1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Question about tranny fluid

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 09:33 AM
das2123
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Question about tranny fluid

^^^ You know I just noticed that you call it ATF-4, when in fact it's ATF+4.

I can't explain why it has worked for you, but it's much cheaper to drain and refill with ATF+4 than to have the tranny rebuilt because Dexron/Mercon can damage the tranny. Would you like the guy to continue running it because you said it was OK, and then he develops a shifting problem that is related to the fluid that YOU said was OK? If you are going to say thatm then I would suggest you pay for the expense of having the tranny rebuilt if that was to happen.

Old 11-07-2007, 12:11 PM
Slashwannabe
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Question about tranny fluid

ORIGINAL: das2123

^^^ You know I just noticed that you call it ATF-4, when in fact it's ATF+4.

I can't explain why it has worked for you, but it's much cheaper to drain and refill with ATF+4 than to have the tranny rebuilt because Dexron/Mercon can damage the tranny. Would you like the guy to continue running it because you said it was OK, and then he develops a shifting problem that is related to the fluid that YOU said was OK? If you are going to say thatm then I would suggest you pay for the expense of having the tranny rebuilt if that was to happen.
Did you see the part where I said I RECOMEND ATF+4and Dexron could be the last straw to break the camels back? and that just because it has worked for me doesn't mean it will work for him? I'd rather he use the correct fluid as I am using the correct fluid in my car right now ATF+4(7176).

The only thing I was questioning was the claims that Dexron "instantly" burnt the transmission out, if mixed with ATF+4 I'd say you'd be ok, but pure Dexron could be a problem.

I just thought of this, maybe I was lucky since Iwould only add Dexron when I was low on fluid every 6 months and maybe that is why Dexron worked so well, I have not used Dexron 3 in any of my Mopars since I found out the difference a few months ago but I do not beleive there to be an imediate risk of tranny death while using Dexron 3 unless you would fill a new Transmission with pure Dexron. I'm guessing maybe the old ATF+4 mixed with Dexron could be why I never had slippage or hard shifts.

I kinda stuck my foot in my mouth, but I would be hard pressed to say mixing 1 or 2 quartsisn't as leathal as filling it all with fullDexron 3. I've actually rarely had to fill transmission in any of my vehicles except my Neon when my motor mounts were bad and the transmission pan hit the frame from the engine rocking when I first got the Neon and I pounded the pan straight and permatexed the bent area while still on the tranny and without taking the pan offand ran 6 more months without a leak or shift problem but keep in mind I used only 3 quarts of Dexron out of the 5 quarts of ATF+4 still in the tranny.

I'm sorry if I gave the wrong impression and I'm sorry to Das because he's not a bad guy, I had to think back myself and wonder why I had great success with Dexron in my mopars and I came to the conclusion that adding 2 quarts of Dexron to the existing ATF+4 was probably why.

Old 01-03-2008, 01:49 PM
John in MN
Default ATF+4 tranny fluid CONFLICT ATF+3

I read the discussion and want to bring out my CONFUSED INFO. ATF+3 vs ATF+4

USE OF WHAT IN A PRE-1999 MINIVAN. VERY CONFUSING SERVICE BULLETINS

USE of ATF+4 vs ATF+3

TSB:21-006-01 6/29/2001 IN LARGE LETTERS says" NOTE :THIS BULLETIN APPLIES TO ALL VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH CHRYSLER AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSIONS EXCEPT 1999 AND EARLIER MINIVANS." -- very SPECIFIC

-Three Years Later-

TSB 21-004-04, - 3/16/2004,WHICH SAID insmall letters= " NOTE: This bulletin applies to all transmissions manufactured by Chrysler except for 1999 and earlier minivans with the41TE/AE transmission" ------ well small letters --must be not as SPECIFIC huh!!!

But than on April 14, 2006 The TSB said to get rid of all the old TSB??? (WHY SUCH A BIG SWITCH IN POLICY ) "THIS BULLETIN SUPERSEDES TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN 21-004-04, DATED MARCH 16, 2004, WHICH SHOULD BE REMOVED FROM YOUR FILES. THIS IS A COMPLETE REVISION". -----NO MENTION OF "1999 AND EARLIER MINIVANS"

So who really knows what to use ???

John

Old 01-03-2008, 02:35 PM
tranyinstaller
Professional
Default RE: ATF+4 tranny fluid CONFLICT ATF+3

wow... you guy's. you all banter like children. das, slash. you two are like oil and water. you two should never be on the same discussions, ever.
however i will say this now and never check this bulliton again because i wont accept being banterd at.
atf, dexronIII with mercon will work fine in your 99 neon. period. no argument. i have worked at a tranny shop since i was 15 and know this from more experiance than any of you. not saying im better, just saying i wont accept debate on the issue. atf+4 is prefurable. service your transmissions every 20,000 miles unless you use amsoil. in which case every 60,000 miles. lube guard produces a friction modifier to convert +3 to +4 if you need to convert, but just did a service and dont want to have to change all the fluid. synthetics are prefurred and ALWAYS change your filter, pan gasket, clean and inspect the pan. torque pan bolts to 12ft lbs or 144in lbs, ( i dont care what the manuals say, that is what i recomend.)
i speak from hands on experiance, this is what i do for a living. and have done for the last 7 yrs.

Old 01-03-2008, 03:08 PM
12 volt
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: John in MN

I read the discussion and want to bring out my CONFUSED INFO. ATF+3 vs ATF+4

USE OF WHAT IN A PRE-1999 MINIVAN. VERY CONFUSING SERVICE BULLETINS

USE of ATF+4 vs ATf+3

But than on April 14, 2006 The TSB said to get rid of all the old TSB??? (WHY SUCH A BIG SWITCH IN POLICY ) "THIS BULLETIN SUPERSEDES TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN 21-004-04, DATED MARCH 16, 2004, WHICH SHOULD BE REMOVED FROM YOUR FILES. THIS IS A COMPLETE REVISION". -----NO MENTION OF "1999 AND EARLIER MINIVANS"
can you postthe rest of this TSB

Old 01-03-2008, 03:13 PM
Slashwannabe

ORIGINAL: tranyinstaller

wow... you guy's. you all banter like children. das, slash. you two are like oil and water. you two should never be on the same discussions, ever.
however i will say this now and never check this bulliton again because i wont accept being banterd at.
atf, dexronIII with mercon will work fine in your 99 neon. period. no argument. i have worked at a tranny shop since i was 15 and know this from more experiance than any of you. not saying im better, just saying i wont accept debate on the issue. atf+4 is prefurable. service your transmissions every 20,000 miles unless you use amsoil. in which case every 60,000 miles. lube guard produces a friction modifier to convert +3 to +4 if you need to convert, but just did a service and dont want to have to change all the fluid. synthetics are prefurred and ALWAYS change your filter, pan gasket, clean and inspect the pan. torque pan bolts to 12ft lbs or 144in lbs, ( i dont care what the manuals say, that is what i recomend.)
i speak from hands on experiance, this is what i do for a living. and have done for the last 7 yrs.
Me and Das cleared some **** up we're cool for over 2 months now well we always were cool.

Old 01-03-2008, 03:28 PM
das2123
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: tranyinstaller

wow... you guy's. you all banter like children. das, slash. you two are like oil and water.
I guess I am the oil since I have been in the oil industry for the past 11 years now .

Friction modifiers are different between the 2 fluids in question.

Quick Reply: Question about tranny fluid