1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

2.0 dohc swap!?!

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 12:49 PM
Slashwannabe
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 2.0 dohc swap!?!

ORIGINAL: spudsterier

if the sohc is "king" under 6,000rpm's then why is it that with my old stock r/t with sohc tranny, i could still waste stock sohc's?????
Yeah well like you guys always say "that person didn't know how to drive".I waxed so many fkn DOHC cars I willhave to start posting videos. When I was stockI smoked a DOHCAvenger ten fold enough where he had to start making excuses, not to mention I hadatoolbox, 2 turbos 2 exhaustmanifolds and my home made manifold with me weighing my car up to 3200 with all that **** in there.

Wait a minute how to you have a stock R/T with SOHC gears?not important I guess....

The fkn gear ratios and dyno's prove the real story. The DOHC that had 3 hp more than the SOHC, the DOHCwas evenpacking a cold air intake and under drive pully and only was ahead of the stockSOHC by 3 hp. LOL

When these motors are that close in power the driver certainly makes the difference. Spud I'd put my money that your a better driver than 80% of the people you race so get a good SOHC driver with a DOHC mtx and lets see how you fair.

Besides in mild street/stock who revs their fkn engines up to 6,500-7000 Rpmin everyday driving? The Sohc has power where people need it the DOHC you need to rev the **** out of to make it do anything. The fastest 8 second Neons are running turbos including the DOHC so who gives a flying fk how much potential the DOHC has, it has the potential to be 2 tenths faster than a sohc big fkn deal you can make up 2 tenths just running different times of the day.

Everybody admits the DOHC ATX is slower than a SOHC ATX, SOHC with DOHC gears pwn yer DOHC with the same gears!

Das why you saying Bingo? You don't own a DOHC in a working Neonto know the difference.

Old 03-11-2008, 02:30 PM
12 volt
Record Breaker

unless you plan on putting a turbo on your car, it would be a waste of time and money to throw a dohc head on your sohc block...
thats correct

it be safe to say that going withDOHC pistons with a SOHC head would be a good idea?
also correct

who revs their engines up to 6,500-7000 Rpmin everyday driving?
i do

Old 03-11-2008, 06:41 PM
Captansavaho
Captain

ORIGINAL: Slashwannabe

if the sohc is "king" under 6,000rpm's then why is it that with my old stock r/t with sohc tranny, i could still waste stock sohc's?????
Yeah well like you guys always say "that person didn't know how to drive".I waxed so many fkn DOHC cars I willhave to start posting videos. When I was stockI smoked a DOHCAvenger ten fold enough where he had to start making excuses, not to mention I hadatoolbox, 2 turbos 2 exhaustmanifolds and my home made manifold with me weighing my car up to 3200 with all that **** in there.

Wait a minute how to you have a stock R/T with SOHC gears?not important I guess....

The fkn gear ratios and dyno's prove the real story. The DOHC that had 3 hp more than the SOHC, the DOHCwas evenpacking a cold air intake and under drive pully and only was ahead of the stockSOHC by 3 hp. LOL

When these motors are that close in power the driver certainly makes the difference. Spud I'd put my money that your a better driver than 80% of the people you race so get a good SOHC driver with a DOHC mtx and lets see how you fair.

Besides in mild street/stock who revs their fkn engines up to 6,500-7000 Rpmin everyday driving? The Sohc has power where people need it the DOHC you need to rev the **** out of to make it do anything. The fastest 8 second Neons are running turbos including the DOHC so who gives a flying fk how much potential the DOHC has, it has the potential to be 2 tenths faster than a sohc big fkn deal you can make up 2 tenths just running different times of the day.

Everybody admits the DOHC ATX is slower than a SOHC ATX, SOHC with DOHC gears pwn yer DOHC with the same gears!

Das why you saying Bingo? You don't own a DOHC in a working Neonto know the difference.

ALRIGHT IM CALLING BS ON THIS! there is no way an sohc atx is beating all these DOHC's i got a sohc 2.0 atx and off the line its slow as *****. so stock for stock a DOHC>SOHC.........and stick will beat an atx everytime as far as a neon. my friend has a dohc mtx and i got minor upgrades and he will beat me everytime. and you cant say its driving error. almost positive there is no driving error in an atx. which mine is in perfect working order. sure turbo the cars and its different story. but stock for stock na. what your saying as the SOHC being superior under 6000 rpm. car is slow from 1000rpms basically to 3500rpm so you got 2500 rpms to work with. so yeah just doesnt make sense

Old 03-11-2008, 07:10 PM
95to96transplantneon
Record Breaker

am i the only one thats getting tired of hearing all this**** over and over again????
delightfully annoyed

Old 03-12-2008, 04:55 AM
Slashwannabe

ORIGINAL: Captansavaho

ALRIGHT IM CALLING BS ON THIS! there is no way an sohc atx is beating all these DOHC's i got a sohc 2.0 atx and off the line its slow as *****. so stock for stock a DOHC>SOHC.........and stick will beat an atx everytime as far as a neon. my friend has a dohc mtx and i got minor upgrades and he will beat me everytime. and you cant say its driving error. almost positive there is no driving error in an atx. which mine is in perfect working order. sure turbo the cars and its different story. but stock for stock na. what your saying as the SOHC being superior under 6000 rpm. car is slow from 1000rpms basically to 3500rpm so you got 2500 rpms to work with. so yeah just doesnt make sense
Did I say a SOHC ATX could beat a DOHC MTX? NO The gearing is too much! Quote one part of my sentance where I said a ATX could beat a MTX? First of all in a MTX you have the 12% loss comapred to the 18% loss of an automatic so you have more power plus you have 2 more gears to go through than the ATX does.Shut your fkn mouth until after you comprehend what somebody wrote.

My ATX SOHC instock form could burn out with 7ft marks, especially with the stock185s, Minecan eat stockCavaliers,Grand Ams, and eatDOHC ATX Avengers like nothing! So YOU DO HAVE SOMETHING WRONG IF YOUR SOHC IS SLOW OFF THE LINE, RIDE IN MINE AND YOU WILL CHANGE YOUR MIND. Even with the longer SOHC gears mine does damn good off the line compared to 70% of the cars in its class that I raced.

SOHC do make more under 6,000 Rpm than DOHC engines... look it up! do your own research and prove me wrong, you say i'm wrong but thats only you saying I'm wrong prove me wrong.

What I'm saying and what you ignored and wrote a post about something elsethat wasn't even written in here was that DOHC equiped carshave better gearing, a person will get better power from DOHC gears rather than the piece of **** DOHC head. If you don't believe me then you should be comented on cars if you don't believe shorter gears give you more off the line power.

I mean come on a SOHC ATX can wind up to 6,000 Rpm in first gear and do 60mph, a ATX DOHC does 45mph in first gear. Tell me you don't see why the SOHC would be lacking in accelleration?

The DOHC was so good they replaced the piece of **** for the 2000 Model year+ because it was a useless option the SOHC was better.

All of you DOHC lovers say I'm wrong but you never provide any proof but your opinion. I've backedmyclaims with rock solid proof about why the DOHC is faster is only because of an illusion- Dynos and the Gearing charts prove the SOHC Engine isn't as helpless as you ignorant DOHC loversthink it is.

I mean that is so fkn cruel to toxic up somebodys mind who owns a SOHC and make them spend 1,000s of dollars swapping a DOHC head or DOHC engine just to be in the same fkn boat they were with their SOHC. The average person on this forum will never see the end of the potential the SOHC and DOHC have so whats wrong with telling a person build what you got!

If somebody can show me a stock for stockMTX SOHC Dyno and a MTX DOHC Dyno that says different about the wheel Horsepower ratings within the realmthat I provided Iwill stop with the SOHC vs DOHCdrama on this forum forever!.

PROVE ME WRONG!Thats all I ask!Until somebody can prove me wrong that theres more than a 8hp difference over 6,000 Rpmbetween the DOHC and SOHC I wont stop.

Old 03-12-2008, 06:08 AM
Ghost Neon 2
Record Breaker

unless you plan on putting a turbo on your car, it would be a waste of time and money to throw a dohc head on your sohc block...
False. I have a dohc head mated to a block with sohc pistons. Was not the original intention, belt a snapped timing belt forced me to do something fast. With an iceman atx tb, af/x pulley, mopar pcm and ebay s/s header I pulled a 1/2 a car racing a modded turbo eclipse. From a 40mph roll and from a dig.

1. If I can beat a boosted dohc car, what do you think would happen to a boosted sohc car?

2. This gives an example that loosing .4 compression is not the big power loss it is claimed to be. No more than claiming "I bumped my compression .4 and now my car feels BAD A$$!"

Here's a more realistic request. Find a four cylinder sohc drag car that is putting better numbers (power and times) than a dohc.
A sohc, in the end, will not make the same power as a dohc. It will reach its peak both n/a and boosted. The dohc flows more and and can use larger cams. It just wasn't meant to be.

Old 03-12-2008, 07:23 AM
Slashwannabe

ORIGINAL: Ghost Neon 2

1. If I can beat a boosted dohc car, what do you think would happen to a boosted sohc car?
My ***,

Dude Your DOHC with your mods is lucky to do 160hp with the mods you have talked about. a Boosted SOHC running 8psi like mine would eat you alive, SOHC's running 8psi run 200hp+ so be my guest I'll even race you for titles and your 40mph roll or off the line however you prefer. I live in Wausau Wisconsin and your welcome to come up and give it a go. WhenI win your car I'm putting a SOHC head on it.

Nobody can show me a flow bench of a SOHC vs a DOHC, 95-96transplant did but it wasn't a real world test it was just synthetic results from his "program" would be about as good and generic of proofas desktop dyno.

Blah blah blah DOHC have better cams.... Thats why they make adjustable tappets for the SOHC so you can get a bigger cam and run it on a small based set up and get abigger lift than you normally would.

I don't care about potential as anyone with money can make any motor as fast as they want, both these fkn engines are within 5hp from eachotherstock for stock and did we mention the DOHC got a hotter set up pcm than the SOHC got? We wont even get into that. Its beyond most peoples realm here.

Don't talk to me about money either cuz if most of us had money we wouldn't be building Neon 4 bangers up. I'd be building my 331 Hemi up which I know for a fact flows more than the SOHC and DOHC combined with its ports the size of pop cans.

Old 03-12-2008, 10:41 AM
das2123
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tranny swap is simple to do.

The only dyno comparison that I have seen is stock vs stock and is the one I post everynow and then. If you have a different one, I'd really like to see it.

Because spud is right on. If you go to a track and watch people who really know what they are doing race a SOHC vs DOHC, the DOHC wins. It is quicker at at the track where it counts. I have owned a SOHC MTX and an DOHC MTX. The DOHC is just flat out quicker. I could care less about the HP difference.

Old 03-12-2008, 12:28 PM
Captansavaho
Captain

both these fkn engines are within 5hp from eachotherstock for stock

2nd das on this one. even you have said it the DOHC is quicker by what 2 tenths of a second on the drag. well there is your diff. right there and im almost positive no one has said the SOHC was **** just the DOHC is quicker where it matters? unless im missing what this post got turned into.... but Listen to Spud he is right about the heads

Old 03-12-2008, 02:08 PM
Slashwannabe

ORIGINAL: das2123

The only dyno comparison that I have seen is stock vs stock and is the one I post everynow and then. If you have a different one, I'd really like to see it.

Yep I sure do have one here ya go http://www.allpar.com/neon/images/allowen.gifthe blue line is the baseline run of this guys DOHC engine which is 113hp, the other numbers are the guys upgrades which are listed on the main page. I've seen 110hp on average withSOHC Automatics. Yes I'm talking wheel horsepower. The DOHC has a better muffler from the factory so 3hp with a better muffler plus its an ACR meaning its a 5 speed.Doesn't make the DOHC look all that special to me you must admit based off of these results.

This is a very informative article on both the DOHC and SOHCand the above link is pasted here in context: http://www.allpar.com/neon/performance.html

I trust AllPar.com they have been researching mopars for a very long time and get the exclusives with Chrysler Engineers!

Seriously I doubt therearemany if anySOHC cars running DOHC transmissions to do race against, The mind set that the DOHC is that much better than the SOHC is really unfortunate because it doesn't encourage building the SOHC engine at all when it is a really good engine.

If I can't get any of you bullheaded DOHC flag wavers to say the SOHC is just as fast as the DOHC given the same gears as a stock DOHC motor will you at least admit that any set ofDOHC gears arean improvmentof performance over stock SOHC gears?

DOHC got everything they needed from the factory to be fast, thehigh flow muffler the more aggressive PCM and the shortergears and most importantly the reputation so its no wonder it does a better quarter mile time, I'm just saying that you can almost repeat those results with a high flow muffler and DOHC gears on a SOHC.I'm saying that even if the DOHC might be a little quicker on the top endthe SOHC goes step for step with it on almost every mod.

None of the DOHC's performance advantage was really neverdue to the cylinder head design itself on near stock vehicles, its only slight and certainly in the margin of error, from ALL the things I've ever read about the DOHC and SOHC motors. The SOHC truely has gotten the bad end of the short stick.

I truely believe the placebo effect of swapping a SOHC in favor of the DOHC, You believe the DOHC is more powerfull and when you swap you think you are faster, very simular to throwing a electric supercharger on that 1-2psi it puts out makes you feel faster when your really not.

Tell me I'm still crazy after checking out those links!

Quick Reply: 2.0 dohc swap!?!