1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

what gives?!

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 09:39 PM
GLXRustang
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

oh crap, posted too late. I forgot about torque converter lock-up. damn and i was all set too. Well the header is still going on and the cat is coming off. I still need to do manual swap. I'll need a manual PCM anyway for that, so I might still try it. Lock up sucks anyway. Right when youre on it, it drags the rpm down 500 or so (good for gas tho)

Old 05-07-2009, 01:12 PM
Altima_wb
Captain

if your good at wiring you could always just wire up a push button switch for the tq converter lock up... i know i few people who have done it with other transmissions and it works great... also are you sure the tq converter lock is electronic cause i used to have a 91 chevy blazer with the 700r4 and it had a lock up converter and it wasn't electronic at all.. cause with only having a 3spd tranny your deff going to want the lock up lol... other wise your milage will really suck...

Old 05-07-2009, 05:57 PM
neoncrazy101
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its electronic.

Old 05-09-2009, 09:29 PM
GLXRustang
Professional

doesnt matter, couldnt find one at junk yard, BUT, got the header on and cat off, so that should be worth smthing. still gonna try pcm, but not brand new, even thought about megasquirt, i want to take full advantage of the rpm potential of the DOHC. I will have 0-100 and 20-100 numbers sunday.

mega mega megasquirt, how does it connect, can I program for the converter clutch, and can I get rid of cel concerning no cat?

Old 05-10-2009, 07:15 PM
Altima_wb
Captain

Originally Posted by GLXRustang
doesnt matter, couldnt find one at junk yard, BUT, got the header on and cat off, so that should be worth smthing. still gonna try pcm, but not brand new, even thought about megasquirt, i want to take full advantage of the rpm potential of the DOHC. I will have 0-100 and 20-100 numbers sunday.

mega mega megasquirt, how does it connect, can I program for the converter clutch, and can I get rid of cel concerning no cat?
with the megasquirt you can get rid of the CEL seen as your car will be running completely off the mega squirt unit... as far as controlling the tq converter lock up i don't think it can... but seen as the megasquirt is open source and is setup to be adapted to control other things if your good at programing and electronics i'm pretty sure if you spent enough time on it you could make it control the lock up...

Old 05-11-2009, 08:24 AM
GLXRustang
Professional

thx Altima, I maybe doing megasquirt. I checked south bend, and no one has a DOHC manual neon on their grounds. So its mega or AFX and I'd rather do mega since I want turbo.

I installed the header sunday and got rid of the cat and haven't noticed too much of a difference. Its slightly louder (due to an exhaust leak), slighty quicker (takes 26 seconds from 20 to 100 mph instead of 29) and I am only slightly impressed.

I want to jump right to turbo, so I am going to save some money and amass some parts first starting with megasquirt.