1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

1998 r/t turbo questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 06:29 PM
r/tjunky
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 r/t turbo questions

i need some help i have a new t3 turbo i just need every thing else to turbo my neon rt can any one tell me what i need and where i can get it thanks

Old 02-05-2008, 07:36 PM
dtjackten
2nd gen neon peace keeper
Default RE: 1998 r/t turbo questions

u just have the turbo???

u will need

rrfpr
turbo exhaustmanifold
intercooler
intercooler piping
oil and coolant lines
bov
fuel injectors
some sort of fuel management.... ms or safc
aftermarket fuel pump
return line system
vaccum line

i am sure there r things i am missing but that is all i can come up with in the few min i have....

most of the stuff u can get on ebay, or modernperformance.com

and alot ofpeople have turbed neons on this sight, and i am sure there r some of us that will be willing to sell some unused stuff that we have sitting in our garage...... me being one of them..... lol good luck

Old 02-05-2008, 09:04 PM
r/tjunky

yeah a t3 it com with talon header aftermarket fuel pump and injectors that i know that will work with that just bought it and gettin back into cars been out 3 years

Old 03-07-2008, 07:12 AM
Slashwannabe

ORIGINAL: dtjackten

u just have the turbo???

u will need

rrfpr
turbo exhaustmanifold
intercooler
intercooler piping
oil and coolant lines
bov
fuel injectors
some sort of fuel management.... ms or safc
aftermarket fuel pump
return line system
vaccum line

Ok He doesn't really need all of that, you need to know what kind of **** he's running to rattle off like that yet DT i think yer a cool guy but don't use slang terms to a noob like bov,rrfpr ect... This **** is hard enough to understand without tryin to decode slang.

R/TJunky-The Fuel Pump,Riseing Rate Fuel pressure regulator andReturn line **** just forget he even mentioned that. That is... if you plan on running under 10psi of boost.

The stock Fuel Pump and Regulator will handle 0-10 psi of turbo boost. Stock Fuel injectors are also good up to 10psi. Another thing you don't really need is an intercooler. Intercooler is fine but below 13psi you don't need it, otherwise it will lag you more than the 15more hp is worth.

Seeing you do have an R/T that means your running a Manual transmission which means you will need a Blow off Valve so that when you shift the excess burp from your turbo being spooled while you lose RPM wont go into your turbo and slow it down and possibly fk it up.

Your going to need:

DOHC Exhaust manifold: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/95-99...spagenameZWDVW

Remember these stores NAPA and Car Quest they will save yer *** on Oil drain fittings,coolent T's,Turbo feed Lines and also rely on your local hardware store for making your oil T fitting for the oil pressure sesnor so you can tap off that for your turbo feed. Your Turbo Feed line can be made from Car Quests heavy duty 300psi Flame resistant rubberhose.

Next you'll need an Ebay special Boost Controller for $15-20

To fool your cars computer from seeing boost you will need to buy a map clamp or missing link as its called both can be found on ebay. Or if you have access to a old 2.2 or 2.5 Turbo motor use the map sensor off one of those as it is a 2 bar map sensor good up to 15 Psi of boost. It uses the same wire coding the neons harness does so basically its plug and play, you will need to either plug it in to the stock harness through the bare wires or moddedconnectors or solder the Neons connector on to it then uncork the blocked off port on your intake manifold and put the sensor in there.

You'll need alot of different odds and ends but the hardest part is aquiring a Turbo and manifold. The rest is easy with a little imagination and good hardware and car parts stores.

Incase you question my information I will just let you know now that I am running a Mitsubishi TE04 on my stock SOHC Neon on stock injectors and fuel pump and no riseing rate fuel pressure regulator, I am just using a Map clamp and good ol' 89 octane to keep me from pinging. Neons also run very rich the way it is from the factory so even before I decided to run the 89 octane I ran good. The Map clamp is nice because you can adjust how much fuel you can have the PCM add just by turning a screw driver.

Here's a picture of my updated turbo system hope you find it usefull

Old 03-07-2008, 03:09 PM
dtjackten

i cant wait for ur 15-20 dollar boost controler from ebay malfunction and u spike boost to 28 psi and blow ur engine threw ur hood...... and YES it deff does happen, i was with a kid when it happened.......

as for the rest, how r u controling fuel without any type of management system????

Old 03-08-2008, 09:38 AM
Slashwannabe

i cant wait for ur 15-20 dollar boost controler from ebay malfunction and u spike boost to 28 psi and blow ur engine threw ur hood...... and YES it deff does happen, i was with a kid when it happened.......

as for the rest, how r u controling fuel without any type of management system????
Thanks for the support on the boost controller Actually its alot better than the price suggests, I was learly tillI got it and seen that this thing isn't coming apart!

Even if the boost controller fails the turbo is default at 10psi, it has a modded actuator rod thats slightly longer than stock.

As for fuel management, I can slightly adjust my fuel/air ratio with the map clamp and my IAT resistor actually does work (so far) its set for the 48 degree range 3.9kohm. I'm only running 7-8psi right now plus I use 89 octane top tier from Kwik Trip, the **** don't ping!. The stock regulator and fuel pumpis adequate for 10psi and under. Neons run a little rich anyway 7psi isn't going to affect it.

All the horror storys I've heard about Neon's blowing up was when people were juicing the stock motor at 14-16psi and using it at extremly high engine speeds. They blew even with all the nice fuel managment ****, they didn't ping they ran good but each one I've heard of blowing up just shot rods.

The guy I got my turbo fromsaid that my turbo blew his first DOHC up at 16psi at 6,600 Rpmand the guy I got my newmanifold from said his blew up at 14psi while racing a built SRT-4.

Stock motors throw rods at those high of engine speeds without the turbo, I don't take mine over 5800 Rpm. I believe spud said he blew a stock motor up at 120mph or something like that. If the motor wants to go it will go I can't stop it.I have an extra SOHC sitting that is on call but hopefully I won't have to use him. I've been 4-5 months on this set up and no problems or pinging. I also rarely beat the living **** out of the car anymore as I don't need to use all the motor has to be competitive, I get my speed rush off the line and half throttle and thats it, I rarely race a car that can hang where I need to use full throttle to beat the guy. Civics,DOHC Cavaliers,Probes, V6's don't even make mebreak a sweat racing them.

Old 03-08-2008, 03:18 PM
vipersforsale
Record Breaker

damn man couldnt you have made that picture smaller... nothing like having to scroll over 2 pages to read the posts

Old 03-08-2008, 06:33 PM
Slashwannabe

Sorry man, I have 1280x1024 resolution and it looked good to me, and if I made the pic smaller it would ruin my captions and blur them. The next thing I could have done is paste the link to it but some people have pm'ed me about the links not working so I figured posting the pics manually would work better

Old 03-09-2008, 08:29 PM
dtjackten

cool slashwannabe, i knew the fuel pump was good for low boost but i had to have it for furture mods........ my goal is the 400hp mark, and we both know that the stock fuel pump will not run that much hp.... LOL......do u have any pics of ur setup slash?? i would like to see it, mine has not moved soooooo no scence in postin pics.[&:] and did u ever run an intercooler... my friend go one off a saab and used that... (same one that blew up with the boost controler) but i think i may upgrade my intercooler at some point, prolly not till the bottom end gets built... i dont run the hell out of my car either, i usually just run 0-60 not braking the speed limit over 5 mph

Old 03-10-2008, 06:41 AM
Slashwannabe

cool slashwannabe, i knew the fuel pump was good for low boost but i had to have it for furture mods........ my goal is the 400hp mark, and we both know that the stock fuel pump will not run that much hp.... LOL......do u have any pics of ur setup slash?? i would like to see it, mine has not moved soooooo no scence in postin pics.[&:] and did u ever run an intercooler... my friend go one off a saab and used that... (same one that blew up with the boost controler) but i think i may upgrade my intercooler at some point, prolly not till the bottom end gets built... i dont run the hell out of my car either, i usually just run 0-60 not braking the speed limit over 5 mph

Exactly if you wanna go over 10psi then you must upgrade. Everything works out for me because fortunatly the stockMotor,Fuel pump and regulatorare good up to10 psi. You also find that once you have the power you don't need to floor it to make the car move, thats one of the best bennifits from having a Turbo, the car doesn't take as much of the pedal to get going. When My Neon was NA on cold mornings it was always fun to drive cuz you barely touch the pedal and the thing took off and now with the turbo its like that and a whole lot more regaurdless how cold it is outside.

I'm not putting the turbo on to break records in the 1/4 mile, I just wanted an enjoyable car to drive and one that has alot of powerwhen I'm hauling a full load of peopleand whenI wantto raceto knowI have the power to give somebody arespectable race with a Neon but also smash builtweight reducedCivics and cocky small blockV8s and V6's.A high 13 second low 14 second Neon will so some damage on the street to those cocky Ricers.

Lets face it once you get a load of people in your car you don't feel as nimble and powerfullas you were by yourself, so the turbo makes it enjoyable no matter what.

Quick Reply: 1998 r/t turbo questions