1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

How do i know if my spark plug wire is burnt or in bad condition? need expertise advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 07:40 PM
95Highline
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do i know if my spark plug wire is burnt or in bad condition? need expertise advice

ok i just bought Spark Plug wires off ebay..The box they came in looked a little beat up.. i opened it up and the spark plug wires werent wrapped in a plastic bag or anything..i looked on the tip of one of the wires and it had some white stuff...they smell brand new, but i dont know..Does that white stuff indicate that they are burned??? Al

Look at the edge of the spark wire..that white stuff. Is that wire damaged?

Old 11-15-2007, 07:44 PM
95Highline
Professional
Default RE: How do i know if my spark plug wire is burnt or in bad condition? need expertise advice

Old 11-15-2007, 07:47 PM
95Highline
Professional
Default RE: How do i know if my spark plug wire is burnt or in bad condition? need expertise advice

Old 11-15-2007, 07:50 PM
95Highline
Professional

ok..so i posted these pics..Is the wire broken..or is it good?

Old 11-15-2007, 09:18 PM
95to96transplantneon
Record Breaker

it may just be some silicon lube does it come off or is it discolored???

Put a multi meter to it thats really the only way to tell.

Old 11-15-2007, 11:32 PM
95Highline
Professional

if i scratch it, it comes off..the wires smell like new, but they also have a couple of scracthces on them..it looks like they were plugged in before he sold them to me...

Old 11-15-2007, 11:42 PM
unclemike
Veteran

The joys of Ebay : ) The blue parts look clean, if the seller used them you would think that some of the valve cover grunge would have gotten on them.

Old 11-15-2007, 11:48 PM
95Highline
Professional

yea..well i just sent a comment to the seller..telling him to deduct 20$ or send me new wires..and that if he dosent reply to my messge..i will file a complaint to ebay and paypal.."New" my ***..anyway i payed roughly 60$ for these bad boys..has anyone noticed a difference in their after changing spark plugs and wires?

Old 11-15-2007, 11:55 PM
unclemike
Veteran

I don't know how good Paypal is since Ebay took it over but when I paid a seller and he stiffed me on the parts (never even sent them) they gave me a song and dance about how they couldn't do anything to get my money back fortunately I was able to turn it over to my credit card company and they reversed it. Most of the sellers on Ebay are decent so check the feed backs. Ones I stay away from are those that have outrageous shipping charges. They'll charge $25 or $30 when it only costs about $7 to ship. Even if they give you a refund they're still making money.

Old 11-16-2007, 12:02 AM
95Highline
Professional

yea i know...its ridiculous..but this guy has 99.7% feedback which means he might be decent enought to try to fix this issue instead of risk his reputation. BTW, do you know if spark plug wires need anything else to connect? (i.e. screws?) because he had advertised a bag of what looked to be like screws, but it never came with the package..just in case he never replies back and im stuck with these wires..will i need those screws?

Quick Reply: How do i know if my spark plug wire is burnt or in bad condition? need expertise advice