1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

What/How to clean my pistons

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2005, 11:34 PM
NYG
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: What/How to clean my pistons

Thanks - I already picked up a 5Gal can of the parts cleaner - should last me a long time - plus mineral spirits do not break down over time nor with temperature!

Greg

Old 03-21-2005, 11:48 PM
RayDog26
All Star

let me know how it works.. i never really used that kind before i used a machine at a shop that had some thing different in it. also what are mineral spirits i never heard of that before ??

Old 03-21-2005, 11:59 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

bolt up a 500 shot dry trigger kit, hit the trigger, and let off the accelerator....i hear that cleans off the carbon pretty nicely...

Old 03-22-2005, 12:17 AM
NYG
Veteran

Mineral Spirits is what they have always used in Garages to clean Auto Parts - Most Garage that has those parts washing bins will most always run Mineral Spirits in it for cleaning Autoparts - it is great at breaking down oil and crude off parts - My only problem was I don't have a parts washer and I could not find mineral spirits in a container less then 5 Gals

Greg

Old 03-22-2005, 12:18 AM
NYG
Veteran

I have heard that Dry Shot will do more then just clean your engine parts.

My Engines is already dismantled - so a Dry Shot won't do the job this time!

Greg

Old 03-22-2005, 12:36 AM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

when i helped my dad built my 340, we used a 5 gallon bucket with some gas and carb cleaner, with a stiff wire brush, and a smal wire brush for the small spaces...it even took off things like old stick on gasket adhesive..things like that...i would think that any sort of harsh solvent, like paint thinner or turpentine would do the job..no?

and sorry about the nos remark...i admin at 33 other sites all day, and i cant be a smart ***...so i have to unload all of my smartass remarks here...glad you took it in good fun...

Old 03-22-2005, 12:44 AM
RayDog26
All Star

lol thats funny... but to answer your question i think paint thiner and turpentine would be to powerful for the metal.. you don't want to mess up the finish and every thing they are coated with.

Old 03-22-2005, 01:13 AM
NYG
Veteran

No Problem BadStratRT- I too am a Smart *** - It s a way of life - If you can not be yourself - you will one day expode!!
Besides - life is too short - you can not take everything for what it is worth - you got to have a sense of humor in every day things!
I have to admit - that would be a creative way to clean your engine!

Hey RayDog26 - I would not think that any of the engine components that are metal are coated with anything - What would you coat a engine part with that would resist Gas, Oil, and the High Temperatures - but might not be able to handle paint thinner nor turpentine with the exception of Gaskets? I am only guessing!

Greg

Old 03-22-2005, 01:24 AM
RayDog26
All Star

yeh im not to sure either but i thought pistons and internal engine parts were like coated with like anti-rust and corrosion stuff. if u have ur piston box it might say some thing.... its just a guess im not really sure tho. plus i would think its not good to have any resido from that stuff on there when u go to run the engine i mean im sure u can clean it off tho.

Old 03-22-2005, 01:39 AM
Travisd

There is a round plastic brush the goes on the end of a die grinder, I used on one on my car when i changed my head gasket to clean everything up, and even the pistons, it is made for aluminum parts and wont hurt them,and it cleans the carbon off really quick and easy and they look like new. you can pick it up at about any auto parts store for about 3 or 4 dollars.

Quick Reply: What/How to clean my pistons