2.0 dohc swap!?!

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 08:37 AM
Ghost Neon 2
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 2.0 dohc swap!?!

ORIGINAL: Slashwannabe

DOHC's are more expensive to build, Cams are 2x the SOHC cost cuz theres an extra cam you need to buy so instead of a $250 SOHC cam your buying $500 worth of 2 DOHC cams. You ask me the $250 balance could be spent on a Turbo and manifold or a good down payment on other mods that make more power than the DOHC High output cams will give you. But thats just me, I'm just a Guitar player what do I know?

Don't let the $250 balance fool you, its alot of money to people like me.
I see what you are saying, but if you cannot aford better parts that does not make everything expensive. Let's take a rundown of everything my car has performance related:

Iceman intake - $8
atx 52mm tb - free
af/x pulley - $40
ebay header - $85
dohc mopar pcm - free
B&M sts - $40
Booger bushings - free
dohc muffler - $5
dohc head & cams - $70
AEM cam gears - $40
eibach sporlines - $20
koni front struts - $40
19mm rear sway - $12
03 r/t mtx $80

$450 spent over a year. This is why I laugh at the "dohc" are more expensive. You do not have to buy the biggest cams known to man. You do not have to buy them at all. It certainly helps, but is not a requirement. Len went 600+ on stock dohc head and cams, something a sohc has yet to accomplish. I have made your argument for a long time Slash since back in 2000, and it was misinformation. I have raced several dohc neons with a sohc. Beat a few. Danny's neons running 14.2 put a 4-5 cars on me, but my sohc neon was barely modded. When I insinuated my neon could take yours, I meant it. Not by 15 cars, but by a bit. Of course I could be wrong, but I'd be more worried if that was a garrett T03B. Even in stock form, it pulls much harder than the mitsu. Boost rolling in around 1800-2100 is hardly lag. My daytona ran that way, as did my buddies 88Z. Bare in mind the 2.5L puts are more torque (n/a or boosted) than about any other 4cyl Dodge made. Of course it "feels" faster. Still have no top end though.

Old 03-19-2008, 09:41 AM
Slashwannabe

ORIGINAL: Ghost Neon 2
Beat a few. Danny's neons running 14.2 put a 4-5 cars on me, but my sohc neon was barely modded. When I insinuated my neon could take yours, I meant it. Not by 15 cars, but by a bit. Of course I could be wrong, but I'd be more worried if that was a garrett T03B. Even in stock form, it pulls much harder than the mitsu. Boost rolling in around 1800-2100 is hardly lag. My daytona ran that way, as did my buddies 88Z. Bare in mind the 2.5L puts are more torque (n/a or boosted) than about any other 4cyl Dodge made. Of course it "feels" faster. Still have no top end though.
First off me and my family have owned more TurboK-Cars than you ever knew existed

The 2.5 Turbo will wax the fk out of a 2.2 in stock for stock form. 150hp and 210ft lbs of Torque 2.5vs the 2.2s 140hp and 180ft lbs of Torque. My Mitsubishi TE04H starts spooling the moment you even think about touching the gas let alone getting into the drivers seat, and you can't debate that because its a small fkn turbo its compressor wheel is like 2/3s the size of the Garrett andif this thing can't spool faster than a Garrett with having less than half the compressor size theres a huge problem. I've always said a Garrett Turbo can produce up to 28-30psi and in some cases 33psi was the highest I've heard. Why the f u ck would I care if a Garrett can go up to 28+ psi when by the time I wouldhit 16psi consistantly with my mitsu turbomy stockSOHC rods are gonna shoot out of the block? I also wouldn't say the 2.5 had no top end, it was the first Chrysler K-Car me and my brother got up to 120mph in, it didn't think twice about getting up to 120mph from 65mph and it did it fkn fast too.

I'm sorry I can't allow you to say a Garrett spools as fast a Mitsubishi Turbo, spooling extremlyfast ishow the mitsu turbo got itsreputation and replaced the Garrett in 89-93 Turbo cars. In the long runthe Garrett T03is the better choicebut only if you have mods on your motor to support 20+ psi.

The Mitsubishi Turbo up to 20psi is gonna blow your mind theres no lag you don't even know theres a turbo on the car except you hear a whistleing noise.

It maxes out around 19psi andI've personally had mine up to 16psi but it was an accident and only lasted a brief second once I realised the boost gauge said 16psi I instanty let off and then prayed to God I didn't blow my motor off a freak accident. The TE04 sucks becasue it doesn't go up past 19-20psi but under that it is leaps and bounds faster on spooling than a Garrett. Its not even the fact that either company fkd up on design because they didn't its just a matter of what you plan to do as far as making power with your car, both are great Turbos and are the only thing I'd consider putting on my Neon due to the reputation and durability.

The Garrett is known for reallysmooth power and the mitsu is just crazy up to 19psi.

As for the DOHC being more expensive to build... yes it is just because your buying 2 cams instead of 1 $250 difference, and it doesn't matter what grind of cams your buying Crane Camsis pretty much all the same price. I doubt you'll get 2 DOHC cams for the price of 1 SOHC cam, And also if you want to be able to adjust the cams on your DOHC you'll need the $100 timing gears, which is pointless for most of the people on this forum seeing none of them probably know how to time a motor or use Megasquirt to get full advantage out of it. Other thanbuyingan extra cam andadjustable timinggearsfor the DOHC, the motors are basically pretty much the same to build up.

You got a Mopar DOHC PCM for free? well why not post what most people can get it for? which is $200. You know I say I got my turbo set up for $150 but I don't go around telling other people they are going to get it for $150, all the time you see me recomending the $500 Ebay kit cuz its a compiled price of the parts and is a very good price and a price for which the stuff goes normally. I was very lucky getting my parts for cheap and if I didn't get them at near 5 fingered rates from Rice guys who are getting into drifting Civics then I would have bought the $500 Kit that appears every now and then on Ebay.

Your build as well as my turbo build are the exceptions to the rule but at the same time I don't go tellingeverybody they can get a Turbo set up with everything there is to complete it for $150, I recomend stuff thats in the normal price range. Everybody would have a Turbo if they gathered parts as easily and had as much luck as me but thats not going to happen for everybody.

Old 03-20-2008, 12:23 AM
fsu182
Captain

so it looks like its the entire forum vs slash. why no other SOHC owners backing him up? maybe because he happened to end up with that motor and happened to end up with a cheap turbo and its the only real reason hes making the argument. look man, u can type till ur hands fall off about spool times and numbers and w/e. but its going to take physical evidence for anything to ever hold up or for things to change. mostly because most ppl dont think that evidence is there. right now its DOHC > SOHC for most ppl. telling ppl how many k cars you'v owned really isn't the way to go to get ppl to think ur credible. it is unarguable, however, that cams are cheaper when you are only buying 1. $250 is a good bit of money when it comes to neon performance parts.

Old 03-20-2008, 01:01 AM
spudsterier
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i bought a set of crane #14's for $212 off of ebay...and had a line on a set of crane #18's for $250, but didnt have the money in time
it doesnt matter what the parts cost new, its what you can get them for

Old 03-20-2008, 01:05 AM
Ghost Neon 2
Record Breaker

Track / dyno times from a claimed 13sec sohc would be cool. Again. Not saying his car is not what he says, but bench racing gets old fast. There is a 12 sec n/a sohc on the other boards. Nuff said. Takes more money, but you have to pay to play. Saying you cannot afford to go faster, slides right in with the other ricer excuses. If your wallet is so tight, then you should consider a cheaper hobby, like knitting.

$EDIT* scored a $240 s/s thermal muffler for $7 at the yard. [sm=bling.gif]

Old 03-20-2008, 01:17 AM
95to96transplantneon
Record Breaker

ghost is that jeff's car or mookinators car???

Old 03-20-2008, 09:32 PM
Ghost Neon 2
Record Breaker

Jeff has a n/a dohc 2.4L. Believe Mook also has a dohc. I was talking about catapeed.

You know Slash, I'd really like to take a ride in your neon. Never been in a turbo sohc. There is one not even 30 minutes from me. I should hit him up for a lil race. he has more mods though.

Old 03-20-2008, 09:43 PM
I_Ride_Neon
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: fsu182

so it looks like its the entire forum vs slash. why no other SOHC owners backing him up? maybe because he happened to end up with that motor and happened to end up with a cheap turbo and its the only real reason hes making the argument. look man, u can type till ur hands fall off about spool times and numbers and w/e. but its going to take physical evidence for anything to ever hold up or for things to change. mostly because most ppl dont think that evidence is there. right now its DOHC > SOHC for most ppl. telling ppl how many k cars you'v owned really isn't the way to go to get ppl to think ur credible. it is unarguable, however, that cams are cheaper when you are only buying 1. $250 is a good bit of money when it comes to neon performance parts.

Sohc is the best. I would never change it to dohc. I never been beat by a dohc neon. The parts are harder to find for a dohc also. Only reason I would ever go dohc would be just a cheap way to lower my compression. But I would rather own a sohc any day of the week. I like slash and I think he was creative. Who cares if his car is a sohc. We know they are better anyways. But it doesnt matter. Its a neon. Its a sohc with neon with an extra cam. Also means extra parts to break. GO SOHC! PS: the garrett does spool slow. spools to 8 pounds around 3k or so.

Old 03-20-2008, 11:11 PM
Ghost Neon 2
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: I_Ride_Neon

PS: the garrett does spool slow. spools to 8 pounds around 3k or so.
What garret are you referring to? My 86 daytona Z started spooling around 1800-2000rpms. Perhaps my daytona was special.

Old 03-20-2008, 11:28 PM
I_Ride_Neon
Record Breaker

Slash. Check this out. Are they talking about you? http://www.turbododge.com/forums/f1/...-low-13-s.html trying to say ur getting 150 with no intercooler? I dunno about the turbo. Its a t3 I assume.

Quick Reply: 2.0 dohc swap!?!