1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

dohc head need help

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 01:42 AM
spl_jon
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dohc head need help

hey every one hows it goin? lookin to buy another dohc head for my 98 neon, for port n polish and larger valves. problem isn't finding a head.problem is I don't know where to stat looking for the info? does any body know how large I can go with the port size on the valves? or a good place to get the info and parts? I'm also going to need new springs and posibly cams and rockers? I'v also heard of guys using the 2.4L cams on there 2.0L's does anybody know if that wrks? if any one has any info please get back to me thanx. you can also e mail me at spl_jon@hotmail.com [/align]

Old 01-13-2008, 02:49 AM
95to96transplantneon
Record Breaker
Default RE: dohc head need help

1mm over is the biggest they make...modernperformance.com sells them as do howellautomotive.com...

people use 2.0 cams in the 2.4 but not the other way around you would lose tq like mad...

go dig around at modernperformance.com for the springs retainers however the stock retainers work for even the highest of hp cars... so no need to swap them out for super expensive ones. they also have the cams your looking for... If you call them they can order larger cams then a crane 18... highest ive seen are crane 28's but you would need to drop about 5000 bucks on your head in porting and have all the best and higher compression just to use them... so yeah go dig around and keep asking questions someone here will have the answer...

Welcome by the way...

Old 01-14-2008, 08:17 PM
tranyinstaller
Professional

and when you buy valves get stainless, its worth it. dont cheap out on any of that stuff, the head is the most intricate part of the whole motor. im in the process of porting mine out as well but i decided to do it all at my work instead of sending in. so far it has been an interesting project. the exhuast side has this big bulge in cylender side that im reshaping to flow better and on the header side has this funky hump. i dont know why they designed the exhaust side the way they did, but it seams to me that they have to many high pressure zones for my liking. im gonna change the shape of the cylender side hump to have more of a half clover shape to redirect higher velocity exhaust to move around the valve stem and bore out the header side to relieve it of some of the high pressure that itwould see. really in my oppinion the exhaust side wasntdesigned that well.

Old 01-14-2008, 09:46 PM
Jr. Mechanic
Grand Champion

ORIGINAL: tranyinstaller

and when you buy valves get stainless, its worth it. dont cheap out on any of that stuff, the head is the most intricate part of the whole motor. im in the process of porting mine out as well but i decided to do it all at my work instead of sending in. so far it has been an interesting project. the exhuast side has this big bulge in cylender side that im reshaping to flow better and on the header side has this funky hump. i dont know why they designed the exhaust side the way they did, but it seams to me that they have to many high pressure zones for my liking. im gonna change the shape of the cylender side hump to have more of a half clover shape to redirect higher velocity exhaust to move around the valve stem and bore out the header side to relieve it of some of the high pressure that itwould see. really in my oppinion the exhaust side wasntdesigned that well.
Could not agree more.

Old 01-15-2008, 01:59 AM
12 volt
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: Jr. Mechanic

Could not agree more.
why would you say that, if you think about what a valve really does.

What its made out of souldnt make any difference on how it preformes. The only excetion being the exhaust side

Old 01-15-2008, 11:15 AM
Ghost Neon 2
Record Breaker

Many turbo neons are running stock valves. S/S valve are really not necessary if your car is tuned properly. Most high hp cars use them as a safety measure, but they are certainly not a must. Len went 600hp on a stock head, valves included. Get the picture? Just find a good machinist to do your head. Most all have a "go-to" guy/gal. I know I do

Old 01-15-2008, 03:37 PM
Jr. Mechanic
Grand Champion

ORIGINAL: Jr. Mechanic

Could not agree more.
I was agreeing more on the "the head is the most intricate part of the whole motor", but it is not a bad idea to get ss valves if he is planning on building the m

Old 01-16-2008, 02:40 PM
tranyinstaller
Professional

this ismy first neonengine build and for the most part my experience with engines has been my dads ford 460. when he and i started talking about building my engine i guess i just kinda used the "better safe than sorry" state of mind he raised me with. In his case he has to use them, but in our case your probably right s/s valves probably arrent needed but i think over time they would prove to wear better. Im probably gonna getthe stainless for mine but thats just my preferances.

Old 01-21-2008, 11:53 AM
spl_jon

thanx for all the info guy's.......it's going to be a great help...like sombody mentioned about the reshaping of the head around the exhaust port and what not.does any one know where it's best to remove material for better flow?and yes better safe than sorry. if I romove material from around ports should Ideck the head? because ultimatly you will be canging compression by removing material? thanx guys

Old 01-21-2008, 02:02 PM
12 volt
Record Breaker

because ultimatly you will be canging compression by removing material?
You shouldnt change compression if you just porting the intake and exhaust runners.

Just dont remove any material form the combustion chamber

http://www.sa-motorsports.com/diyport.aspx

Quick Reply: dohc head need help