Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 02:12 AM
1st Gen
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

TPS Sensor

EGR

The socket is for the axles.

Last edited by 1st Gen; 06-01-2009 at 02:38 AM.
Old 06-01-2009, 02:43 AM
1st Gen
Professional

The tall skinny one is DOHC, the other is SOHC. I actually modified the tank not knowing that it wasn't going to fit. In the wild, the short squaty one looks a bit different that it's domesticated cousin here.

Last edited by 1st Gen; 06-01-2009 at 02:45 AM.
Old 06-01-2009, 07:25 AM
1st Gen
Professional

Cold Air Intake

I found the proper ATF fluid to use in the FAQ, thanks to das2123 for so much knowledge about my car

Last edited by 1st Gen; 06-01-2009 at 08:20 AM.
Old 06-01-2009, 12:11 PM
Altima_wb
Captain

Originally Posted by 1st Gen
The new dampener. I sure hope I don't ever have to take that bad bitch off. After putting this one on, I understood why the other one was so hard to get off. I don't understand why they didn't just use a cotter key?
the reason they don't use a key is cause its just a pulley it don't actually balance the engine on the neons.. so all its there to do is to run your alternator, power steering and ac...hope you didn't pay much for the stock pulley would have been a wise investment to go with an underdrive pulley seen as you can pick them up off ebay new for 45 shipped..

Old 06-01-2009, 12:20 PM
Altima_wb
Captain

I would deff replace the water pump for sure... they aren't that expensive and when the go out it can be a bad deal i bought my 97 DOHC neon and the water pump had gone out and tore up the timing belt... tore her all apart replaced the belt and water pump and she runs great total of 650 bucks into the car including the purchase price... great lil ride too... pulling 36-38mpg driving back and forth to work... as far as the stalling i would deff replace the fuel filter to start after that its most likely gonna be a sensor but which is hard to tell seen as you didn't have a check engine light.... oh and instead of buying a new power steering tank why don't you do like i did and just buy a pipe thread nipple thats the right size for the hose... and then drill the hole out on the tank to fit the pipe thread part tight... then just throw a lil bit of your favorite epoxy on the threads and slowly screw it in to the plastic being careful not crack the plastic.. works great have done it on other vehicles too.. my brother inlaw is horrible about breaking off those lil plastic nipples lol anyway takes a few mins and only cost ya maybe 3 bucks inparts.... then just let the epoxy dry completely and reinstal and use

Last edited by Altima_wb; 06-01-2009 at 12:25 PM.
Old 06-01-2009, 01:26 PM
1st Gen
Professional

Originally Posted by Altima_wb
the reason they don't use a key is cause its just a pulley it don't actually balance the engine on the neons.. so all its there to do is to run your alternator, power steering and ac...hope you didn't pay much for the stock pulley would have been a wise investment to go with an underdrive pulley seen as you can pick them up off ebay new for 45 shipped..
I was looking at the FAQ just last night and realized that the under drive pulley is a viable mod for this car. I kind of wish I would have done that but it's too late now. I got the dampener for a good price so no regrets there. Thanks very much for the advice.

In all I have or will have replaced the main bearing, rod bearings, water pump, timing belt, rear main seal, pan gasket, dampener, TPS sensor, and power steering reservoir tank. I grabbed an EGR valve out of the j/y just to see what would happen so that's on there too. I'll probably mod up some kind of CAI as well if I can figure it out. I'll review the FAQ again before heading out to the j/y.

The mod you talked about for the tank is an option but my kid will be driving this car. I'm a little nervous about using less than standard materials on something as important as the steering mechanism. He's not mechanically inclined and may not know how to react in case of catastrophic steering failing. I will however keep it in mind if this tank turns out to be too hard to find.

Last edited by 1st Gen; 06-01-2009 at 01:28 PM.
Old 06-01-2009, 01:50 PM
Altima_wb
Captain

well one of the vehicles we did this to is a off road truck... spends its time getting beat on in the mud and feilds... pretty hard life for it and it hasn't failed in the 2 years since we did it and thats pretty abusive lol but yeah i can see your point i drove my car for a few months without the powersteering its no big deal lol i just didn't put the powersteering belt on till i got the tank fixed...

Old 06-01-2009, 06:25 PM
1st Gen
Professional

The wife and I took a road trip accross the river to Portland. I'm happy to say I made a clean sweep. I actually found two Neon's with DOHC engines. I even grabbed the TPS off one of them.

It's been a good day.

Old 06-02-2009, 02:31 AM
1st Gen
Professional

I got the car back together for the most part and all the fluids back in. I still have to install the fender wells and the brace from the battery box to the front cowl. Then of course there is the hood. There is also the small matter of making sure it runs.

I turned it over tonight for the first time, or should I say, I tried to turn it over. As soon as I hooked up the battery I could hear the key alarm inside the cabin. I'm thinking this is a good sign. I get in and turn the key and all the light on the dash come on, again a good sign. Then I went for the basket, I turned the key all the way. CLICK, and that was all it would do. Hmf.

I put the battery in without cleaning the posts or terminals, and it didn't tighten the bolts down tight either. It's 11:30pm now, it'll wait until tomorrow.

Old 06-02-2009, 01:32 PM
1st Gen
Professional

I cleaned the battery post and all that, unplugged the plug wires and turned it over until the oil light went off, then fired it up. It started right up The check engine light is on though which may be because I put an EGR valve off a SOHC engine on this engine. I'll check it a little later. Right now, I'm going to get the darn thing out of my garage.

Quick Reply: My 1st Gen work log. The rebuild!