1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Horn is stuck

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 02:14 PM
Crash Test Dummy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Horn is stuck

My new step daughter has a '95 Dodge Neon with 109,000 miles on a 2.0L SOHC automatic. I recently replaced the fuel pump to get it running again with help from various posts here and a knowlegeable man at Auto Zone who has owned 3 Neons himself.

Anyway, my step-daughter has told me her horn had never worked since getting the car. I opened the fuse box in the engine compartent and noticed the fuse was not there. After another quick trip to AutoZone I installed the fuse. The moment I got it in the horn sounded almost giving me a heart attack. Now I know why the previous owner pulled the fuse.

Any ideas as to why the horn is stuck and how to fix this problem? I couldn't even see the horn from the engine compartment and I have read that it's located somewhere behind the front bumper on the driver's side.

Old 04-13-2009, 03:10 PM
Captansavaho
Captain

drop the from bumper there are like 3 or 4 allen screws inside the wheel well and some bolts under the bumper...pop the bumper off and its right there connected to i guess the bumper support..as for it being stuck no clue..bitch slap the wheel a few times haha

Old 04-13-2009, 05:23 PM
Crash Test Dummy

I just talked to a mechanic, and he gave me an ugly answer. He said everything is wired through the airbag, so you have to take the airbag out to check the horn. He said if you remove the airbag (very simple with just a couple screws) and the horn works correctly, then it is the clock spring which would need to be fixed or the airbag could fire incorrectly. If the horn doesn't work with the airbag removed then I would need to try to get a replacement airbag from a junk yard. Does that sound correct to anyone? Why isn't anything ever easy????

Old 04-13-2009, 09:01 PM
Captansavaho
Captain

idk on the neons but that sounds right for the new chargers...so im guessing it would be the same??

Old 04-13-2009, 09:04 PM
streetracer88
All Star

you could prolly just have to adjust the wires it could be pinched in there but if its not then your better off replacing the air bag or you can by a steering wheel off of ebay with the air bag and horn all ready together for cheap just me let us know what you do hope i helped you out

Old 04-13-2009, 10:02 PM
sabin420
Captain

I say it's the switch under the airbag...probably got somethin in it and it's stuck down...it's like a little metal flap under the horn button on each side. you gotta take out the airbag to see ur problem anyways.

Old 04-14-2009, 03:00 AM
12 volt
Record Breaker

i would try swaping the horn relay with the fuel pump one (same part #).

Old 04-14-2009, 02:12 PM
Crash Test Dummy

Thanks for the replies. I'll try some of these and see what happens. Will report back soon.

Old 04-14-2009, 09:44 PM
neoncrazy101
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

your air bag to remove is simply too btw. just unplug the battery wait a while and then take out the screws on the side of the air bags that hold the two plastic pieces (if you have Cruise Control its where those are at) then pop those out and then its two 10 mm that hold the air bag on. and then slowly take it out (make sure you're not in front of it just in case) and unplug it from behind and see whats up with the buttons. thats if you choose to go that route.

Old 03-30-2021, 10:10 PM
Abel Lopez
Default 2000 Dodge Neon Horn Problem

I have a 2000 Dodge Neon and when I turn the steering wheel the Horn blows: I HAVE REMOVED THE AIR BAG AND IT STILL BLOWS ONLY WHEN I TURN THE STEERING WHEEL ,what could be the problem. Thanks

Quick Reply: Horn is stuck