1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

trunk hard to pop.

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2007, 09:39 PM
justinsanders
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trunk hard to pop.

what do i have to do to get the truck to pop easier. sometimes i have to have someone pull up on the spoiler while i pop it to get it to open. other times i have to use the key to pop it. but it does work sometimes if i really pull the trunk popper hard and fast several times. what kind of adjustments should i make.

while were on the trunksubject what have you all done to get rid of the rattle caused by subwoofers? i know its not the license plate but it sounds really bad from the outside of the car. what should i do?

Old 10-20-2007, 11:03 PM
spudsterier
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: trunk hard to pop.

the most common place for the trunk to rattle is at the latch...and sumthing you can do to make the trunk pop easier is to raise the trunk latch, though this will also make the rattle louder

Old 10-21-2007, 12:59 AM
l33tn3wb3r
Rookie

I have the same problem with my trunk. What I did to fix it, was take off the cover of the trunk latch. It's just one metal line that goes from the latch, to the trunk. There's two screws that hold the rest of it in place. Unscrew them both and try to move the WHOLE latch piece towards the front of your car if you can, that causes the latch wire to tighten up. That's the reason why your trunk doesn't pop open is because that wire is most likely stretched a little. If you can get it tighter, it'll pop better. And to answer your question about the trunk rattle, there's two things you can do. 1. Use black tape, just a small amount like 2 inches, and wrap it around the metal clip your trunk latches to. When you latch your trunk, itll sit tighter to the metal ring it latches to, and causes the trunk to rattle much less. 2. Buy some Dynamat and spray it all over the panels of your trunk. They use Dynamat on truck beds to make them tougher, and it sort of sound proofs your trunk.

Old 10-21-2007, 01:08 AM
12 volt
Record Breaker

Black tape???

Old 10-21-2007, 12:19 PM
boxerjl2
Record Breaker

my trunk is dynomatted and it still rattles like a biatch
i wouldnt waste your money on it.. but it might rattle less.. idk ive never heard it without the Dynomat but my trunk does rattle alot so im gonna try the black tape thing even thought it sounds retarted but if it works it works

Old 01-26-2009, 05:04 PM
Nates_expresso
Professional

Open the trunk. on both sides there's a black rubber/plastic screw adjuster thing (about an inch diamiter)

Turn them both CCW about 1.5 turns, and it will make your trunk pop up when you unlatch it. If it's too hard to shut, turn it the other way half a turn or so.

~Nate

Old 01-26-2009, 06:03 PM
streetracer88
All Star

your trunk cable could be stretched out to much so its harder to open thats what happened to mine and i just replaced it and it worked 100% afterwards and idk much bout the other half as i havent had that problem

Old 01-26-2009, 07:06 PM
justinsanders
Captain

wow i posted that back when i had my last neon. but now this neon didn't come with a truck pop i always have to use the key. and the rear seats dont fold down in this neon

Old 01-26-2009, 09:27 PM
streetracer88
All Star

wow lol..i didnt even look at the date lol...but that sucks that you cant fold down your seats or pop your trunk what kind of neon do you have a r/t maybe?

Old 01-27-2009, 03:14 PM
justinsanders
Captain

i wish i hada r/t. i'd have a rear swaybar and rear disk breaks but its just the "sport" model. nothin really sporty about it except its a 2 door 5 speed and now its a dohc. this neon doesn't have carpet on the door panels like my other one either.

Quick Reply: trunk hard to pop.