1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Drove my first dohc mtx today

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 07:04 PM
I_Ride_Neon
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drove my first dohc mtx today

Well it was my first time driving the dohc. I stalled it twice because it has no power to take off. And even at high rpms it seems slower then my stock sohc. It was pathetic. Atleast I got it out of my system. it was a 99 r/t. It would not be worth the swap at all.

Old 07-05-2008, 09:11 PM
fsu182
Captain
Default RE: Drove my first dohc mtx today

i still think every engine is too different to tell just by driving one - between how bad the factory has the timing and how the person takes care of the car. too many variables unless you'v driven them new off the lot to compare. even then theres undetermined crap but i think that'd be a close test. i drove a sohc and wondered if my foot was still on the floor after 3800 rpm. i thought literally thought i lifted by accident or the cable slipped or something - but nope. it was just the engine itself.

worth the swap? ive never imagined it would be. i hope its a very long time before i have to pull my engine again. its a lot of work for what youd end up with. how many times have u pulled neon engines though zach? doing it in ur sleep yet?

Old 07-05-2008, 09:26 PM
mulletman11
All Star

fsu, did you get all that **** straigntened up with everone?

Old 07-05-2008, 09:27 PM
TOOSTUBBORN2FAIL
Professional

I dont think doing a swap on its own and leaving it stock would ever be worth it, then again, unless your talking about doing a srt-4 or 2.4 i dont think its worth it if you dont have many plans for mods.

what i figured was
Where theDOHCshines, is when you plan to turbo, and want to minimize the weight gains for handling, theDOHC with a turbo only adds the weight of the turbo, and a tiny amount from the head, and can make more power then any n/a 2.4, where as the 2.4 turbo'd can make more power then aDOHC turbo but adds a weight penalty for the head, the block, and the turbo.

this is going from a sohc to either set up

Old 07-05-2008, 09:49 PM
I_Ride_Neon
Record Breaker

I was test driving the car. Older couple owned it and it had about 80k on it. It was clean. I was dissappointed.

Old 07-05-2008, 10:55 PM
Ghost Neon 2
Record Breaker

Not worth the swap? Sure. Depending on your goals of course. The dohc make more power across the board against a sohc with the same mods. This is fact. It is also fact that the sohc has a hp cap that is less than a sohc. Around 160-170whp. I believe some are attempting to extend that, but the sohc has yet to reach the 200whp mark the n/a dohc has eclipsed. Now again, I am not "bashing" or anything to the effect. Numbers do not lie. I find the sohc more simplified, but the dohc makes more power. It's a no brainer. Now if you have not so high goals, of course the platiform of choice is less an issue. But when looking for easy power, there is no comparison.

FSU also stated a very good point. How can you judge all dohc cars on one test drive? You know better than that. All cars from the factory were not created equal, and you expect stellar results from a 10yr old car owned by an elderly couple. Listen to yourself. My old 98 sohc was the bomb, compared to several cars. Yet my friends dohc was two more mods walked my a$$, and now I see how. The right combo of mods. I am goin got run a friend of mine here; his sohc against my dohc. Waiting for him to installed his cam and head. I have a bigger cam for him, but whatever. Results and pics will follow.

Old 07-06-2008, 01:16 AM
3rd white
Rookie

hey i ride, on behalf of all dohc owners/drivers im sorry ur experience wasn't up to par. now my dohc kinda fell into my lap, yet b4 i had ne mods done to it i drove a sohc and felt the diff immediately. the sohc was a lot of fun, but when it came down to it i didnt plan on leavin mine stock. so it was nice to have a boost. as far as a swap goes, i would go the route of the 2.4 b4 i recommended the dohc swap. more bang for ur buck and all that jazz.

Old 07-06-2008, 04:32 AM
DOHCgarrett t3
Record Breaker

I'll stick with my DOHC MTX anyday

Old 07-06-2008, 11:29 AM
I_Ride_Neon
Record Breaker

Thanks for the input on the swap ideas. But I nevber planned to do that wap. Hell I even ran dohc pistons with the sohc just to avoid the dohc. I was just pointing out the fact that My sohc mtx with 160,000 miles that was beat on for 80,000 would smopke a r/t a grandma drove and maintaned. i have raced other dohcs before and beat them. Everyone said they like dohc better. People said the dohc is faster over the sohc stock. Nope. Everyone says it is faster with mods. Not I am going to do a dohc swap on one neon, and keep one sohc. I want to prove that a dohc isnt any better then a sohc. I in no way would do the swap to hain power. Only reason I am goind dohc is because I want a cheap built turbo engine. So I am using the 2.4 srt-4. If I wasnt worried about clearance issues I would gladly build a 2.4 sohc.

Old 07-06-2008, 11:42 AM
I_Ride_Neon
Record Breaker

That post wasnt really for the dohc owners. Because I know when I heard all the talk about the dohc and never seen one around I really wanted one. But now I know its nothing special. Just another neon but with no take off power.

Quick Reply: Drove my first dohc mtx today