1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

99 dodge neon shuts off

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2008 | 03:42 AM
purecty
Default 99 dodge neon shuts off

i have asked before but no results so far. my 99 dodge neon will just shut off at any given time. it will restart after a few turnovers. the motor turns good. some have said its the fuel pump, but this has been going on for a year or more. it just stops w/e it wants too, but as i said it will restart after a few turnovers. it seems as if it was the fuel pump it should have went all the way out by now. it doesnt skip or jump or anything other than just stops.just my thoughts, but i know nothing. thats why im asking for help. i cant afford to let a mechanic chase it down. i live on a fixed income which is very little. right now i cant even afford a pump if that is the problem. any help is appreciated. ty kindly
bill

Old 01-05-2008 | 08:21 AM
purecty
Default RE: 99 dodge neon shuts off

i would hope i am not the only one that has ever had this particular problem. i had one gentleman say u are the only one i have ever heard of with this problem, ty
bill

Old 01-05-2008 | 09:18 AM
jfink
Veteran

sounds like your car stalls when stopped;when was the last time you changed your fuel filter? actually a few posts back they talked about a plastic fuel tank that does not require a fuel filter and i beleive it started in 97. but the fuel pump module has one integrated into it so to replace the fuel filter you'll have to replace the fuel pump. sorry i couldn't be more help

Old 01-05-2008 | 02:38 PM
purecty

i guess i'll have to put a fuel pum in it as it is in the tank. im sure that is where the filter is too if it has one. ty kindly
bill

Old 01-05-2008 | 02:59 PM
ryleynoyes
Veteran

do you have any mods done to the car, or is it all stock? if you have an msd, i can almost guarantee that you have a bad ground on your tach adapter.

if you don't have msd, check your ground straps anyway. a bad ground strap can do a lot. there is one from near the firewall on the passenger side that goes to the engine (i'm not sure where it's supposed to go as mine was disconnected, so i mounted mine to the exhaust, there was a bolt there that wasn't doing anything!)

Old 01-06-2008 | 04:11 AM
purecty

i have not done anything to the car except have a power steering belt installed about a year ago. other than plugs and tune up that is all. its just strange the way it just cuts off, but will start again in a few seconds.ty kindly
bill

Old 01-06-2008 | 01:01 PM
purecty

bump

Old 01-06-2008 | 03:02 PM
ryleynoyes
Veteran

i would still say check your ground straps

i know on 97's, they have an ASD (auto shutdown relay) which shuts the car down if it doesn't receive signal from the injectors or the cam position sensor (or crank position sensor, i can't remember which, i think cam tho) to prevent damage

i don't know if the 99's have this or something similar

just somethin to check.

also, check your batteryconnections for corrosion or just a bad connection, as a break in the system*could* cause this, doubtful, but it could.

do you have any other indications when or right before it happens?

bogging, gauges dropping to zero, radio shutting off, ANYTHING that happens near the car shutting down thatdoesn't happen during normal driving?

Old 01-06-2008 | 05:13 PM
purecty

no it just shuts down, nothing out of the ordinary. oops ,wife just told me that sometimes when u cut it off while getting gas it wont start right away again,the battery is new and turns over strong, it doesnt do this every time you cut it off, just sometimes,and also going down the road a couple times it shut off, but started right away again, ty kindly
bill

Old 01-07-2008 | 07:26 AM
purecty

bump

Quick Reply: 99 dodge neon shuts off