1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

1998 r/t turbo questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 12:04 AM
spudsterier
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 1998 r/t turbo questions

the problem is that im not sure if MS will allow you to adjust the fuel as much as you will need to if you run an inline pump....but thats all i can say

Old 03-13-2008, 08:26 AM
dtjackten
2nd gen neon peace keeper
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

alrgith, thanks spud..... i will have to get a hold of mark again (2.4 swap guy) and see what he says..... thanks again spud.....

Old 03-14-2008, 09:49 PM
dtjackten

okay, anyone can help me with a 1:1 fuel reg??? i need to find one?? there is one on ebay, but ebay scares me...... anyway just some fyi for u all....

the welbro 255 with ms can accually be done with only the stock reg, but if u r running a stock reg and a return line, u have to get a 1:1 regulator for the return line side....

along with that, the welbro is set up for 500 hp(not whp, just to the crank)... but u have to have a return line... ODVIOUSLY. to get that much power..... so i am going to have to get a 1:1 reg. i have the return line used last year already installed

anyway, as of now the "hot rod neon"(then nickname for my neon) may not be be drivin this year... due to money [:@] i am not going to hury this car along and kick myself in the *** later becuase i blow up something....

Old 03-17-2008, 01:58 PM
Slashwannabe

ORIGINAL: spudsterier

your such adamn moron...
just because the car has been running, doesnt mean it isnt running right.....

2.2 turbo cars may have had a 45psi fuel pump, but they were made to handle the turbo (i.e., fuel injectors, pcm, rods, regulator) the neons were not built to handle a turbo, therefor the neons fuel pump can easily overheat and the pump/injectors can fail quicker....

Spud, thats where you are WRONG again, 2.2 cars were not built to handle the Turbo, they put the Turbo on the same components that the original first 3 years of 2.2s had and it just so happened to work. Cold plugs and slightly higher octaneeliminateMotor killing Ping. With how much I've beat my Neon do you still think the motor would be running if I had pre detonation? Look up Pete Hagenbuch he designed the 2.2 and confirms it was never meant for a turbo or forced induction.

Spud I respect you but alot less after that comment.That comment pisses me right the f u c k off.

You want to know what a moron is Spud?A Moron is spending $8,000 in a car that still runs 15s since you've sold your turbo and everything else. I have something simular to what you spent $8,000 trying to achieve for only $150. I mean come on $8,000 on a car thats worth $2500 now in perfect condition? I think your jelious that somebody was creative enough and didn't care if he blew his motor to try something like I did. Put a Turbo on a stock car and fuel system and run with the big boys. You can't handle that it is that easy with the proper precautions.

Do you really think if I care the motor blows if I can buy a SOHC or Neon in general for under $500? and put the motor in the car in a day and have fun with the car for another 6 months to a year? If I wanted toI could have a bullitproof bottom end for $700 which is what I'll do if this motor ever goe's. For now I've been having my fun for 5 months and the motor runs great.

You even with a built for turbo motor haven't had the same engine in your car for 5 months at a clipanyway and you had all the stereo typical mods for the Turbo that set your mind at ease and you still have problems which leads a person to believe that those expensive mods were a waste because you ended up selling everything that made your car great.

If you really did spend $8,000 on your Red R/T I wouldn't brag about it because it still looks and perform like a stock Neon. Normally people have something to show for after spending $8,000.

SOHC and DOHC engines are a dime a dozen why go in the hole

Old 03-17-2008, 09:17 PM
dtjackten

well, spuds problem with the block was just a mistake with his je pistons.. but he was also running damn near 400 hp on his car.... i am not taking sides in this AT ALL... but u could never get near 400hp that cheap.... i think 8k is not bad to get that much power.... seing i have already spent about 4500 on just my head and turbo setup.... bottom end still to come..... i would perfor to have stuff done for alittle better and spend a little more and make it alittle more reliable.....

anyway

i like both of u but in all honesty i could use some help with a few things.....

anyone know what kind of ignition is in a second gen... just for my ms set up is all

.... and what kind of iac valve is the stock one???? stepper?????

Old 03-17-2008, 10:18 PM
Slashwannabe

ORIGINAL: dtjackten

well, spuds problem with the block was just a mistake with his je pistons.. but he was also running damn near 400 hp on his car.... i am not taking sides in this AT ALL... but u could never get near 400hp that cheap.... i think 8k is not bad to get that much power.... seing i have already spent about 4500 on just my head and turbo setup.... bottom end still to come..... i would perfor to have stuff done for alittle better and spend a little more and make it alittle more reliable.....

anyway

i like both of u but in all honesty i could use some help with a few things.....

anyone know what kind of ignition is in a second gen... just for my ms set up is all

.... and what kind of iac valve is the stock one???? stepper?????
Don't get me wrong I like Spud alot he's been the reason I've liked comming to this forum andfrom looking at his pic's of his car and listening to his storys about his carmade me want to turbo mine. I think the world of the guyI'm just pissed at him right now over callin me a moron. Spud reminds me of me and my brother how we think nothing of working on cars and doing stuff ourselves the only difference is me and my brother don't worry about stuff breaking as much as Spud does.

I refuse to spend over 2gs on a 4 cylinder, I'd deffinitly have my Hemi in a car if I had 4g's to spend. $500 I can get 400hp out of my331 Hemi, $4500 I can get the motor Gold plated with Diamond Valve Covers. At some point you have to put the clamps on the wallet and settle on good used parts, having brand new awesomestuff only if its really truely needed and I think everybody knows where I stand on the subject of Turbo's that cost $2g's. I don't care if mine goes out and its doubtfull it will since it was designed to last 200,000 miles in a daily driver K-Car.And at $30-100 a pop at the junk yard you can afford to have one go out.

With all the effort it takes to squeeze 400hp out of a 4 cylinder wouldn't you just go with a V8 and spend the balance on fitting the V8 in a Neon? I'm waiting for a sexy 2 door Neon to come my way so my Hemi can finally have a home. My turbo is going to be pretty much the last majormod I'll ever do to my motor besides porting and bettercam and possibly forgedrods and KBpistons if anything happens to this motor. Mid 13s to low 13s in the 1/4 mile is the only real goal I have power wise and whatever it takes to achieve reliablythat is where I'll stop modding and go onto dress up.

From day one with my Neon I've never been about the Show without the Go, its been about performance which is why I still have a $40 Wal Mart Durabrand Cd player in my car running on stock speakers and why my hood is still fkd up from the deer I hit a year ago. I'd hate myself if I made my car look fast and it was really a ***** so from day one I vowed to make it fast then do show and dress up which is why I felt comfortable enough to put SRT-4 stickers on it now once the turbo was all set up nice.

Old 03-18-2008, 09:42 AM
dtjackten

i have also gotten a used turbo for my car... accually two, but that is about all i got that was used.... i need to sell my rrfpr or trade for a 1:1 for my ms system,..... my car is based on show and go, i have went to some big shows and get trophys most of the time.... but my car is based one thing..... i want 400whp........ that is what i am after, nothing more nothing less.... to get that much power out of a sohc takes money, and time. i have built the car myself, but when it comes to the bottom end i will leave that to the pros.....

money is always slim to non for me, so alot of times i trade stuff or do some side work to get parts for my car... but when i open my hood i want it to look good...(just me) i like to hear people say holy **** when i open it up..... that is why i have spent alot of time polishing stuff and making it look good....

Old 03-18-2008, 01:17 PM
Slashwannabe

I'm gonna work on painting my Valve Cover up and buying some nice stuff to accent the turbo.

My car is far from a show car but I can consentrate ondressing it up nice now that I got the motor squared away.

Old 03-18-2008, 06:25 PM
spudsterier
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Slashwannabe
You want to know what a moron is Spud?A Moron is spending $8,000 in a car that still runs 15s since you've sold your turbo and everything else.
who the hell do you think you are????
so your saying that im a moron because i spent tons of money on my car and dont have the stuff anymore????
do you have any idea why i sold everything????
i sold it all bacause my wife and i lost our jobs and i had rent and bills to pay....so im a moron because a car isnt as important to me as my home and my family?????
thatsjust retarded to even make a comment like that.....

I have something simular to what you spent $8,000 trying to achieve for only $150. I mean come on $8,000 on a car thats worth $2500 now in perfect condition? I think your jelious that somebody was creative enough and didn't care if he blew his motor to try something like I did.
your carzy to even think thatwhat you got for $150 was even remotely close to what i wated $8000 on.....have you ever seen a full list of the mods that the car had????

(just to refresh your memory)
JE pistons
Eagle rods
clevite 77 rod and main bearings
polished and balanced crankshaft
new oil pump, new water pump, new ttiming belt, new idler pulleys, all new gaskets
block bored .020 over
ported head and intake manifold
crane #14 cams
crane valve springs
Brain Crower titanium valve spring retainers
stage 1 clutch
phantom grip lsd
srt4 turbo/manifold
srt4 intercooler
2.5" intercooler pipe
mopar blow off valve
AGP adjustable wastegate actuator
solid motor mount inserts
sohc 3.55 tranny
2.5" exhaust
srt4 cat. convertor
srt4 rear section
srt4 rims
hurst short throw shifter
booger shifter bushings
koni adjustable struts
mopar high rate springs
prothane suspension bushings
addco 7/8" rear sway bar
accel 30# fuel injectors
custom fuel rail
begi fuel pressure regulator
(2) walboro 255lph fuel pumps
1/4" fuel return line
braided stainless steel brake lines
hahn racecraft map clamp
euro tail
clear side markers
twin halo headlights
and including the lambo doors
but that was all actually a bit over $8,000
so i dont think there is really much of a comparison....

its rediculous to even think that i would be jelous of a $150 turbo kit......the fact is just that i had the money and wanted everything to be the best when it came to that car...i actually took got an additional job to pay for everything....
i know the car wasnt worth the money put into it, but i wanted all that junk since i got my 1st neon and finally had a chance to get it...at the time i bought all the parts, i had 3 full time jobs and 1 part time job.....i slept for 5 hours a day, had 2 hours a day to work on the car, and the rest of the time went into jobs that were paying for the car.....
it doesnt matter what the car is worth....it all goes by how much you like the car and how YOU want it to be....
[/quote]
Do you really think if I care the motor blows if I can buy a SOHC or Neon in general for under $500? and put the motor in the car in a day and have fun with the car for another 6 months to a year?
i know that you dont care....thats why i made sure to tell everyone that if they care about their cars, then dont follow your way of doing things...

You even with a built for turbo motor haven't had the same engine in your car for 5 months at a clipanyway and you had all the stereo typical mods for the Turbo that set your mind at ease and you still have problems which leads a person to believe that those expensive mods were a waste because you ended up selling everything that made your car great.
everything on the car was a waste of money....i need my wife to respect me and a place to live rather then a fast car....besides, it wasnt me that had problems or the parts that had problems...it was the ****ty shop that bored out my block...its that simple...it was their fault that the motor had problems....not the parts

If you really did spend $8,000 on your Red R/T I wouldn't brag about it because it still looks and perform like a stock Neon. Normally people have something to show for after spending $8,000.
thats just a rediculous comment right there....
right now it looks like a regular stock neon....but still doesnt perform like one....but then again...there isnt $8000 into the car right now is there?????
besides, when the car DID have the money put into it, there was sumthing to show for it...such as a neon that took out a corvette Z06, evo 8, STI, and a few srt-4's....including a stage 3 srt4

what did i get out of selling all the parts?????
a mildly modded r/t with a fresh completely rebuilt motor, a place to continue to live, and a wife that respects me for getting rid of sumthing i loved so much, just to make sure that she didnt have to worry about loosing our house...

your just a silly little boy that doesnt understand anything....think a little before you start ragging....im soooooo sorry if my respect for my wife bothers you in any way...
take a bit of time and think about stuff some more you useless little bastard

Old 03-19-2008, 12:52 AM
01silverram
Veteran

Im not into getting involved with forum fights but i have to say i will stand in pauls corner on this one. He is the reason I have owned numerous r/t's. He has worked on every single car i own and has done and excellent job. His knowledge of turbo set ups, fuel management systems, suspension is something i wish i had. He has spent coutless hours answering my questions about getting a r/t turbo ready. I ofcourse dont know alot about the neons but i do know that when someone takes the time to answer questions on a forum dont ya think you should listen?
I mean this is a "free" site. Ive learned alot from asking questions. Some out there will look at your post and not even bother to answer it..........BUT pauls answered my questions when i first started on this forum. He never asked for a damn thing in return either.
So if ya think your $150 or $400 turbo set up has something then take me for a ride. Ive been in pauls rt when the turbo was in it..........and that baby FLEW. Now with a built motor and no turbo she still halls ***.
I know paul and his wife personally and I have to say they are some great people. Always there to help and they never ask for anything in return. I have the utmost respect for someone that has lost a great paying job to cut backs and sold something he loved.
So if any cry baby from up north (im from antigo, wi) wants to challenge anyone...........he better think about who hes talking to before he posts some BS like that again. AND when that certain person gets his $150 or whatever turbo set up done.............take a trip south....... i have a little car that needs to have some fun............ill send you a pic of the front of it seeing youd only see my rear bumper ;-)

enough said people............ now lets get back to helping other neon owners take out those rice rocket hondas!

jeff
USMC

01 Dodge Ram....w/35's & other things..
97 Sebring (pauls fav car,lol)
98 Neon R/T
84 Colt GTS....silver
84 Colt GTS....black
73 Scamp.....318 baby!

Quick Reply: 1998 r/t turbo questions