1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Blowin' fuel pump fuses

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 09:37 PM
l33tn3wb3r
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blowin' fuel pump fuses

So, a while back i posted about my car idling bad, starting up bad sometimes, sometimes not at all. Now my gas gauge sometimes doesn't go up to show how much fuel i have, and when i hit a nice bump, of course not SEEING the bump to avoid it, the sudden jar jiggles something, car dies, and i blow a fuel pump fuse. I'm assuming my troubles are now more narrowed down to the problem now because of the fuse problem; would there be bad electrical issues? Is this a common problemo?

Thanks

Old 09-13-2008, 12:09 AM
12 volt
Record Breaker

short circut? they make tools to find shorts or you could do it the old fashion way
http://www.brandsplace.com/0384-kdt2524.html

Old 09-13-2008, 01:16 AM
streetracer88
All Star

sounds to me like you have a electrical problem..

Old 09-13-2008, 10:13 AM
DOHCgarrett t3
Record Breaker

check your down stream O 2 sensor wiring may be grounding on the axle or some metal. when your 02 sensor grounds out it blows the fuel pump fuse.

Old 09-13-2008, 03:16 PM
mopar435

i have done everythin g u all have said to do and it is still blowing i have done everything isa there anything else that can be sugested

Old 09-13-2008, 11:36 PM
Jyro

Its possible that your fuel pump is going out. The fuel gauge not working at times sounds like a instrument cluster issue. The blowing fuse sounds like your fuel pump may be drawing to many amps causing it to blow the fuse. Does it seem to blow the fuse when you are low on fuel. If so it probably is the pump due to the fact that the fuel pump is "cooled" by the fuel. So when your fuel level is low it causes the brushes to drag, due to the lack of fuel, therefore increasing the amperage needed to run the fuel pump.

Old 09-14-2008, 12:56 PM
l33tn3wb3r
Rookie

Originally Posted by Jyro
Its possible that your fuel pump is going out. The fuel gauge not working at times sounds like a instrument cluster issue. The blowing fuse sounds like your fuel pump may be drawing to many amps causing it to blow the fuse. Does it seem to blow the fuse when you are low on fuel. If so it probably is the pump due to the fact that the fuel pump is "cooled" by the fuel. So when your fuel level is low it causes the brushes to drag, due to the lack of fuel, therefore increasing the amperage needed to run the fuel pump.
No, my tank could be full and not effect anything. I've noticed it's the bumps i've hit that cause it, the sudden jar. The fuel gauge has only not risen to it's appropriate fuel level once, and that was the other day, so im pretty sure its not my cluster gauge. Someone mentioned electrical to me as well so i'll look into that, thanks guys.

Old 09-16-2008, 03:41 PM
Neon_Freak
Professional

i had the same prob with my 96 sohc neon mtx.. i had the fuel pump replaced and when they replaced the fuel pump they found some wires that was bare and was grounding out on the car.. after that there was no more blown fuel pump fuses. check all of ur wirieing under ur car to c if there i any bare fuses. hope this helps.

Old 09-16-2008, 09:47 PM
das2123
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it only occurs when you are hitting a bump, that should indicate that it's a loose wire somewhere. Trace all the wiring and cover up any bare wire. Also check your fuel pump relay.

Old 09-16-2008, 11:44 PM
l33tn3wb3r
Rookie

Originally Posted by das2123
If it only occurs when you are hitting a bump, that should indicate that it's a loose wire somewhere. Trace all the wiring and cover up any bare wire. Also check your fuel pump relay.
Well I don't know if this changes anything, but I forgot to mention that sometimes I'll try to start the car and all it does is turn over until i give it some gas. 85% of the time it starts right up, other times it just turns over. If I don't give it gas it will eventually start in those few times, so I'm curious if its BOTH my pump AND bare wires lmao. thank you guys, as soon as i get a day off i'll check 'er out.

Quick Reply: Blowin' fuel pump fuses