1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

About how long does it take to change Auto trans?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 11:20 PM
Slashwannabe
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default About how long does it take to change Auto trans?

Ok I wasgoing to pick a pizza up from getting and my tranny wouldn't go into park and itslipped hard core in first gear take off and then slowly started to build up pressure where it came back in first gear and was normal, except when I engaged the kick down going up this small hill by my house it slipped dramaticly and reved up to 5500 Rpm in a half second and now it still refused to go into park, so now I have the ebrake engaged and its sitting parked. Nice!

Ok now to the fun part of the thread....which is...

Howmuch time would one expect it takesswapthe transmission on a Automatic equipedNeon?

Also will a Automatic trans from a 1995 work in my 98 as far as electronics go?

Old 09-28-2007, 12:42 AM
protivakid
Veteran
Default RE: About how long does it take to change Auto trans?

Considering going to a mtxl? now's a good time.

Old 09-28-2007, 12:55 AM
Slashwannabe

I was gonna keep this one an automatic so I can have better Turbo spool with the longer gears. I serious thought about a mtx swap but I'm using a turbo soon and Das said the auto is best for a Turbo set ups and I have an Automatic sittingat my brothers land.

Old 09-28-2007, 01:29 AM
mulletman11
All Star

hows the auto better for turbo, u can use it longer by not shifting into ur next gear w an mxt??

Old 09-28-2007, 01:49 AM
Slashwannabe

ORIGINAL: mulletman11

hows the auto better for turbo, u can use it longer by not shifting into ur next gear w an mxt??
supposedly more time to spool and soother shifts so you don't lose spool time.

I'm gonna keep this car an auto so I cango to Mc Donalds and use one had to eat with and drive at the same time,and forpeople who don't know how to drive mtx... (like my sister) can use it if they need to. I'm saving the MTX project for my 2 door Neon I hope to get soon.

When my tranny was having problems it started out great in first gear but it didnt want no part of Drive starting out and I think Drive uses the same first gear band so I'm kind of baffled as to why manually putting it in first would make a difference.

Maybe bands need to be adjusted?

Old 09-28-2007, 09:32 AM
spudsterier
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Slashwannabe

Ok I wasgoing to pick a pizza up from getting and my tranny wouldn't go into park and itslipped hard core in first gear take off and then slowly started to build up pressure where it came back in first gear and was normal, except when I engaged the kick down going up this small hill by my house it slipped dramaticly and reved up to 5500 Rpm in a half second and now it still refused to go into park, so now I have the ebrake engaged and its sitting parked. Nice!
huh.....thats really odd that it happened to you.....if i recall correctly, a while back alot of people told you it was only a matter of time......too many neutral drops.......no offense, but.........[sm=icon_rofl.gif]

Old 09-28-2007, 10:05 AM
Slashwannabe

I actually stopped doing those 3 months ago and I only did 3 of them (guess thats all it took?) : ) I was ill advised back then, another guy who owned a Neon that I was trading parts with said the Tranny in the Neon could take it. But of courseI was a fool and listened,but while it worked it worked great! I gained some respect on my car as the only SOHC AutomaticNeon anyonein my area has ever seen lay black marks and nowthat that is out of the way when I get my new trans put in I wont have anything to prove!. Now that my turbo mods are coming along nicely and my tranny will be fixed I'll have a nice set up in within the week with power I can be really proud of.

I still have no regrets it was fun beating the car and this way I'll finally have an excuse where I'llbe able to get all my prothane mount inserts in!

Also...Remember that shaking I told everybody about? The transmission mount rubberwas very sloppy and that is the reason. The tranny was up in the air with its low end lag anyway, I drove another SOHC Neon that really took off the line quick and it was nothing comapred to mine so I'd assume my tranny was ****.

Old 09-28-2007, 05:30 PM
spudsterier
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

neutral drops can hurt any trans.....no matter how built it is......
the neons autotrannys are very durable.....but not for neutral drops......doing them at about 2-3k is one thing but any higher and the life expectancy of the tranny will drop dramatically.......

to replace it, it should only take a few hours....if you know what your doing......
best way to get it out of there is from under the car

Old 09-28-2007, 09:06 PM
Slashwannabe

When I did my nuetral drops I threw it into first gear at 5500 Rpm. The tranny was making a grinding noiseprior to that and I was always going to replace anyways soI didn't really care how much I beat itat the time.

Thanks for the info Spud : )

I take it the tranny swap will be more straight forward than the Water Pump change ....lol

Old 09-28-2007, 11:00 PM
HabitatHxC
Captain

Took my car 3 drops to get a bad tranny. $1200 in rebuild the first time for neutral drops, $1200 the second time for differential pin breaking off, from one wheel peels. Get an LSD before you boost that thing if you want to keep it. When i had it rebuilt the second time i had them do the valve body recalibration, it really helped the shifting. Get a higher stall, and you will be golden

Quick Reply: About how long does it take to change Auto trans?