1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

buildin a stroker could use some advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 07:35 AM
dirt_trac_racer_80jr
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default buildin a stroker could use some advice

Hey guys havnt been on for awhile...well I finished my season I won 6 out 15 races and rarlly finishd outta the top 3 ...but anyway ...this winter I'm makin it a stroker so I can run in a outlaw class coming out next year...I have an idea of wat 2 do and I've crunched some #s and some specs ...I wanna see wat u guys have 2 say and compare them 2 mine ...also I like 2 kno if anyone here has done the 2.2 stroker and wat it al in tales...so if u guys could give me some specs like rods and crank pistons and wat I need 2 do 2 my head thatd b awesome. .thanx a million and itd b very helpfull if u guys could help me out...never stroked a 4 cylinder b4 I think this will b fun haha...o by the way its a SOHC

Old 10-15-2008, 09:32 AM
neoncrazy101
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

in the outlaw class, could you run the 2.4L?

Old 10-15-2008, 11:46 AM
GLXRustang
Professional

Check out HowellAutomotive.com and look in the neon section. They have a forged 2.2 piston to use with the 3.54" stroke forged crank. But, im not sure of the rod length. They have longer eagle h beams but again, I aint sure whats needed. About 500 for the pistons (JE) and 700 for the crank.

Hey Dirt why don't you post some pics in my thread about extremists cuz this sounds pretty crazy.

Old 10-15-2008, 11:24 PM
12 volt
Record Breaker

heres the crank.
http://www.importperformanceparts.ne...star-neon.html

with that and your block bored to .040 over it should give you 2.2 liters. you should be able to use the same rods

Old 10-15-2008, 11:31 PM
dirt_trac_racer_80jr
Professional

ya i can run the 2.4 the only rules are that it has to b a fwd 4 cylinder....and ofcoarse the safty stuff ....fuel cell, 5 point harness, .095 roll cage, window net, ya know all that sorta stuff, but im tryin to keep the same block and head i have now ...i have alot of money in my head and im not willing to part with it ya know...i just wanna stroke it out ..maybe cam it out alil...im looking for the best combination of parts to get he job done ...i kno i could just throw parts at it and hope they match eachother but thats not my style ...i want everything to match perfectly down to the .01... if at all possible ...i wanna sqeeze all the power outta this natural aspirated 2.0 as i can ..i was looking at the 10.5 to 1 je pistons and the callies 3.543 crank using the 5.472 eagle h beam rods...does anyone have a suggestion as to which cam to run ...i currently own both the crane 14 and the crane 12...i also have the comp severe street cam....the crane 12 is installed because i was running mid sized tracks towards the end of the season and needed the power at higher rpms ..it was about perfect for the tracks i ran ..but i fear that with the extra horse itll b 2 small...maybe the 14 possible 16 or 18?...like i said in my prior post ...has anyone done anything like this b4 ..i know its obviously been done but have 1 of u guys actually built the engine b4.......im also open to suggestions..im not set in stone that this is wat im doin but like i said i have to much money in my head to let it set in the garage

Old 10-15-2008, 11:38 PM
dirt_trac_racer_80jr
Professional

rustang ill post ya some pics the next time i get a chance to take um ....the car is in PA and im currently going to school in NC...i have so old ones from when the car was first built but i know thats not wat these guys wanna c..they wanna c wat it looks like after a full season.. hahaha most have already seen it ive posted pics b4...but i will post some pics for ya k ..thanx for the help...keep it comin hah

Old 10-15-2008, 11:54 PM
dirt_trac_racer_80jr
Professional

12 volt ....im liking the crank ...is it knife edged??...wat piston and rod combo goes best with that crank ....even if it can use the stock rods i dnt think ill want to ...ill probably go with sumpin lighter ....tryin to get all light internals if i can ... probably h beam to so i can turn the r's and not wry bout it scattering... i also thot bout maybe running a short rod combo so i can crank way high rpms...idk im kinda on the fence ...with a stroker itll b more torquey but i wont b able to turn high rpms correct?..or am i thinkin wrong ...idk for sure ..always jsut had the parts handed to me and built it ..never actually did the research on specs and matching parts..thats y all the help u guys can give me is greatly appreciated

Old 10-16-2008, 04:19 AM
FastNeon84
Record Breaker

what part of NC do u go to school in? i live in Charlotte

Old 10-16-2008, 03:13 PM
bone33
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by dirt_trac_racer_80jr
rustang ill post ya some pics the next time i get a chance to take um ....the car is in PA and im currently going to school in NC...i have so old ones from when the car was first built but i know thats not wat these guys wanna c..they wanna c wat it looks like after a full season.. hahaha most have already seen it ive posted pics b4...but i will post some pics for ya k ..thanx for the help...keep it comin hah

you dont need to take pics, just img tag that ones that scott whipple took at mercer.

Old 10-17-2008, 03:09 AM
dirt_trac_racer_80jr
Professional

I live in huntersville I go to Nti in moorseville...how did u find the pics scott wipplle took ...u from pa...or did u google my name ....and I can't post those pics cause I have 2 use my blackberry to even post these comments that's y they all messd up ...it weird...but we r gettin of the subject of my motor here

Quick Reply: buildin a stroker could use some advice