1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

98 neon not getting spark

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 01:50 PM
unclebuck13
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 neon not getting spark

98 Dodge Neon No Spark? I have a 98 neon sohc with no spark. I have replaced the pcm, cam pos sensor and crank sensor. I am not getting a light when I test the center pin on the coil plug. Which should mean that I am not getting anything from the relay. I have swapped out the relay and nothing. When i test the relay slot I have 2 slots with power both with key on and key off. Where the heck should I look next. It has to be in the wiring somewhere. I see this question a lot on tons of forums but non have a response to what they did to fix this problem.

i was testing at the asd relay. So if it is possible for the wiring from the sensors to the pcm would you know what pins to test and the correct way to test them. Power on or off etc.

Thanks for your help as this is my only mode of transportation and I have spent the entire day in 15 degree weather while getting 3 inches of snow. I have expired my knowledge on this vehicle. Everything that should be giving it spark has been tested including the timing belt.

This so sucks. It just didnt start last Tuesday. It ran fine perfect on Monday.

Old 03-10-2008, 09:35 AM
unclebuck13
Default RE: 98 neon not getting spark

I have replaced all the sensors in the circuit. I am still not getting power to the center pin on the coil plug either when car is in start position or on position. I replaced the pcm from the junkyard and a guy at the local parts store said I would need to have the pcm flashed so that it will recognize my car.

Today after work I will start using a meter and start testing wires to see if they are broken. If that isnt it then I am getting to the end of my mechanical knowledge. I will also start cleaning and filing ground connections to make sure everything is grounded correctly. I really need this car to run. I have used almost all of my vacation time up and had to bum a ride to work this morning. It has officially been dead for a week today. Really really frustrating. The bad thing is I am raising a family of 4 on my salery and dont have much money left over to send this thing into the garage and I dont know where to send it where it will get fixed correctly. Our local dodge dealer isnt worth a darn. Last time I brought my truck in to have the ac fixed they called me to pick it up and the entire interior was laying on the seat. They drove it out from the back like that and gave me the keys. I am totally confused and getting ready to give up and see if I can find a beater for a couple hundred just to get to work.

Old 03-10-2008, 07:15 PM
unclebuck13

Ok So I have tested all the wires leading to the Camshaft Position Sensor to the Pcm with a continuity tester. They all test fine. So do all the wires to the Crankshaft Position Sensor. And also the wires to the coil. Now what do I look for? The wires from the pcm to the coil are listed as the asd circuit. What else makes up the asd relay? The wire going from the fuse block under the hood lead to what appears to be the firewall however I have not unraveled that mess yet. Thats a job for tomorrow. Any advice or leads guys? Where do I look next. What else could it be? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 03-10-2008, 07:38 PM
95to96transplantneon
Record Breaker

are you throwing any codes if so what???

whats the resistance on the two outside wires of the coil pack plug... ie... car off ground to head positive ot one outside wire... are they different between the two...

have you tested the coil itself???

Old 03-10-2008, 08:29 PM
unclebuck13

I will have to test the resistance tomorrow. I am not throwing any codes thats why i think its the asd relay circuit. I am not getting spark to the coil so it doesnt really matter if the coil is good or bad at this point, since there is no power going to the plug on it. I was thinking after my last post that I tested all these circuits from the pcm to the sensors and also to the 2 plugs that go into the other wiring harness. So really I have only tested one half of the entire circuit. Does that make sense?

Really I need to know what all is in the ASD circuit. Some posts say the o2 sensors, fuel pump, sensors. Some posts dont say that at all. There is a green and I believe white that goes from the fuse block back towards the fire wall so I might have to start looking back that way.

Old 03-10-2008, 11:08 PM
unclebuck13

So the fuse #21 a 20 amp fuse for the fuel pump is in the asd circuit right. Why would that have power but the rest of the circuit doesn't. You can hear the fuel pump activate. Any thoughts on that?

Since I cant do anything but sit here and think about it.....

I wish my garage didnt have 3 feet of ice and snow in front of it where I could get the car inside and still work on it. With a little warmth also. I think next winter I will have to make sure that the driveway gets cleared all the way to the garage.

Old 03-10-2008, 11:55 PM
jfink
Veteran

check this out just found it. something different to try
go to n e o n s .org(just no spaces and check out http://forums. neons .org/viewtopic.php?t=308676&highlight=spark(again no spaces,stupid website.)

Old 03-11-2008, 08:42 AM
unclebuck13

I think I am going to bite the bullet and put it all back together and send it over to the shop. I cant have this car sitting down for much longer. I need to have transportation and at the end of my mechanical knowledge.

Old 03-11-2008, 11:33 AM
unclebuck13

I understand that it is more than likely the asd relay circuit. However I also read on this forum and another that there are people that have been chasing this down for months. I dont have months. I need to have transportation to work. My options are starting to get really limeted.

How many hours do you think this would add up to in a garage. Basically what do you think it would cost to fix this in a garage.

The car has been nothing but reliable. I have had it since new in 97 and have never done anything but change the oil and add gas. the car is in great shape and all but isnt worth investing 1500 into garage charges on top of the 250 i just put in changing all the sensors.

So any thoughts on what it would cost me taking it to a garage or even a dealership?f

Old 03-12-2008, 08:12 AM
unclebuck13

I Decided to take the day off of work and give this one more go today. I am going to go through every wire that is in this circuit. If I still cannot find the problem then I am going to have to have someone come and get it.

Wish me luck!

Quick Reply: 98 neon not getting spark