1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

2.0 dohc swap!?!

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 01:56 AM
Slashwannabe
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 2.0 dohc swap!?!

SO far the only ones who are sayin the DOHC is better are the ones who own DOHC cars, little bias. I own both and My SOHC is my baby

Old 03-16-2008, 02:04 AM
fsu182
Captain

better and making more power are two different things. i just want to clarify thatim not saying a dohc engine is better. its all in what you like and what you like to do with it. if i had a choice out of any first gen neon id take mine. no matter what it was. because its mine and it has my time, work, and money put into it. even if it was a crappy SOHC. JK!!!!!! lol. the point is how much time do you have cuz this go on foooooooooooooooorever.

Old 03-16-2008, 10:38 AM
spudsterier
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: fsu182

which one is better? thats like askng whats better a milky way or a hershey bar? who cares its candy! everyones gonna think differently.
but i dont like chocolate

im not biased on sohc-dohc subject.....my 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 5th neons were sohc's...but after i got my 1st dohc, i decided that i was never gonna buy another sohc....10 neons later, and i still havent had one....they have all been dohc's...
if i am looking for another neon and find a cheap sohc, i either pass it up or get it and sell it...then find a dohc...
thats just my preference and thats all it is...

the biggest differences between the sohc and dohc heads is the port size...dohc exhaust ports are almost 3x the size of a sohc....larger ports = better air flow= more power

Old 03-16-2008, 11:37 AM
Slashwannabe

ORIGINAL: spudsterier

the biggest differences between the sohc and dohc heads is the port size...dohc exhaust ports are almost 3x the size of a sohc....larger ports = better air flow= more power
Yeah but its still runningthe samepussy throttlebody the SOHC does, so it doesn't make much difference, its only going to flow what the trottlebodydoesn't restrict, so if your using the stock ThrottleBody with aNon boosted motorI wouldn't brag about having bigger ports, unless you have other mods to support those. With 3 wheel HP difference there are many variables that go into that other than port size.

Perfect example,My brothers cavalier 2.2 has a throttlebody like 1/3rd bigger thanthe Neon's, but his exhaust pipe is like a inch and a half wide MAXso it doesn't make any difference cuz its exhaust is choking his motor off.

My main point is that even if the DOHC has a small advantage when built up, stock for stock there is just no reason to swap a DOHC engine in or out, I'd say this even if the SOHC had the reputation the DOHC has, that small difference in power doesn't warrent spending $1,000 on a motor then the time and laborto swap if you are going to keep both Engines stock.

Unless you plan to go low8 second in the quarter mile why the fk would you need a DOHC? Thats the only place your going to see an advantage, there areSOHC high8 second performers as well, so unless you plan on doing low 8s then don't talk to me about the DOHC being Superior. The only 8 second DOHC Engine is a 2.4 I might add too.A high 8 second SOHC is still a 2.0. Food for thought? If anybody has any info regaurding these drag times please don't hesitate to post the stats.

I admit if your going for max output the DOHC has the SOHC I don't think I've ever questioned the DOHC not having more max output than the SOHC, butin near stock form the Engines are near equals and unless your dumping $10,000 and plan to go 8 secondsI wouldn't recomend a person swapping whatever motor they have in their Neon.

Old 03-16-2008, 04:28 PM
fsu182
Captain

ORIGINAL: Slashwannabe

Yeah but its still runningthe samepussy throttlebody the SOHC does, so it doesn't make much difference

but we aren't talkng two neons with each engine. were talking about two engines by themselves. you make a solid point in that your money is better spent on performance parts for your engine rather than a swap between the 2.0's. but at the end of the day no matter how "close" you argue the two engines are. the DOHC makes more power. thats it. thats all. its still more. it always will be. its more more desired and it has a better reputation. even if it was built on conspiracy lies from the dohc cult. i look at a car with a flat hood and i feel superior. its just how it is. for anyone who knows their stuff, really knows it - it won't matter. you can make some decent power with either for around the same cost.

Old 03-16-2008, 05:02 PM
Slashwannabe

ORIGINAL: fsu182

you can make some decent power with either for around the same cost.
Thats the point I'm trying to make, the Average teenager isn't doing 8 second quarter miles so I think its unfair to tell him to swap to a DOHC when he only wants 30-50hp more and I think its managable on both Engines fairly easy withouit getting too much into either engine.

I totally would agree with everyone on the DOHC overSOHCthing except the Neon SOHC is unlike many SOHC engines because it has 4 valves and not 2 like the old Chrysler 2.2's and many other engines. Also I think many people who race DOHC Engines do not take advantage of their nice flowing heads, they still use restrictive Throttlebodys and exhaust and you name it and then they say they have a better flowing motor. I have ridden in some hellacious SOHC cars and pretty fast DOHC cars and I think that either Engine is limited by a persons budget and imagination.

You also got to admit with people always recomending the DOHC swap all the time it discourages any advancment of performance inSOHC Engines, due to people writing this motor off. I guess what I would like to see is a fair shake on both Engines

I guess all I'm saying is, don't under estimate a SOHC in a RaceWhen my car was near stock with a few mods I impressed a few DOHC guys and made them at least respect what a SOHC could do. Infact I made a friend out of a guy I raced in a DOHC Automatic Avenger when I beat him by a car length in a street race up to 80mph which was probably the first andonly time I went that fast through the City. That was probably one of the best races I've ever done just because it was a challenge and it was at least a 1/4 mile of racing from the line up to around 80mph and also the fact we didn't get pulled over for drag racingright in the heart of downtown was a rush, the sound of our loud exhaust echo'ed across the 10 story buildings (it was 2am so just us 2 were on that section through downtown).

I respect both Engines.

Old 03-16-2008, 10:48 PM
spudsterier
Legend

Yeah but its still runningthe samepussy throttlebody the SOHC does, so it doesn't make much difference, its only going to flow what the trottlebodydoesn't restrict, so if your using the stock ThrottleBody with aNon boosted motorI wouldn't brag about having bigger ports, unless you have other mods to support those. With 3 wheel HP difference there are many variables that go into that other than port size.
but if there is a conspiracy then maybe the same throttle body on a sohc would be considered overkill.....
sure it takes in the same amount of air, but the output is easier.....just like the differences between a long tube header and a short tube header.......
if your looking at it that way, would that mean that the auto neons have better performance then the manual tranny neons since the throttle body is larger????

Unless you plan to go low8 second in the quarter mile why the fk would you need a DOHC? Thats the only place your going to see an advantage
not exactly.....
with dirt track racing, autocross racing, and basically any other type of racing, you would be able to drastically notice the differences between the sohc and sohc since the dohc's power band is so much wider......any time higher rpms are used moreoften, the dohc is superior

Old 03-17-2008, 02:24 AM
Ghost Neon 2
Record Breaker

Post your track time against a dohc with the same work, and then report back to us. DONE [/verizon commercial]

Old 03-17-2008, 10:02 AM
Slashwannabe

but if there is a conspiracy then maybe the same throttle body on a sohc would be considered overkill.....
sure it takes in the same amount of air, but the output is easier.....just like the differences between a long tube header and a short tube header.......
if your looking at it that way, would that mean that the auto neons have better performance then the manual tranny neons since the throttle body is larger????

Unless you plan to go low8 second in the quarter mile why the fk would you need a DOHC? Thats the only place your going to see an advantage
not exactly.....
with dirt track racing, autocross racing, and basically any other type of racing, you would be able to drastically notice the differences between the sohc and sohc since the dohc's power band is so much wider......any time higher rpms are used moreoften, the dohc is superior
Spud Spud Spud....

Have you yet to look at a Graph of either the SOHC or DOHC Dyno? The sohc curve is much fatter, the DOHC is more flat and shifted up to 6,500 RPM which it barely likes to do in stock form... at least mine does.

A SOHC Automatic with the 52mm throttle body makes more power than a 48mm equiped one, but it needs that power to combat the losses from the Automatic Drivetrain. I must remind you that the fastest Neons in the world are using Automatics because lets face it the Neon manual is not that tough of a tranny once you got over 250hp and a slow shifting driver, Which is why I get pissed when people recommend MTX trannys to teenagers who can barely shift their automatic then we expect that same noob to go shift a modified Neon and not break something?. I do remember seeing pictures of a First gear out of a MTX that wasmissing half its teeth on one of our members profiles.

If you guysraced stock for sock aSOHC and wonwith your DOHCchances are you raced an Automatic or a retarded paraplegic in a MTX SOHC car.

If the SOHC doesn't have that wide of a powerband how come it wipes aAutomatic DOHC in SOHC ATX form? Ifthe DOHC is Godlike why can't it beat any of the SOHC cars? I guess maybe its because that race is too close to call. If the DOHC advantage is that fkn great why can't it beat a SOHC ATX while itself is using a ATX withlower gears so it gets into power band faster? I guess none of you have that Answer because you just prefer to say "DOHC is Faster" with no thought as to what come with saying that, show some fkn proof beyond what somebody else "told" you for cryin out loud.

I have posted the writing on the wall with the Gear ratios,the Chassis Dynos and factory reports and yet people are still ignorant to those facts and don't cut any leeway to the SOHC at all. The SOHC has longer gears it doesn't need to hang out at 6500 Rpm to get the same power.

I don't give a dead mooses last **** what RPM your motor tops out at, with the correct gear ratios it don't matter what RPM's either car can run.

Lets stop comparing the 95-99 SOHC and lets compare the Magnum SOHC to the DOHC, would you still like your race chances against the Magnum in a first gen Neon? 150hp against 150hp.

Old 03-17-2008, 10:09 AM
spudsterier
Legend

the magnum would be a much better race that the wimpy regular sohc....

there is no getting through to you on this....the dohc is just a more powerful motor...its that simple...

what are the torque differences????

in my personal opinion, sohc's just suck....the only thing i like more about the sohc is that its easies to do head work on....otherwise, thats it...

i have never lost a race against any sohc...even in stock form....

Quick Reply: 2.0 dohc swap!?!