1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

What/How to clean my pistons

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2005, 03:13 AM
casper
Legend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: What/How to clean my pistons

I would have to agree, there is no solvent that is gonna hurt the metal. Other than suferic acid or something along those lines.

Old 03-22-2005, 11:49 AM
NYG
Veteran

Hi Travisd - Its a plastic brush that takes all the carbon off? Did you use any cleaners with that?? I tried a hand brush and it barely knocked any of the carbon off - my plan is to let them soak in Mineral Spirits this afternoon and then take a 3M 2" Strip/Polish Discs and Polish the top of the pistons lightly - the 3M 2" Strip/Polish Discs is what Autozone and Advance both suggested last night

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductD...rtNumber=03050

http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBr...EMMM%7C%7Etrue

Greg

Old 03-22-2005, 11:52 AM
NYG
Veteran

You are right RayDog26 - they do put a film of some sort over new parts to ship and store them so the parts will not rust, corrode, nor oxidize - but that is just a oil that washes right off. But they all recommend you wash your parts before installing them - for example on break rotors - they suggest you wash off the new rotors with Break Cleaner to get the film off before installing. I can not think of anything that would be on a part after you install it that is coated.

Greg

Old 03-22-2005, 05:33 PM
RayDog26
All Star

well i just learned some thing new lol... i mean i took apart an engine before but i never really put one back together. i knew about the rotors and stuff i just never really knew about other parts.... thats good to know tho.

Old 03-22-2005, 08:47 PM
builtfourspeed

Greg,
If you can swing it, i would replace all the pistons and rods at the same time, you race so your gonna be pushing the drivetrain hard and it would be a shame to put the whole motor back together just to loose it when one of the parts you didn't replace goes and maybe takes a piece of your block with it. If you have to reuse the pistons i would call around to your local engine shops, they will clean the parts right for you by either chemical boiling or high temp baking, and take a look at them and tell you if the still in good enogh shape to reuse, all machine shops should offer this service and for the amount of parts you have it should be very affordable. I would stay away from metal brushing and especially rotary wire cleaning the pistons sides, ring grooves, or surface, in my oppinion thats looking for trouble. Cast metal parts can easily be damged that way and if you were to even minorly score or mishape the piston ring grooves you could get oil blow-by if the rings do not sit correctly, as well as grooving on the piston surface can cause changes in the turbulance and combustion within the cylinder, just not a good over all idea when the risks are considered.
From personal experience, everytime i havent done something all the way, it has come back to bite me in the ***, one time with valve chunks flying out of my muffler at 135+mph. Anyway thats my two cents, good luck with the build and keep the info coming.
-Cheers

Old 03-23-2005, 12:20 AM
NYG
Veteran

Thanks for the feedback Builtfourspeed, My original intentions were to replace the Rods and Piston - but then I found out the price tag - it was over $120 per Rod/Piston - I thought that was a little pricey - plus since I am building up two engines - I would try to do it the least expensive way since I am learing to rebuild my engines - I did order a rebuild kit from howell Automotive last week - but it still has not arrived - it contains replacement pistons, New Crank and Rod Bearings, oil pump, and all the gaskets. I figure if I can get 4 or 5 races off the current engine - that would tell me I was alteast doing it right - and will sink the money slowly into the 2nd engine and do it right! I am for the most part buying Mopar parts except I am going to try the lower end rebuild kit from Howell.

The cleaner I was going to use is like a scouring pad - but will attach to my air drill - I figure if I keep the RPM's down and just take off the clumped up carbon build up on the surface will help a little bit.

Thanks
Greg

Old 04-09-2005, 05:17 PM
alphasonic210

if you use a wire brush it could pit the surface or make it unlevel that might not be a problem that you would want but they do sell cleaning pads for die grinders that will not hurt the surfae or take any of it a way that is your best bet. if you get a cleaner that is called grease off it will not hurt the piston and it will make the process go a lot easier.

Old 04-10-2005, 12:57 AM
SlowAssNeon
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah, ive used nothing other than a scotch brite pad attached to a drill (ya know, rounded pad, with the proper adapter to use pads with a drill) and cleaned them off just fine.

Old 11-25-2005, 05:42 AM
neonfreak1988

use mopar combustion chamber conditioner and some cheap brake cleaner. also a wire brush and possibly the wire wheel on a bench grinder if you are gentle enough. just make sure to take the rings out first. you might want to inspect the pistons closely for and any other damage before reusing them. if you can afford it, a piston and rod set would be worth it, but if you're short on cash, the old ones will do. that one piston is in pretty good shape compared to the one from my motor. the head got installed with a bent valve and it ended up getting stuck open, so when the piston came back up the valves got shoved through the center of the # 3 piston and snapping off the 2 valves. as a result, the piston broke in half and the skirt ended up going all througouht the -case. the combustion chamber got all torn to hell and the cylinder got scraped up beyond the repair of honing from the rod rattling around. basically it was totaled. luckily D.C. ended up paying for it because they found out that several hundred other cars got out of the plant with bent rods just like mine. anyways just a little fun story for ya. good luck with the motor

Quick Reply: What/How to clean my pistons