1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Bought the 2.4 today

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 12:52 AM
boxerjl2
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Bought the 2.4 today

You say your rods are knocking but I'd like to hear an audio clip of that, So if they really are your looking at pulling the motor anyway. There are such things as lifters which can knock and alot of un trainedpeople confuse this knock for rods when its not.

How did the the knock come about? were you racing? lol

so i had an audio up of it a while back.. but i deleted it and i took it to a shop and they said it was a rod knockking

well what started the problem is i went and got my oil changed by walmart cuz i was in Oklahoma and i didnt know of anywere else to go and my step dad was willing to pay so i said ok.. so when i got back here i was driving around for a couple days and i began to notice a mild knocking sound so i stopped the car and shut it off and went and checked the oil and i didnt ahve any in there.. but i could not find any major oil leaks anywere,, but i filled it up with oil and a couple days later i was back to empty and the knocking got louder,,

Old 03-11-2008, 02:44 AM
boxerjl2
Record Breaker

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/420a-...spagenameZWD1V

that is the only ebay turbo i can find

I personally would have bought the $500 ebay turbo kit first
Do you have the link to the $500 one you were talking about

Old 03-11-2008, 03:15 AM
Slashwannabe

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Dodge...em320225716827

The one I always talk about is a SOHC kit and its not on there right now as the guy does this as a side business, he'll have more stuff soon he usually does.

Have Wal mart pay for your 2.4...lol

Old 03-11-2008, 01:36 PM
boxerjl2
Record Breaker

The turbo has shaft play so it will need a rebuild.
yeah i saw that kit but it said it needed to be rebuilt and i dont know what that consists of

Old 03-11-2008, 10:35 PM
boxerjl2
Record Breaker

what does rebuilding a turbo consist of?

Old 03-11-2008, 10:59 PM
95to96transplantneon
Record Breaker

tearing it compleatly apart and replaceing all the seals bearings and compressor wheels... may be a bit more then that but thats where you start...

Old 03-12-2008, 01:40 AM
Slashwannabe

ORIGINAL: boxerjl2

what does rebuilding a turbo consist of?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Garre...spagenameZWDVW

By the time you buy the turbo and buy the rebuild kit you could buy this cool rebuilt Garrett T03Turbo. Then buy the DOHC or SOHC Manifold for $150, then a few trips to Napa and Car quest and you have built your own turbo kit for $400. If you do go that route I'll show you everything you need to put it on and run a reliable 7psi system for $400 or under, depending on local prices in your area.

If you decide to get into the motor a little bit down the road this turbo can produce over 30psi. There are 2.2 Turbo cars that run 34psi!!!!. This turbo will give you alot better driveability than a t4 turbo because the t3/t4 turbo mod and t4 itself is way too big for a motor 2.0-2.6 liter andwill spool slow unless engine size is almost 3liters. The T03 is what came on a 2.2 Chrysler engine andits very reliable, my brothers Chrysler Lazer had 235,000 miles on his stock Turbo and motor.

Old 03-12-2008, 01:54 AM
Slashwannabe

I say buy a rebuilt one cuz with old turbos the bolts usually have become one with the housing due to heat and moisture and its just a nasty job if you don't have the right tools to tap out the broken bolts that break when you try to take them out.

Old 03-12-2008, 11:00 AM
boxerjl2
Record Breaker

it wasn't pistons melting from lack of fuel
just curious i was reading over this post ,cuz i am bored at school and i saw that,
and i havent heard of you talking about it
but do you have any supporting fuel mods like larger injectors or high flowing fuel pump.. becuz if not i would think that would cause lack of fuel.. becuz the Air/ Fuel ratio would be off..
correct me if im wrong

Old 03-12-2008, 03:04 PM
Slashwannabe

ORIGINAL: boxerjl2

it wasn't pistons melting from lack of fuel
just curious i was reading over this post ,cuz i am bored at school and i saw that,
and i havent heard of you talking about it
but do you have any supporting fuel mods like larger injectors or high flowing fuel pump.. becuz if not i would think that would cause lack of fuel.. becuz the Air/ Fuel ratio would be off..
correct me if im wrong
I might get shut up, but no the Neon runs rich enough from thefactory. Plus I use colder NGK's or Champions can't remember...lol I have used both, usually the coldest plugs I can find. There was one Neon I knew of that blew up and he was running insanely Hot plugs!

Cold plugs are said to reduce the chance of pinging (pre detonation) Chryslerssince at least 1984 have always used the coldest plugs they could get from Champion. I don't know about post 1984 but pre 84 they used the coldest plugs they could get to combat engine wear and pinging.

Your stock regulator is sort of a riseing rate regulator but not on the same scale as a aftermarket one, it provides more fuel based off of the TPS (throttle positioning Sensor) so with the allready Rich mixture it pours in more gas as you use more throttle so 8psi is easily achievable with stock pump and regulator. Useing a map clamp can slightly adjust your fuel ratio as well as a 3.9k ohm resistor.

Ah which brings me to the resistor hack which nobody said works! it doesn't work normally because Neons use a Dual Sensor in 1 with their IAT and Map sensor unit, you unplug one it fks the other one up so even if you have the resistor in it doesn't do anything for the map. So with a map clamp you can finally use the 3.9k ohm resistor tomake a IAT Clamp, it clamps it at around48 degreeswhich gives a bit richer mixture than stock. So basically you'll have a IAT and Map Clamp

On the 95 Neons the IAT trick will eventually lean out cuz it doesn't jive with what the map sensor reads but if you use a map clamp both are clamped and can't tell the pcm to change!!!! The map will tell the pcm that there is too much fuel for the given intake pressure thats why it doesn't work long term but with a map clamp the IAT trick does work.

So I got cold plugs,richer mixture and I use 89 octane Top Tier gasoline from Kwik Trip stores. In 5 months I have yet to notice a ping.

Quick Reply: Bought the 2.4 today