1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Need help passing emissions...96 Neon O2 and EGR not ready

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2008, 12:24 PM
atxjax
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 12 volt
Okay first of all what state are you doing the test in?

Have you already failed a test, and if so what were the results(what part did it fail)?

In Austin, Texas. The car is failing for the monitors not being ready. 02, EGR and the catalyst.

Yes. I took it in to get tested and the above were the results. So basically none of the systems are ready to take data from the car. Ive driven the car plenty so it should have reset those to the ready state. Only thing I can think of is that the KAM ( keep alive memory ) on the PCM is bad so it resets the states everytime you turn the key off.

Old 11-23-2008, 07:05 AM
atxjax
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK. Figured it out with the help of u guys and searching the web. Apparently there is a TSB on the 96 models because when you shut off the engine it erases the readiness status of the monitors from the PCM memory. TSB 18-005-01. I beleive if you go to a stealership they will perform this at no cost to you.

What I did was drive the car for an afternoon and leave it on and go straight to the inspection place without shutting it down. Let the guy at the shop know not to turn it off and test it immediately. It will pass.

Quick Reply: Need help passing emissions...96 Neon O2 and EGR not ready