1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Raising comprestion with MLS head gasket...

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 11:19 PM
95to96transplantneon
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raising comprestion with MLS head gasket...

Hey does anyone know about taking the middle layer out of the mls head gasket like they do on the 2nd gens( i am fully aware that they are the same block however i dont know if it is just possable on the 02+ sohc or all our blocks...) Anyone know what ratio I would be around??? Is it a good idea or no???

Old 11-20-2007, 11:37 PM
Slashwannabe
Default RE: Raising comprestion with MLS head gasket...

Bad IdeaI say... Heres Why:

MLS Stands for Multi Layered Steel which is a 1998 Inovation which fixed the head gasket problem by making the gasket thicker. The reason why the old gaskets went so easilywas supposedly because the headbolts bottomed out on the tapped holes in the block and didn't seat properly so they fixed this with the MLS Head gasket and what the fix is, is the extra Layer of steel. In theory you could shave your head bolt tips and get away with the thinner gasket but I'm not sure if that will be the definite fix. I guess they figured head gaskets were cheaper to replacethan new shorterbolts.

Heres the Fix:

So if you want to be the guinea pig andremove that extra layer of steel you mine as well use the old 95-97 gaskets non MLS and just trim your head boltsa little bit on like a grinding wheelso they don't bottom out. I would trim the bolt abouta little more than thethicknessthat the MLS gasket adds.

PS: Try at your own RiskI take no responsibility for your actions

Old 11-21-2007, 04:16 PM
tattoojack
Veteran

i thought they failed because the old ones were not steel so they eventually succumbed to the pressure in the head and failed at the weakest seal point. i have noticed when you put a new "old" style and the new mls side by side the old one is actually thicker. it just compresses more and is a soft kinda cradboard plastic. not nearly as strong as metal.

Old 11-21-2007, 04:18 PM
95to96transplantneon
Record Breaker

thats what i thought to jack and i sware im not halusinating ill try to find where i saw it at...

Old 11-21-2007, 06:42 PM
tattoojack
Veteran

if this is true than taking anything out of the mls will not only damage it but will make it only a sliver thinner. not worth it IMHO

Old 11-21-2007, 07:17 PM
Slashwannabe

On the back right of the block on the tranny side, the bolts bottom out with certain batches of bolts (supposedly) But I guess a few people have had that problem and confirmed it. The MLS is better meterial for sure.

Look here:

http://www.allpar.com/mopar/2.html

It will run for a LONG time on just regular maintenance. My father has the same engine in his Avenger and it's about 200,000 miles now. This is on the original head gasket. After some long research, my father and I found out it's not so much a problem with the gasket, but a problem with the block on the 2.0L engine.. seems the head bolt on the back outside of cylinder #4 can bottom out on some blocks.. meaning it doesn't exert enough pressure on the headgasket to make a good seal.. grinding a few threads off the bolt does the trick if it's leaking a little. The new MLS gasket is a bit thicker than the old gaskets.. probably why it works better.

Old 11-21-2007, 11:41 PM
tattoojack
Veteran

then why would they change the entire HG instead of just makin shorter bolts. your info doesnt make any sense. they would not have redesigned the HG because of long bolts. they would have just released a tsb stating to shortin the bolts or buy new shorter ones. also many people have said their original HG still hasnt failed. others cant get 20k miles outta one. less than a millimeter will not increase compression enough to make a difference.

Old 11-22-2007, 01:11 AM
Slashwannabe

ORIGINAL: tattoojack

then why would they change the entire HG instead of just makin shorter bolts. your info doesnt make any sense. they would not have redesigned the HG because of long bolts. they would have just released a tsb stating to shortin the bolts or buy new shorter ones. also many people have said their original HG still hasnt failed. others cant get 20k miles outta one. less than a millimeter will not increase compression enough to make a difference.
Want to bet on that?

Obviously not all blocks are consistent coming out of the foundry and so its hard to gage weather or not you'll need to shorted some of the bolts or weather you'll be fine. Thicker gasket keeps the back yard engineer out of the equation and keeps it out of dealer hands. The MLS Gasket is superior anyway you look at it and even if the bolts didn't have a problem.

I'd Trust AllPar.com seeing they are sponsored and backed by Chrysler Corp.

Old 11-22-2007, 02:06 PM
spudsterier
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have never heard anything about the bolts....
the common story ive heard is that the gasket slowly starts to fall apart...then the compression just starts blowing hoes in it....

the bolt part doesnt sound right to me because i know plenty of people that had a failed cardboard gasket, they didnt take it to a dealer but just changed it themselves....didnt have to do anything with any of the bolts....just a straight up gasket change.....
if you were to just change the headgasket and re use the stock head bolts, then why does it work without any problems???? especially since there is only about a 1-3mm difference in gaskets.....thats like, 1 thread on the head bolt.....just doesnt make any sense to me...
i say they ar full of crap

Old 11-22-2007, 02:18 PM
estneon
Record Breaker

i doubt it's the bolt...they could have just bought the cheaper smaller size, drilled the hole a lilttle deeper, or just grinded 1-3mm off the bolt....they would not have bought a littler more expencive gasket[&:]

Quick Reply: Raising comprestion with MLS head gasket...