1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

HELP! Installing White gauges. I cant drive like this!

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 01:09 AM
95Highline
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! Installing White gauges. I cant drive like this!

today i was trying to instal some white face gauges. I took out the needles, plugged them backed in, etc. However, when i turned the car on, the gauges are not working anymore! My speedo stay at 0, the Heat gauge stays where it is and my gas doesnt change! Can someone please help me! when i turn off the car the gauges stay the same. How can i fix is this issue. i cant drive like this. Btw, i put the after market face gauge on top of the original face gauge because of those tiny point the needle sit on. this is what i bought. eBay Motors: i260 95-99 DODGE NEON WHITE FACE RACING GLOW GAUGES (item 3001707

Old 11-18-2007, 01:31 AM
protivakid
Veteran
Default RE: HELP! Installing White gauges. I cant drive like this!

Your problem could be simply that the needles are getting caught on the new white face due to clearance issues. Happened to me. I solved it by applying a little water soluble elmer's glue on the back of the white faces around the needles and held it down firmly a couple minutes while drying. The other problem could be that you took your needles off to install the white dash. I have heard from a couple people to not take the needles off or you can run into major problems. I installed mine by slipping it under the needles without removing them.

Old 11-18-2007, 02:08 AM
95to96transplantneon
Record Breaker

4 words....

Double side sticky tape.

Old 11-18-2007, 10:29 AM
spudsterier
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the problem with mine was the needles getting hung up.....the overlay needs to be completely flat without any ripples or anything.....also remember, you get what you paid for.....

Old 11-18-2007, 11:14 AM
95Highline
Professional

ok here is what i did. I put the new white face gauge on top of the old one because the new one Does Not have any have pictures for the signals (seatbelt, lef + right turn signals, etc)..i think i f**d up. so by putting the new on top, the signals would show. ahkkk.. i should have left it the way it was

Old 11-18-2007, 12:53 PM
99 Neon
Veteran

ORIGINAL: spudsterier

the problem with mine was the needles getting hung up.....the overlay needs to be completely flat without any ripples or anything.....also remember, you get what you paid for.....
I conviently bought gauges from the same guy on ebay. I havent installed mine yet as it was like last week and im never home much. Well needless to say i always check out the feedback and since the guy is a power seller he has loads of it. Well before i obught it i checked out peoples feedback that bought the same exact item that i had which was all neon owners. They all said (from what i saw) that the gauges worked great A+ trusted seller blah blah blah. So i dont have too many worries about them not working

Old 11-18-2007, 02:19 PM
protivakid
Veteran

chances are like I said its the needles getting caught which elmer's blue fixed. Double sided sticky tape would only add to the problem as it has that little bit of depth to it. And I left my old black face on, its just an overlay, you don't take the black face off.

Old 11-18-2007, 03:00 PM
95to96transplantneon
Record Breaker

Mine works just fine with double sidded sticky tape (dsst). I had the same problem. I took the needles off and the needle stops put dsstall over the original face carfully put the new white face on and then put the needle stops threw the new holes to lock them in and then put the needles back on.

Old 11-20-2007, 01:20 PM
tattoojack
Veteran

they all do that. they go over your stock guages so the lights will show thru where needed. thats the design. all you gotta do is stick it down flat, and be careful when tightening down the clear shield because this can cause it to ripple. also if they came with directions, you will notice it says not to remove the needles. they will slip over them with a lil effort and positioning.

Old 11-22-2007, 07:18 PM
99 Neon
Veteran

just installed mine today/night. hah well i didnt use double sided stickey tape or glue. Its called single sided sticky tape! heh. You just use the single sided to tape down the edges real flat and that i used the singled sided again right next to the gauge holes just very carefully just on the outside. The trick with taking the needles off is....start your car up without needles and than when its fully warmed up you put the needles in accordingly. Temp gauge at its regular warmed up temp. Gas gauge at the spot where your gas is (should mark it down be4 taking needles out/installing back in. Speedo at 0 and your idle at roughly 900 just below 1000 but thats just what i did and it worked for me

** Just a quick question** i havent done the wiring yet (as its dark out) so it glows blue or w/e it does. Do i just do some wiring splicing with the red wire to red wire and the black to black?

Quick Reply: HELP! Installing White gauges. I cant drive like this!