1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Not familar with dodges.

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 12:00 AM
12 volt
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did it come with the turbo and rest of the its components? Its a good idea to know what you have before you start boosting.

Civc neon is a bad idea IMO. Honda makes some really nice engines that would fit nicely

Old 09-10-2008, 10:35 AM
spudsterier
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you dont need to pull off the head to see what it has....just the oil pan....the pistons will be stamped on the underside with who makes them....the rods will be stamped on the side...
do you know if it has a cam or anything?
400-450hp is a bit high for 1 of these motors....especially without a hell of alot of work in the head and for that kind of power it would have to have either nitrous or a huge turbo pushing about 30 pounds of boost...

also if its got that much power, the car would have to have upgraded axles

Old 09-10-2008, 02:34 PM
b18a1ef

Originally Posted by Jr. Mechanic
Pull the head an the oil pan, you should be able to get an idea from the top of the piston and the bottom end... Thats not a bad idea with any used motor anyways.
I did think about pulling the head off of it to see if it has had any work done to it.

Originally Posted by 12 volt
Did it come with the turbo and rest of the its components? Its a good idea to know what you have before you start boosting.

Civc neon is a bad idea IMO. Honda makes some really nice engines that would fit nicely
Ya the motor is complete with turbo and boost gauge. I even have the complete exhaust system and intercooler and plumbing.

I was actually talking bout putting this motor in a civic. LOL

Originally Posted by spudsterier
you dont need to pull off the head to see what it has....just the oil pan....the pistons will be stamped on the underside with who makes them....the rods will be stamped on the side...
do you know if it has a cam or anything?
400-450hp is a bit high for 1 of these motors....especially without a hell of alot of work in the head and for that kind of power it would have to have either nitrous or a huge turbo pushing about 30 pounds of boost...

also if its got that much power, the car would have to have upgraded axles
Not too sure about everything with this motor. I will pull the pan once I get a picker moved over to my shop.

Like I said this motor & trans was all beefed up. Im sure it has a cam in it but I need to find out what it is. Im trying to research it all right now. I am even trying to find out what shop did this motor in Maryland.

Once I start the tear down I will post pics of it.

Thanx for all your suggestions thus far.

Old 09-10-2008, 05:20 PM
SohcBigTurbo

you wouldn't neccesarily NEED upgraded axles. If it was intended for strip, then you can get into the 10's on factory neon axles. The main reason axles break is wheel hop and from going from full torque to no torque to full torque in miliseconds is what snaps stuff. I know a couple guys in the 11's w/ factory axles and one guy w/ a 10.8 pass with the stockers. I'm looking to go deep into the 11's on autozone lifetime's :P

If you take off the cam position sensor and the magnet, most aftermarket cams will have the grind number etched into the back of them.

What turbo does it have on it? did it have a return-style fuel system? Oh, and just get a megasuqirt to control it.....you'll be much happier

Old 09-10-2008, 11:05 PM
das2123
Legend

Stock neon axles are rated for 132 ft/lbs of torque. Anything over that and you are pushing them past their limit.

Serious drag racers have upgraded axles. Weekend warriors live with snapping them and replacing them.

Old 09-11-2008, 01:35 PM
b18a1ef

Originally Posted by SohcBigTurbo
If you take off the cam position sensor and the magnet, most aftermarket cams will have the grind number etched into the back of them.

What turbo does it have on it? did it have a return-style fuel system? Oh, and just get a megasuqirt to control it.....you'll be much happier

Im not sure of the turbo or the fuel. It was just pulled out of the car and has been sitting for 3-4 years and it just fell in my lap not too long ago.

I will check the cams and whatever I can when I get some time. Plus I need a picker so I can pick it up and move to where I can work on it.

Old 09-11-2008, 01:58 PM
red91RT
Veteran
Wink

The funny thing is it don't take much to smoke a 5.0 Mustang. No really. Think about it. If you put a hahn stage 2 on and bump it up a little to say 250 HP, then you're making better than 10:1 weight to HP ratio in a first gen neon. That's pretty freakin' strong.

Be leary of anyone that claims their turbo SOHC is making 400+ horsepower unless they've got some ET's and 1/4 speeds in a car and you know the weight. You'd do better to get 15 horse out of decals, 45 horse out of cold air intake, 96 horse out of a lightened flywheel and 120 horse from neon under-body lights then to pay a premium for an ebay 400 horse motor.

Old 09-11-2008, 05:19 PM
spudsterier
Legend

i had a completely stock internal motor running 8psi and had no problem beating 5.0 mustangs....the little neon just walked away and the mustang didnt even put up a fight....so yeah, its pretty easy

Old 09-12-2008, 10:59 AM
b18a1ef

Originally Posted by red91RT
The funny thing is it don't take much to smoke a 5.0 Mustang. No really. Think about it. If you put a hahn stage 2 on and bump it up a little to say 250 HP, then you're making better than 10:1 weight to HP ratio in a first gen neon. That's pretty freakin' strong.

Be leary of anyone that claims their turbo SOHC is making 400+ horsepower unless they've got some ET's and 1/4 speeds in a car and you know the weight. You'd do better to get 15 horse out of decals, 45 horse out of cold air intake, 96 horse out of a lightened flywheel and 120 horse from neon under-body lights then to pay a premium for an ebay 400 horse motor.
I dont have much time right now but when I do or maybe over the winter I will tear this apart to see what it has in it. the HP rating may have been flywheel HP instead of wheel HP. Im still in the process of locating the pro shop that built this thing just too see if they can help me along with whats in it and what HP they dynoed it at.

Old 09-12-2008, 12:58 PM
red91RT
Veteran

Well...okay... but you only loose 21% from flyweel to wheels (or so...depends on auto/manny). So you'd still be at 300-340 based on what you're saying.

What I'm saying is there's a LOT of B.S. when it comes to selling both parts and cars. Don't believe it just out of hand.

You ever go to swap meets? same principle. A lot of times a guy will pull a tranny or an axle, clean it really good and paint it and then sell it as a rebuilt piece. ...IE: there's still snake-oil salesmen out there and the internet has only helped them to build their hype.

Now meanwhile...build it up/clean it up/whatever you're gonna do with it and then put it in your 2400 lbs car. Don't worry about the numbers now that you've got it, just run it and I'm sure you'll be pleased.

Quick Reply: Not familar with dodges.