1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

srt-4 turbo question again, oil feed.

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 02:34 PM
I_Ride_Neon
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default srt-4 turbo question again, oil feed.

SO you know how they make oil restrictions for turbos? Does the srt-4 turbo need that? And whats the point of the oil restriction? to keep the oil pressure in the motor up?

Old 03-24-2009, 08:52 AM
mmench
Captain

i never used a restrictor on my car. never had a problem yet with oil. one thing to make sure though is that if you do a catch can (if you dont alota oil will come out the valve cover) make sure you put it in correctly with a check valve. if you dont you will load the motor up with pressure after a pull and push oil through the seals also.. .. im most likely wrong but i think it keeps some pressure off the seals of the turbo on some kinds so it doesnt push the oil past. .. atleast thats what i heard somewere.i think lol. think some types only require a smal lamount o oil and arent designed to handle what the pump sends

Old 03-24-2009, 02:39 PM
I_Ride_Neon
Record Breaker

How did you run your oil catch can? Any pics?

Old 03-24-2009, 08:32 PM
spudsterier
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i actually had 2 catch cans on my car.....
1 between the valve cover and intake manifold and the other between the breather and the valve cover....
worked great, but you will deffinately need the check valves.....

when i spun a bearing on my stock turbo motor (before the built motor) it was because i didnt have a catch can or check valve in place......i really got on the gas when pulling out of a parking lot and the car dumped about 3 quarts of oil out of the breather on the valve cover

Old 03-25-2009, 12:36 AM
I_Ride_Neon
Record Breaker

Well I bought one. Should I run it between the pcv valve and the intake?

Old 03-25-2009, 09:31 AM
spudsterier
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that would be the best spot.....but you will have to keep an eye on the breather (if you have one)
i had to dump both my catch cans once a day.....and each catch can held about 1/2 a quart of oil

Old 03-25-2009, 11:39 PM
I_Ride_Neon
Record Breaker

I dont want to make another thread, so I will just stay on this one. Next question: I got the chill factory rrfpr. There are two vacuum hook ups, and 2 adjustable *****. One vacuum has a one way valve on it. I assume by the one way valve that the little one on the side is for boost, and the center one is for idle. Is that correct? So can I adjust the rate of gain during boost with the other one? Can anyone explain this?

Old 03-26-2009, 09:00 AM
mmench
Captain

ok when i ran my catch can (CC) i did it like this
-attach a hose to the pcv valve nipple
-attach one to the breather nipple
-using a barbed y fitting from vacume line join them together
-route the third end of the 'y' to the CC in barb
-2 ways to do this.. you can use a check valve and put the outgoing hose from the CC to the intake manifold barb. what i did was make a small ghetto intake for my turbo and put a nipple on the side of it. i put the outgoin hose from the CC to this so it will always be under vacume and keeping my oiling system good

side note: if you dont use a check valve or the CC out hose is put anywhere on the manifold or anyplace that sees boost you will hurt things. when i hooked it up wrong and had no check valve after a few seconds the CC became pressurized from boost and forced pressure into the motor. this make it so oil pressure built up in my turbo and it pushed oil out the compressor seals and resulted in alota smoke and burnt oil

carefully look and you can see how mine is routed

Old 03-26-2009, 09:00 AM
mmench
Captain

i can take more pics if you want so its easier to see

Old 03-26-2009, 11:30 AM
GLXRustang
Professional

2 things, oil restrictors are just a narrow orfice about 3/16" or -3 an that keeps oil pressure from blowing out the seals in the turbocharger. A note if you disagree, remember that as velocity increases, pressure decreases. And vice-versa. You can usually avoid this by using -3 lines.

Which way does the check valve work, in or out of the regulator? The **** likely adjusts the rate, 10:1, 12:1 etc. Which to use tho hmmm...

Oh and my DOHC sucks PCV oil like crazy, pools in the bottom of the intake a catch can would be nice

Quick Reply: srt-4 turbo question again, oil feed.