1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Need a Experts Help. HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 05:57 AM
MarkMcCLouds
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need a Experts Help. HELP!!

Okay heres the deal, I have this 1996 dodge Neon SOHC. I have a minor over heating problem ( i don't think its a head gasket ). Also it has a back firing problem. i changer the Fuel Filter, Air filter, oil change with a oil filter. I also changed the spark plugs. then its still ran rough. so i went to check the timing and the pulley attached to the hydrolic tensioner was bad so i changed the timing belt, tensioner, pulley, water pump. and line up all the timing marks and still runs bad but it don't back fire as much.

also the check engine lite was on and i hooked it up and it said i needed a cam sensor and a sensor for the temp. i have not put on the sensors because it got late.

do you think this is going to work?

Any Thing i could do?

Old 06-19-2009, 05:30 PM
Moparmatt440
Veteran

with the cam sensor being faulty the car will run rough, due to a bad signal going to the ecm, temp sensor also let the ecu know how hot the car is running, does your fans come on? If they arent then thats why your over heating, have you replaced your thermostat?

Old 06-20-2009, 12:30 AM
das2123
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MarkMcCLouds
also the check engine lite was on and i hooked it up and it said i needed a cam sensor and a sensor for the temp. i have not put on the sensors because it got late.

do you think this is going to work?
Yes I do.

Any Thing i could do?
Get some sleep and start fresh in the morning

Old 06-20-2009, 01:19 PM
MarkMcCLouds

Thanks guys all sensors where replaced and every thing seams fine with the running condition. the instrument panel is not working ( speedo, temp and gas ) to let you konw i just got the car 3 days befor this post and i did not notice these problems due to the fact i got it at the auction. Any help on the instrument panel? also its an automatic.

ok i replaced the thermostat and still over heated. so i took it out yesterday and did not drive it around because battery light is on and then i would not start. i went and got a new alternator. i will keep you posted and let you know if the car over heats

Old 06-20-2009, 03:04 PM
Moparmatt440
Veteran

Okay, still over heating huh, when the car is hot and your sitting there do the fans come on? Have you checked all the fuses inside the car? If they are good, check the connections and wires, maybe it has a bad ground somewhere.

Old 06-20-2009, 07:10 PM
das2123
Legend

TAny help on the instrument panel?
Here you go...
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...er-repair.html

Old 06-20-2009, 09:01 PM
MarkMcCLouds

i have a good question i think.

I know that in older cars ( pre 74) if you have a bad alternator you can just take off the positave or negitave. how can i check?

also i just changed the alternator today and then still nothing. so i went to check the battery and on the way there the car just died. the guys at the parts department said that was normal. so i put my battery to charge, and after an hour they said the battery was bad. so the question is.

Do you think it could be just the battery, connection, or ???? just need help

Thanks for all the up dating i am getting you guys ROCK!

Last edited by MarkMcCLouds; 06-20-2009 at 09:02 PM. Reason: mis spelled
Old 06-20-2009, 09:06 PM
MarkMcCLouds

Originally Posted by Moparmatt440
Okay, still over heating huh, when the car is hot and your sitting there do the fans come on? Have you checked all the fuses inside the car? If they are good, check the connections and wires, maybe it has a bad ground somewhere.
fans going off and on. did not over heat untill there was no juice left in the battery. i had no power any where, would that be right if the alternator is good because i just changed it?

i was figuring if the alternator was good, and the battery was bad, i would still have some power to opperate the winshield wipers, blinkers and fa.n. cause non of it came on.

Last edited by MarkMcCLouds; 06-20-2009 at 09:08 PM.
Old 06-22-2009, 07:09 PM
Moparmatt440
Veteran

Kinda, with some ecu's if there isnt much volts it would only control what is needed, but to answer your other post you disconnect the neg, if the car still runs then bad batt, if it dies then alt. I good batt will kinda build itself back, do you use a regular batt? If you have the money get a optima or odessey batt alot better, plus with these you wont get that crap growing on the terminals. Plus check all the wires from the battery, if the corrosion got into the wire then replace it, actually if you want to just replace the power and ground go up to a 2 gauge wire, the wires that come on stock have a bit of resistance, if you go bigger then no resistance. Also with the car running if you have a volt meter check the batt it should be around 14.0-14.5 volts maybe high 13s.

Old 06-22-2009, 11:54 PM
dipsherry
Record Breaker

Yeah check all your wires and grounds. I bet if you change out the battery it will prolly be ok.

Quick Reply: Need a Experts Help. HELP!!