1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Bought the 2.4 today

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 07:09 PM
Slashwannabe
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Bought the 2.4 today

For $500 more you could have gotten a Srt-4 or PT Cruiser TURBO 2.4

Its a blessing ifyou can't get the motor. As much as I'm against the SRT 4 swap **** I would rather see you buy that than the regualr run of the mill2.4.

Old 03-08-2008, 08:58 PM
boxerjl2
Record Breaker

ok around 6 grand and a pain in the *** to drop in the SRT4 2.4

compaired to $995 to get the 2.4

just a little gap right there

Old 03-08-2008, 10:51 PM
Slashwannabe

ORIGINAL: boxerjl2

$1800 for the PT 2.4 Turbomotor and the one I know of comes with all electronics PCM included. You just gota look! The deals are out there. My TE04 turbo like mineis going for $200-$250 on ebay in working condition and I paid $30, deals are there just gota look for them.

Is going a tenth-2 tenths of a second faster worth $995? if I'm gonna drop a$1,000 I better at leastshave 2-3 seconds off my Quarter Mile time.

You are a perfect example why people think building a car up takes so much money and the perfect poster boy for the people who say they spent $8,000 on a car that still does16 seconds in the 1/4 Mile.

I bet you could buy a whole Stratus for $300 and get the 2.4 with a transmission and all the **** you need to run it. My cousin has a white Stratus with a 2.4 she's getting rid of it runs great and she only wants $500 for the whole car and its in very nice shape and runs.

My main point is I got less than $500 in everything on my car including the purchase price of the car with my homemade turbo kit and I'll still be $495 under the price of your motor alone and be vastly faster than your car with a mildly built 2.4 could ever dream to be. besides ebay has turbo kits for $400-500.

The 2.4 is a nice option if you have nothing else and you get the motor for free or under $400but in stock form and spending $995it just plain sucks. If you go through with it I hope you realize what a expensive mistake you made.

Don't take this the wrong way but I think your putting the 2.4 in becauseits a cop outor you listen to "know it allpeople" who have slow cars themselves.

I know its your money your decision but damn I can't stand to see people fu ck themselves in their own ***. Also if you don't have money or know how to cut corners did you ever think maybe nows isnt the right time to build your car up any old way?

Don't take offense anybody but if you spend $995 on a stock 2.4 for a performanceupgrade with no other modsno matter how many miles are on it you are a fkn idiot. You make Doug's $2000 Purchase on a Hahn turbo kit look like a steal.You would be smarter to buy the forged pistons for $400 and the awesomehigh strengthrods for $300 and make your NeonSOHC or NeonDOHC bulletproof and then just buy a turbo or nitrouslater as funds arrive.

So you buy the 2.4 for the 8hp gain and 15ft lbs of torque gain, you could have bought a nice cam shaft or ported your heads for much cheaper than the $995 and have a motor that will run circles around the 2.4. You say you don't have alot of money to spend and you want performance, performance isn't always cheap and it isn't alwaysexpensivebut the people who are selling you the 2.4 see you coming. They probablysaid look at this ignorant teenager I bet we can soak him and have his mom pick up whatever we over charge him on.

Boxer I've always thought you were cool just don't be ignorant and buy this motor.

Old 03-08-2008, 11:59 PM
neonracer1010
All Star

ORIGINAL: Slashwannabe

So you buy the 2.4 for the 8hp gain and 15ft lbs of torque gain, you could have bought a nice cam shaft or ported your heads for much cheaper than the $995 and have a motor that will run circles around the 2.4.
Boxer I've always thought you were cool just don't be ignorant and buy this motor.
haha HEADS! we only have one on our cars slash! hahahahaha just givin u a hard time man

o and boxer I can get u a 2.4 for way cheaper than what ur gonna get and if ur gonna spend that much money on it u could fix what this one needs and have money left to spare! PM me about it if you are interested

Old 03-09-2008, 12:41 AM
Slashwannabe

ORIGINAL: neonracer1010

haha HEADS! we only have one on our cars slash! hahahahaha just givin u a hard time man
LoL, Sorry I'd normally be the first one to point that out Good one, Ya got me!

I just think he'll be disapointed when he spends all that money for a regular 2.4 anddoes the swap and its not much faster than hisSOHC was because he's using SOHC gears with it.

At least he'll get good gas mileage.

Old 03-09-2008, 05:12 AM
boxerjl2
Record Breaker

It showed me i didnt post this so yeah its on next post

Old 03-09-2008, 05:18 AM
boxerjl2
Record Breaker

My main point is I got less than $500 in everything on my car including the purchase price of the car with my homemade turbo kit and I'll still be $495 under the price of your motor alone and be vastly faster than your car with a mildly built 2.4 could ever dream to be. besides ebay has turbo kits for $400-500.
That is all true but how much longer is it going to last??

You say you don't have alot of money to spend and you want performance, performance isn't always cheap and it isn't alwaysexpensivebut the people who are selling you the 2.4 see you coming. They probablysaid look at this ignorant teenager I bet we can soak him and have his mom pick up whatever we over charge him on.
every qoute i got on the 2.4 was either well over the 995 or there was one for 800 but they would nto verify the motors. and im truly not looking for the fastest neon out there but i want reliabilty and little bit of kick wouldnt be bad to go along with it.. and yes it might be kinda of a cop-out but im on a time limit and i really dont have time to sit down and do everything right. i need to have this car finished up because im moving this summer and i need the money to get were im going and dont want to spend all summer trying to fix my car..

Old 03-09-2008, 05:44 AM
Slashwannabe

That is all true but how much longer is it going to last??
Most NeonEngine deathsrelated toturbosoccur above 13psi and above 6,000 Rpm while running 13psi or more. Then there are some motors that just throw a rod regardless ofhow its driven and how its maintained and what type of induction it has. I'm not saying 13 is the magic number its just a starting point of destruction in where it coresponds to power and reliability with stock rods.

I gota be honest I've gathered parts from at least 3 or 4 guys who blew their sohc,dohcs up running over 13 psi on a stock motor all were Manual transmission cars, not saying the mtx has directly anything to do with that but you gota admit when you have the ability to keep a motor in gear longer during a race your going to do it .

The stockrods start to fly out of the block at the 300hp range and 10-13psi is getting pretty close to that mark!With regularbeatings above 6,000 Rpm with a ton of boost reliability.

I've gone 5 months on my turbo set up and I've taken solace in the fact 7-8 psi is all I'm going to safely get out of a stock bottom end SOHC. To me the 60hp Gain is enough for a stock motor with an already good performance recordI don't need to be a hot shot running insane boost. Eventually I may build up a SOHC with heavy duty rods and pistons and good cam with aported head and call it a day and slap 20psi to it. I'm running the exact same boost the old 2.2 Turbo cars ran on a daily basis for 100,000s of 1,000s of miles so i find 7psi to be safe.

All the guys I've talked to and read story's on message boards about have something in common, All their motors threw rods, it wasn't pistons melting from lack of fuel it was rods stretching from excessive boost. Keep the boost in the 7-8 psi range you'll be alright.

Old 03-09-2008, 09:02 AM
bone33
Record Breaker

wow what a great price. i could install this motor in a 2000 cheaper than a paying someone else to do my timing belt and have alot less miles on it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2003-...em320223498603

Old 03-09-2008, 10:32 PM
Slashwannabe

ORIGINAL: bone33

wow what a great price. i could install this motor in a 2000 cheaper than a paying someone else to do my timing belt and have alot less miles on it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2003-...em320223498603

That might even be the 150hp SOHC Its a good buy all around. My friend has a 2003 SXT with a 5 speed SOHC and damn that fkr has some *****.Not sure if its the 150hp version but she moves thats for sure!.

I just got done checking that motor out on ebay, I'd buy that motor and a ebay turbo kit if I was Boxer, he'd be well under the $995 limit.

Quick Reply: Bought the 2.4 today