1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

2.0 dohc swap!?!

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 10:13 AM
Slashwannabe
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 2.0 dohc swap!?!

ORIGINAL: spudsterier

the magnum would be a much better race that the wimpy regular sohc....

there is no getting through to you on this....the dohc is just a more powerful motor...its that simple...

what are the torque differences????

in my personal opinion, sohc's just suck....the only thing i like more about the sohc is that its easies to do head work on....otherwise, thats it...

i have never lost a race against any sohc...even in stock form....
How about your Turbo DOHC vs my Turbo SOHC? I go through Mendota every August, in fact My parents van almost got blown off the road by a Tornado or huge fkn stormthereon the Lincoln Memorial bridge just out of Mendota back in 1997. Usually the 360 in the van runs out of its fuel range by Mendota so we stop at the Shell station just off the highway....lol

That would be interesting My TE04 spools faster than your SRT-4 Turbo but you havea MTX. But the long drawn out gears in the ATX allow me to stay under boost longer. Would be a great race.

Old 03-17-2008, 10:23 AM
spudsterier
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thats even funnier then you know....

so your telling me that your TE04 would spool faster then my TD04???
i highly doubt that...have you ever ridden in a neon running the srt4 turbo???? the damn little thing starts building boost at 2100rpm's and doesnt stop....

i absolutely gaurantee you that my car would have totally beat the **** out of your car....there is no possibly way that it wouldnt of....

aparently you havent been paying much attention though, since i sold all my turbo stuff a few monthes ago...
all the car has now is a shorty header, high flow cat, stock muffler, crane #14 cams, ported head and intake, megan udp, cai, bored .020 over with HP pistons, and a short throw shifter...

though i wish i still had the turbo...i would have driven all the way up there to see you with your tail between you legs after a horrible beating

Old 03-17-2008, 10:29 AM
Slashwannabe

i highly doubt that...have you ever ridden in a neon running the srt4 turbo???? the damn little thing starts building boost at 2100rpm's and doesnt stop....

i absolutely gaurantee you that my car would have totally beat the **** out of your car....there is no possibly way that it wouldnt of....

aparently you havent been paying much attention though, since i sold all my turbo stuff a few monthes ago...
all the car has now is a shorty header, high flow cat, stock muffler, crane #14 cams, ported head and intake, megan udp, cai, bored .020 over with HP pistons, and a short throw shifter...

though i wish i still had the turbo...i would have driven all the way up there to see you with your tail between you legs after a horrible beating
My TE04 starts spooling at 1600 Rpm No BS I will cam it for you. I told you this fkr spools quick. I'm at 5psi by fkn 1600Rpm. You can even tell I'm not bs'in if you look at one of the other posts, I posted that it spools at 1600rpm before you said 2100 Rpm.

By 2100 Rpm I'd be at 12psi if I let it go uncapped. read my post about my motor almost becoming a Grenade It did a spike up to 15psi yesterday after I sealed my intake tube off.

Old 03-17-2008, 10:47 AM
Ghost Neon 2
Record Breaker

Yes finally some action. Charts, and dyno's mean little to nothing on the street/track. Any atx neon (sohc or dohc) gets the 52mm tb. It is just a more straight through tb. I am still using mine. Your comments that the dohc are so much more to modify are very outdated. I have spent maybe $250 in mods on my cars to get into mid-low 14's. A low 13sec-high 12sec car could be built for about $750. Parts are not as expensive as they were 10yrs ago. Your cost comments are inaccurate. Either car can be built well for very little. Picked up a t3-t4e 57trim for mtx, stock clutch and $100. Its max potential around 525hp would have made quite an improvement for my "crazy expensive" dohc. Cost comes into play when address cams really. My header is stainless steel and ran me $82 shipped new.

Enough bench racing. When are we going to get some real world results? Track times, or a vid of you racing a turb dohc, or you are bluffing.

Old 03-17-2008, 11:05 AM
Slashwannabe

ORIGINAL: Ghost Neon 2
Your comments that the dohc are so much more to modify are very outdated. I have spent maybe $250 in mods on my cars to get into mid-low 14's. A low 13sec-high 12sec car could be built for about $750.
If I had slicks I'd have a high 13 to mid 13 second car with my $150 Turbo set up Swap meets are great for cheap slicks so about $200 more I could have a crazy fast car.

DOHC's are more expensive to build, Cams are 2x the SOHC cost cuz theres an extra cam you need to buy so instead of a $250 SOHC cam your buying $500 worth of 2DOHC cams. You ask me the$250 balancecould be spent on a Turbo and manifold or a good down payment on other mods that make more power than the DOHC High output cams will give you. But thats just me, I'm just a Guitar player what doI know?

Don't let the $250 balance fool you, its alot of money to people like me.

Old 03-17-2008, 05:10 PM
spudsterier
Legend

ORIGINAL: Slashwannabe

My TE04 starts spooling at 1600 Rpm No BS I will cam it for you. I told you this fkr spools quick. I'm at 5psi by fkn 1600Rpm. You can even tell I'm not bs'in if you look at one of the other posts, I posted that it spools at 1600rpm before you said 2100 Rpm.

By 2100 Rpm I'd be at 12psi if I let it go uncapped. read my post about my motor almost becoming a Grenade It did a spike up to 15psi yesterday after I sealed my intake tube off.
i have no idea why i put 2100 rpms...must be this key board...
it was supposed to be 1100 rpms....

when i used the fully built motor, that little wimpy turbo got me to 18 pounds of boost by 1400 rpms....there was absolutly NO turbo lag and the boost would build quicker then the rpms would climb.....
i disconnected my wastegate actuator oneday and the boost gauge (25psi) pegged out....

2 people from this forum have seen my car with the fully built motor, but only 1 ever got a chance to ride in it....

find sumone with an srt4 turbo on a 1st gen and go for a ride......its nothing like riding in an srt4 since there isnt any vaccum selonoids and what nots

Old 03-17-2008, 07:07 PM
Slashwannabe

i have no idea why i put 2100 rpms...must be this key board...
it was supposed to be 1100 rpms....
Ya know the SRT-4 TD04 and the TE04 Turbo are pretty much the same turbo with different exhaust turbine set ups. TD04s were used on Mitsubishi VR-4s and Stealths back in the 90's. The TD04 has a slightlyheavier compressor turbine than the TE04. Few slight differences but simular turbos when one gets down to maps and what not.

I'm not gonna comment fully on my turbo spool time till I get the missing link on Wednesday cuz my car is kinda runnin like *** on the low end right now without a properboost blinder. I know mine doesn't take anytime to spool in good running order, ask anyone with a 2.5 Chrysler, they will say the TE04 is crazy fast spool time.

The problem with my Turbo which isn't really a problem for me, is that its onlycapable of 19psi max because of the small turbine and SRT-4 Turbos run into the same road block at the same psi. With an Automatic I need fast spool time, with a stock 2.0 SOHC running 7-8psiI'm not going to see the limits of my turbo.

Old 03-18-2008, 09:56 AM
spudsterier
Legend

i took my turbo to the limit only a few times.....
hell, even at 15 pounds of boost, you could do 60mph, slam it into 3rd gear, and spin the tires the whole time your passing sumone....

i think i may end up getting another srt-4 turbo for my car in a few monthes....depending on how money goes...i still have the map clamp, intercooler, downpipe, intercooler piping, and srt4 rear section.....

the TD04LR is the srt4 turbo andTD04H is the mitsubishi eclipse turbo...there are alot of different versions of the TD04

Old 03-18-2008, 11:13 AM
Slashwannabe

i took my turbo to the limit only a few times.....
hell, even at 15 pounds of boost, you could do 60mph, slam it into 3rd gear, and spin the tires the whole time your passing sumone....

i think i may end up getting another srt-4 turbo for my car in a few monthes....depending on how money goes...i still have the map clamp, intercooler, downpipe, intercooler piping, and srt4 rear section.....

the TD04LR is the srt4 turbo andTD04H is the mitsubishi eclipse turbo...there are alot of different versions of the TD04
Alot of people swear by the Garrett T03 and T3/T4 set ups because they can produce massive amounts of boost, the problem with those of course is the spool time, your looking at 2500 Rpm minimumbefore you know you have a Turbo on your car which is why the 2.2 cars me and my brother have owned never really felt as fast as his 2.5 Acclaim with the TE04H.

I love the fast spool TE04H, anytime you breath on the gas you can hear it wind up, I gota say I've driven performance cars and alot of times you can anticipate where there going to have power,but when I engaged the passing gear yesterday on the highway I wasn't ready for the massive amounts of acelleration that came, I floored it thinking I was going to have the gradual spool time I had with my old manifold, well the car just bucked forward massivly with no lag what so ever and I think I had a instant spike of10psi then it went down to 7 as I eased the gas,and it felt like I had a builtV8 under the hood and the car just hauled like I've never seen before. When you have a manifold that breaths well and a fast spooling turbo it can really make you question weather your dreaming or not, having that much power out of an economy car.

Spud I'd really like to see you get all your stuff back, theres an SRT-4 Turbo/manifoldon ebay right now for around$540.Your car is the car that helpinspired my Turbo build and I'd like to see yours complete.

Old 03-18-2008, 05:25 PM
spudsterier
Legend

ORIGINAL: Slashwannabe
Spud I'd really like to see you get all your stuff back, theres an SRT-4 Turbo/manifoldon ebay right now for around$540.Your car is the car that helpinspired my Turbo build and I'd like to see yours complete.
that price is insane.....is it just the turbo/manifold????

my 1st one came with: stock turbo/manifold, stock oil and coolant lines, 02 housing, WGA, and a mopar blow off valve...all for $200

you can easily find the turbo/manifold for under $150 if you know where to look

to get all the turbo stuff i need back it should only run about $500....so maybe sumtime this year i will be able to do it again.....after i buy my house though....

its fun driving my moms WRX since the turbo kicks in at about 2500rpm.....its fun just driving along and all of a sudden getting thrown back in the seat.....the car is an auto, but it shifts so fast that you dont even notice it at all...

Quick Reply: 2.0 dohc swap!?!