of K.....just got myself a Neon GLX 1998, deep amethyst......LOVELY, having a few troubles with it but getting there, slowly BUT with the help on here I KNOW I`m gonna get me a smooth ride.

Never had a car before so mechanically minded I`m not but you guys (and gals) make things sound preety easy.

The only trouble I`m getting with the car now is a code 11...crank sensor .took it out, cleaned it up, erased codes..clear (except code 12 naturally) had to get new coil and plugs and now she starts great but idles a bit rough and guess what!!! bloody code 11 back again and I`ve not even moved the girl..guess I`ll be looking at a new sensor, hard to get here in the UK except from dealers at DUMB prices, also gonna get me a new fuel pump cos I read on here somewhere that if the pump gets too hot it kinda shuts down the engine, guess thats why she stalled and died, let to cool overnight and she`ll start right up.

Anyways folks.thanks for taking the time in reading my ramblings........I`m looking forward to staying here for a LOOOOOOOONG time and enjoy my Purple Ronnie for ages

Geoff (England U.K) just over the pond!!!

Old 09-21-2007, 02:37 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 227 Likes on 212 Posts
Default RE: An Englishman into Neon 1st gen

welcome to DF... I'd swap the crank sensor 1st before doing the fuel pump. the sensor may be failing when hot.

Old 09-21-2007, 03:30 PM
Dagenhamgeoff

Cheers Steve, I did clean it up a bit last time but just couldn`t get the damn thuing out to check it completely, need small fingers me thinks, cheers though Steve I`ll try again over the weekend. Another question for ya if thats ok, I recently put in 5/30 oil synthetic, valves now sound a bit noisy unlike before, previous owner was using 10/40, would you recommend me going back to 10/40 and do oil change and flush?

Old 09-21-2007, 03:49 PM
dustyloins
R.I.P. Dusty (Retired Moderator
Hall of Fame Member

Welcome to Dodge Forum!! I'll move you over to the 1st Gen Neon Section for more responses

Dusty

Old 09-21-2007, 03:59 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 227 Likes on 212 Posts

ORIGINAL: Dagenhamgeoff

Cheers Steve, I did clean it up a bit last time but just couldn`t get the damn thuing out to check it completely, need small fingers me thinks, cheers though Steve I`ll try again over the weekend. Another question for ya if thats ok, I recently put in 5/30 oil synthetic, valves now sound a bit noisy unlike before, previous owner was using 10/40, would you recommend me going back to 10/40 and do oil change and flush?
your asking the wrong guy on that one... I'm a mobil 1 15w50 man myself... that is what i toss into all of the gas motors we have had and still have. living in Cali we dont get freezing weather so I can get away with the heavier oil.

Old 09-21-2007, 06:01 PM
neoncrazy101
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the oil is a normal thing. my Neon does it, almost every Neon does it actually. if it does it while running then it can just be the normal piston slap or if it just does it on startup then its just the oil making it way up to the valves. both of which are normal for a Neon.

Old 09-21-2007, 08:15 PM
Jr. Mechanic
Grand Champion

Welcome! I too have a deep amethyst neon, I think you and I are the only ones on this forum I would just replace the crank sensor, I just had one for sale but got rid of it for $45. Also, the cam sensor can throw a code 11, so I would suggest checking that. I do have a used cam sensor for sale though $15 bucks plus international shipping.

Old 09-22-2007, 01:36 AM
12 volt
Record Breaker

welcome to the forum! 5w30 is recommended by manufacture

for some reason i didnt think they sold neons in the UK

Old 09-22-2007, 02:26 AM
Dagenhamgeoff

Thhanks for all your replies people, gonna go check the cam sensor as well as crank sensor this morning, might go for the 10/40 oil as I never drive the baby when its cold, she don`t like it and I hate it, so garaged over winter and used the wifeys Nissan Note (cough).

The Neon didn`t make an impact over here and allegedly only old folk drive them.....at 40 I don`t consider myself old.....just too old for all the Ford Fiestas and the Corsas that everyone drives over here.
Thanks again for all your replies people, I`ll keep you updated.

Old 09-22-2007, 08:33 AM
bone33
Record Breaker

Howdy Geoff,

Every neon that i have owned has had a noisey engine. no worries mate, just put in the oil you like and the car will run fine. I use 10w30 summeror 5w30 in the winter.

Quick Reply: An Englishman into Neon 1st gen