1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

99 Neon turns, but won't start

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 02:25 AM
Kusanagi
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 Neon turns, but won't start

I'm at a loss!

I just got my used 1999 Neon about a month ago. Took it to the mechanic, no problems whatsoever, has been running like a champ.

Drove it home this morning just fine, no issues, and three hours later when I went to start it, it won't catch. The engine cranks but won't start.

The battery's fine, we tested it and tried to jump it. Tested all the relays in the engine fuse block along with the fuel pump and ignition fuses, and they're all fine.

For whatever reason, it just won't start. There's no smell of gas so I don't think it's flooding, but I'll pull a spark plug tommorrow just to be sure and see if fuel injects into the cylinder.

Is there anything else electrical it could be? It seems the fuel pump just isn't pumping. Maybe a fuse inside the car or do the neons have a kill switch if they get bumped too hard? We live in a neighborhood with alot of kids.

If anyone has had this issue that can give me other things to try, I'd greatly appreciate it!

Old 02-01-2009, 12:58 PM
Kusanagi

Checked all the fuses again in the light, there's no problems...

Old 02-01-2009, 02:54 PM
sabin420
Captain

there is a small valve on the fuel rail. take off the plastic cap and push in the valve. if fuel comes out, it's not a fuel problem.

Old 02-01-2009, 10:31 PM
Kusanagi

Nope...no gasoline comes out of the fuel rail when I crank it. Dangit...

I don't have the money for a mechanic and I don't have the money for a rental, I'm totally screwed

Old 02-01-2009, 11:03 PM
sabin420
Captain

Not Nssicarily...I've had this problem before...Under the hood in the relay box, there is a relay for the Auto Shut Down...You are going to want to try and jump that relay...pin 87 (not 87a-the middle pin) to pin 85...the fuel pump should turn on...if it doesn't, then you got a bad fuel pump or you are out of gas.

Old 02-02-2009, 06:45 PM
Kusanagi

Doh! I'm an idiot. I was checking the fuses in the engine block, not the ones under the dash. The fuel pump relay fuse in the dash is grounded and blows instantly, went through 6 fuses as soon as it starts up.

The mechanic spent a few hours checking it out and hopefully it's just a short, but that involves checking the different wires in the harness, an expensive procedure.

Looks like my car is stuck at the shop until I get paid again

Old 02-04-2009, 03:04 AM
12 volt
Record Breaker

check the wires to your o2 sensor

Old 02-04-2009, 04:24 PM
sabin420
Captain

very good 12 volt...most common wires to short...up against the hot exhaust.

Old 02-15-2009, 05:10 PM
rayraydoet
Professional

i have the same problem no spark or fuel i checked all fises and relays there all good when i jump the fuel pump relay the fuel pump goes on so i no that the pump works. when i jumpo the asd relay the fuel pump doesnt go on. its like i got no power to the pcm any ideas? what happens when i jump the asd realy? does the pcm turn on? and that also turns on te fuel pump relay also right? all fuses and relays are good it the engine cransks but im not geting signals from anything no signal from tps nothing. i got 8 volts at the crank and cam sensor i got + power going to them but the ground side of the sensor isnt geting grounded doesnt the pcm work buy grounding the sensors not suppying the postive power? what could be the problem?

Old 02-15-2009, 05:13 PM
rayraydoet
Professional

Originally Posted by sabin420
Not Nssicarily...I've had this problem before...Under the hood in the relay box, there is a relay for the Auto Shut Down...You are going to want to try and jump that relay...pin 87 (not 87a-the middle pin) to pin 85...the fuel pump should turn on...if it doesn't, then you got a bad fuel pump or you are out of gas.
well whAT if u have fuel and a good fuel pump. then what is the problem?

Quick Reply: 99 Neon turns, but won't start